Batman '89 (2021)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 16 Feb 2021, 21:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Fri, 18 Aug 2023, 17:59 #390 Last Edit: Fri, 18 Aug 2023, 18:10 by Gotham Knight
https://comicbook.com/comics/news/dc-reveals-sequels-to-batman-89-and-superman-78-exclusive/

SEQUEL!

QuoteBATMAN'89 ECHOES: #1

Written by SAM HAMM

Art and cover by JOE QUINONES

Variant cover by RILEY ROSSMO

1:25 variant cover by DOUG BRAITHWAITE

1:50 variant cover by BALDEMAR RIVAS

Blank sketch variant

McFarlane Action Figure variant

$3.99 US | 32 pages | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)

ON SALE 11/28/23

You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts! After Harvey Dent's crusade against Gotham and Batman, the Caped Crusader has disappeared without a trace. In his place, ordinary citizens have taken to the streets to root out crime. As innocents get hurt, the question on everyone's mind is the same: Where is Batman? Sam Hamm, screenwriter of the 1989 Batman movie, and Joe Quinones reunite for another tale in Gotham!

Will be interesting. Wasnt 100% on 89 so I hope this feels a little more fleshed out

Looks like we got Scarecrow and a Lady Joker.(Harvey, Alicia?)

Exciting news. The previous comic fell short of an admittedly Herculean task - that being following up on Burton's Batman - but there's still plenty of potential here. I think they can still course correct some of the issues. Meanwhile, the art design still looks great.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Fri, 18 Aug  2023, 20:55Looks like we got Scarecrow and a Lady Joker.(Harvey, Alicia?)

Definite Batman Triumphant/Unchained influenced.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I'm really loving the new look for Bruce and the bat suit. It feels like they're more confident using Keaton's likeness. I look forward to Arkham as a setting. We all note of course the animated influence. Can't wait myself. So close too. November.

I think I'll skip out entirely, unless I hear some of you say it's actually worth reading. I thought the first run was absolutely terrible.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Fri, 18 Aug  2023, 21:29

Looks like they're using Goldblum as the model for Crane. Which is apt, considering he played Ichabod Crane in the 1980 Sleepy Hollow movie.

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 19 Aug  2023, 02:12
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Fri, 18 Aug  2023, 20:55Looks like we got Scarecrow and a Lady Joker.(Harvey, Alicia?)

Definite Batman Triumphant/Unchained influenced.

Seems that way. In which case it should be a Schumacherverse comic. Burton and Keaton had nothing to do with the development of Batman Unchained. This is like making a Superman '78 comic based on Bryan Singer's ideas for the unmade Superman Returns sequel. They're scraping the barrel at this point.

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Fri, 18 Aug  2023, 18:37Will be interesting. Wasnt 100% on 89 so I hope this feels a little more fleshed out
Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 19 Aug  2023, 15:34I think I'll skip out entirely, unless I hear some of you say it's actually worth reading. I thought the first run was absolutely terrible.

I'm willing to give the first couple of issues a look, but unless there's a significant improvement over the quality of the previous issues I won't bother reading the whole thing. It's non-canon anyway, and the novelty of a Batman comic visually influenced by Burton has worn off. Henceforth, this series needs to stand on its own feet. It can't just coast on nostalgia and Easter eggs like the previous issues did.

Using Scarecrow and Arkham is a step in the right direction, and I like how the new Batsuit resembles The Flash version. I wouldn't be surprised if they had Bruce don one of these other costumes at some point.

I'd be interested to see their version of it, but I don't believe Arkham existed in the Burton universe. Bringing Burton in line with established norms isn't interesting to me and there are other ways to show evolution. Bottom line, nothing in The Flash suggested the comic was canon. I was excited about the series when it was first announced, for obvious reasons. But now a second series just reminds me how things were fumbled in both print and live action. Nothing they show here will be legitimate in my eyes.