Batman '89 (2021)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 16 Feb 2021, 21:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Considering the TAS influences, I wonder if we'll see a Phantasm-style police chase?

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sat,  8 May  2021, 00:51
Considering the TAS influences, I wonder if we'll see a Phantasm-style police chase?

I think there's a good chance we will. Hamm wrote a similar scene in his Batman II script where Bruce was being pursued by the police through Gotham's central park. He eluded the cops by tying his cape and cowl to the pommel of a horse to create a diversion. It was immediately after this, while Bruce was unmasked, that he first encountered Robin. I'd be happy for Hamm to reuse this scene in the B89 comic.

Me too. If an idea was floated back in the day it's possible it would've been recycled later. The Bond movies did it frequently. Even if it's not Robin he meets or rescues him, but Selina. That would evoke The Mask of the Phantasm. Imagine if she brought him back to her apartment, or the new place where she happens to be living. Either option (meeting Robin or Selina) would be fine with me if Keaton found himself on the run.

Definitely a piece of evidence.

I'm thinking they are definitely referencing the Knox deleted scene as canon. 

Maybe not a big deal, but I see a detective with lady fingers. I'm thinking rookie Barbara, who may be a plant in the story in case they ever decide to turn it into an ongoing thing. Or Montoya?

Batman is presumed to be a criminal after the batarang is found stained in the Ice Princess' blood. We're led to believe his name is cleared when the signal is turned on at the end. But perhaps it's not so cut and dried and segments of the GCPD didn't feel the same way as Gordon? An order could still be out for Batman's arrest. Similar to the stance of Gordon in 2008's TDK: "If you got problems with malfunctioning equipment, I suggest you take them up with Maintenance, counselor."

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 13 May  2021, 00:44
Batman is presumed to be a criminal after the batarang is found stained in the Ice Princess' blood. We're led to believe his name is cleared when the signal is turned on at the end. But perhaps it's not so cut and dried and segments of the GCPD didn't feel the same way as Gordon? An order could still be out for Batman's arrest. Similar to the stance of Gordon in 2008's TDK: "If you got problems with malfunctioning equipment, I suggest you take them up with Maintenance, counselor."

Sounds like a likely scenario, what with Bullock being brought in. Batman being a killer in this universe certainly gives Harvey a much better footing as a character, too. Maybe he's leading a task force. The once publicly endorsed Batman now faces the other side.

If not Knox though, I am curious how the GCPD got that cowl and emblem. Maybe they nab it during the comic. Batman Unmasked! Could be a lovely thing that Catwoman could needle him with, being on the same side of the law now.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Thu, 13 May  2021, 14:42
Sounds like a likely scenario, what with Bullock being brought in. Batman being a killer in this universe certainly gives Harvey a much better footing as a character, too. Maybe he's leading a task force. The once publicly endorsed Batman now faces the other side.
Batman Forever referenced an evolution of Bruce's character several times. The B89 series seems like a ripe opportunity to comment on Keaton Batman's status as a crimefighter. Has he turned his back on lethal methods? Kilmer's Bruce used Chase to help heal his psyche. I like the idea Bruce and Selina work through their issues as kindred spirits, rather than leaving Selina's whereabouts unresolved ala the Schumacherverse. Bruce awkwardly asking Selina to come over and pick up her cat seems a good excuse as any to reunite.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Thu, 13 May  2021, 14:42
If not Knox though, I am curious how the GCPD got that cowl and emblem. Maybe they nab it during the comic. Batman Unmasked! Could be a lovely thing that Catwoman could needle him with, being on the same side of the law now.
If the equipment retrieval occurred during B89, the Knox deleted scene being canon makes the most sense. The GCPD's stance on Batman at that point had changed for the better, but they would have kept the items nonetheless. I don't where else it could have occurred otherwise. The other option is Batman began using the B89 emblem again after Returns.

Old picture, but re-released without cropping.

Looks...weird?

Wed, 26 May 2021, 15:54 #109 Last Edit: Wed, 26 May 2021, 17:49 by Gotham Knight
Cover art sneak peak. Variant cover by Jerry Ordway

Aside from the awful blue cowl, I like it.