Batman '89 (2021)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 16 Feb 2021, 21:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: GBglide on Thu, 18 Feb  2021, 02:09
No lenses in the batsuit. Other than that, it looks great.
In the context of a continuation I'm less stuffy about differences like this. The arsenal and suit changed between 1989 and 1992. It's logical to suspect that would have continued as the years progressed. Leaning on 1990s material like BTAS is fair given that's where the brand was back then. It's only when Schumacher took the reins did the tone change. The press release says the B89 comic will "continue the twisted adventures" and it references the "gothic mentality behind the world." So for now I'll trust they understand the brand they're working with.

I want Bruce to look as much like Keaton as possible.

I prefer Alfred to look like Michael Gough.
Same.

I can't stress enough how important for me it is how Gotham city looks! (it's one of my top wants)
The promo artwork gives me confidence in that regard.

Not sure what to think of the inclusion of Bullock.

Frankly, I don't need to see a variation on the established Batman mythos through a vaguely Burtonized lens. What I've wanted is some sort of continuation in the same vein as what Burton has already done. The idea of throwing in characters like Bullock, Robin, etc, is a risky move in my mind.

There are many comics where I'm willing to roll with the punches. But I will not go easy on anything that claims to be a continuation of the Burton movies. They're the ones reaching for the brass ring here. Not me. If they want to stand toe to toe with Burton then I have no choice but to evaluate their efforts on that level.

I just hope they're ready to deliver the goods.

Thu, 18 Feb 2021, 04:31 #32 Last Edit: Thu, 18 Feb 2021, 04:33 by GBglide
I find the artwork shown quite promising, I was just giving a "Christmas List" of wants.

I'd like that they keep the Twisted Burtoness too.   I hope they use the one side black/one side white idea for Two face, that Burton had mentioned.
I'd also like to see a Poison Ivy that is just as bizarre as she sexy. I have some ideas that I should draw one day.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 18 Feb  2021, 02:32
In the context of a continuation I'm less stuffy about differences like this. The arsenal and suit changed between 1989 and 1992. It's logical to suspect that would have continued as the years progressed. Leaning on 1990s material like BTAS is fair given that's where the brand was back then. It's only when Schumacher took the reins did the tone change. The press release says the B89 comic will "continue the twisted adventures" and it references the "gothic mentality behind the world." So for now I'll trust they understand the brand they're working with.

I can't stress enough how important for me it is how Gotham city looks! (it's one of my top wants)
The promo artwork gives me confidence in that regard.

Me too.

Robin feels like a scary expansion because we've lived with the reality of Keaton being a solo operator in two films for 30 years. But it's not a foreign concept given there were plans to introduce him. So I'm okay with them introducing him for real, and the same is true for Billy Dee Williams as Two-Face. But Bulloch is someone I don't need in the Burtonverse because we had Eckhardt in the first film. My hope is they don't seek to correct perceived negatives of the Burtonverse too much, such as Batman and Gordon's limited engagement with one another.

I'm kind of wanting them to somehow try and integrate unused concepts into canon, such as the Batman shop selling merchandise, Batwing parts being stolen, or some treasure hunt scheme. I think that would go a way to making the product feel authentic, and make it somewhat satisfying these ideas finally see the light of day in some fashion.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 18 Feb  2021, 05:37
Robin feels like a scary expansion because we've lived with the reality of Keaton being a solo operator in two films for 30 years. But it's not a foreign concept given there were plans to introduce him. So I'm okay with them introducing him for real, and the same is true for Billy Dee Williams as Two-Face. But Bulloch is someone I don't need in the Burtonverse because we had Eckhardt in the first film. My hope is they don't seek to correct perceived negatives of the Burtonverse too much, such as Batman and Gordon's limited engagement with one another.

I'm kind of wanting them to somehow try and integrate unused concepts into canon, such as the Batman shop selling merchandise, Batwing parts being stolen, or some treasure hunt scheme. I think that would go a way to making the product feel authentic, and make it somewhat satisfying these ideas finally see the light of day in some fashion.
I know what you mean with Robin. Personally, I can't imagine the Keaton Batman ever letting someone else tag along. His version feels like a loner and that's an aspect that I've always liked about his take on the character. However, as you already mentioned there were always plans for him to get a Robin at some point. If Burton had made a third installment I doubt he could've kept Robin out of it for a third time.

I can take or leave Bullock personally. However, I am excited to see that Batman finally interact with the Hingle Gordon. I just hope that the characteristics of Keaton's Batman are intact. For example I hope they don't have him delivering speeches to people in the Batsuit, or having extended conversations with people.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Thu, 18 Feb  2021, 12:48
I know what you mean with Robin. Personally, I can't imagine the Keaton Batman ever letting someone else tag along. His version feels like a loner and that's an aspect that I've always liked about his take on the character. However, as you already mentioned there were always plans for him to get a Robin at some point. If Burton had made a third installment I doubt he could've kept Robin out of it for a third time.
I have no doubt some stuff in the B89 comic will feel strange because there's such a huge void to fill in the timeline following BR. But I do think there would've been a conscious effort to make room for Wayans in Batman 3. When Schumacher came on board the course of history changed. 30 years later it's finally being continued properly. The Schumacher films aren't abominations but I've never considered them to be pure Burtonverse continuity. There's some narrative carryover in Forever, but everybody knows it's not how things would've been with Keaton. I'm relieved the comic/Flashpoint creative team had the sense to seperate the two eras.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Thu, 18 Feb  2021, 12:48
I can take or leave Bullock personally. However, I am excited to see that Batman finally interact with the Hingle Gordon. I just hope that the characteristics of Keaton's Batman are intact. For example I hope they don't have him delivering speeches to people in the Batsuit, or having extended conversations with people.
I agree. However I admit it would be interesting to see some acknowledgment of BR's conclusion. Gordon noting that the Penguin played the city like a harp from Hell, and that Batman is absolutely someone they can trust. He had developed a track record, even if he's still not exactly a talkative public figure.

Thu, 18 Feb 2021, 15:13 #36 Last Edit: Thu, 18 Feb 2021, 15:15 by Silver Nemesis
I've always thought of Eckhardt as the Burtonverse version of Bullock, or at least the corrupt early Pre Crisis version of the character.

Hamm tried introducing a less villainous Post Crisis take on Bullock (named 'Eddie Bullock') in his Batman II script. Eddie's function was basically to give Gordon someone to talk to and to hunt Batman after he was framed for Catwoman's crimes. With Dent becoming Two-Face in this comic, Gordon's going to need someone to bounce ideas off. Presumably that's why they're bringing in Bullock.

As for Robin – well, we're going to see Keaton's Batman fighting alongside a partner next year anyway when he teams up with Miller's Flash. Introducing a Burtonverse Robin in this comic might help fans acclimatise to seeing him work with a partner. I like how Hamm introduced Robin in his Batman II script, and if we get something along those lines here I'll be happy.

One of the things I'm looking forward to the most about this series is seeing Hamm's treatment of Two-Face. He's previously stated that the comic book Two-Face was an influence on the 1989 Joker, and we discussed those connections in some depth in the following thread: https://www.batman-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=264.90

In light of the Circe/Alicia connection, perhaps Hamm will finally reveal what really happened to Alicia. Did she throw herself out of a window, or is she still alive and performing as a masked dancer in Gotham's strip clubs like Circe did? 'Circe' could be Alicia's stage name. She might make an interesting companion for Dent following his disfigurement.

Hamm lay the foundations for his own version of Two-Face in the 1989 film, and now he's going to get the chance to fully realise his ideas in this new comic. He's got the benefit of later post-Burton Two-Face stories, such as Dent's Batman: The Animated Series episodes, The Long Halloween and The Dark Knight (2008), to draw inspiration from. If they get his dual personality right, then Billy Dee Williams' Two-Face has the potential to be one of the most interesting versions of the character. It'd be great if he played a prominent role in this comic before making a live action appearance in The Flash movie. Note that he isn't included among those early character designs, which suggests they're trying to keep his visual appearance under wraps.

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 17 Feb  2021, 01:40

Joe Quinones has recently shared some of his early character designs for Batman'89.

This Batsuit really is a perfect fusion of the two Burton costumes. It's got the cowl, chest emblem and trousers of the BR suit, mixed with the upper body of the B89 suit. I hope Keaton wears something similar to this in The Flash.

Quinones uploaded new black and white sneak peaks of Batman.

I'm glad to see he is drawing the Batsuit as identical as his other artwork. This seems to confirm he will have white lens on the eyes too. I'm not complaining, it's unique visual detail in the comics.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 18 Feb  2021, 15:13
Hamm tried introducing a less villainous Post Crisis take on Bullock (named 'Eddie Bullock') in his Batman II script.
I forgot about that. I'm finding myself lenient to additions if they have some grounding in prior scripts.

As for Robin – well, we're going to see Keaton's Batman fighting alongside a partner next year anyway when he teams up with Miller's Flash. Introducing a Burtonverse Robin in this comic might help fans acclimatise to seeing him work with a partner. I like how Hamm introduced Robin in his Batman II script, and if we get something along those lines here I'll be happy.
I'm excited about Keaton having a Robin, especially in the form of Wayans. I can't imagine his reaction if he was told about comic plans which may involve him. It's crazy he still receives residual checks, and those may be beefed up even more now. I'm totally up for a cameo in Flashpoint, especially if I like what they do with the comic. 

This piece of dialogue from the script from Robin would be good to splice into the comic: "You should've done it, man.  You should've killed her." Maybe put Batman in a position to kill Two-Face but have him declining. With Batman not responding, just standing there in silence. Leaving it open if he's evolving or simply sparing someone who became a friend.

I've always thought of Eckhardt as the Burtonverse version of Bullock, or at least the corrupt early Pre Crisis version of the character.

Hamm tried introducing a less villainous Post Crisis take on Bullock (named 'Eddie Bullock') in his Batman II script. Eddie's function was basically to give Gordon someone to talk to and to hunt Batman after he was framed for Catwoman's crimes. With Dent becoming Two-Face in this comic, Gordon's going to need someone to bounce ideas off. Presumably that's why they're bringing in Bullock.

One of the things I'm looking forward to the most about this series is seeing Hamm's treatment of Two-Face. He's previously stated that the comic book Two-Face was an influence on the 1989 Joker, and we discussed those connections in some depth in the following thread: https://www.batman-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=264.90

In light of the Circe/Alicia connection, perhaps Hamm will finally reveal what really happened to Alicia. Did she throw herself out of a window, or is she still alive and performing as a masked dancer in Gotham's strip clubs like Circe did? 'Circe' could be Alicia's stage name. She might make an interesting companion for Dent following his disfigurement.

Hamm lay the foundations for his own version of Two-Face in the 1989 film, and now he's going to get the chance to fully realise his ideas in this new comic. He's got the benefit of later post-Burton Two-Face stories, such as Dent's Batman: The Animated Series episodes, The Long Halloween and The Dark Knight (2008), to draw inspiration from. If they get his dual personality right, then Billy Dee Williams' Two-Face has the potential to be one of the most interesting versions of the character. It'd be great if he played a prominent role in this comic before making a live action appearance in The Flash movie. Note that he isn't included among those early character designs, which suggests they're trying to keep his visual appearance under wraps.

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 17 Feb  2021, 01:40

Joe Quinones has recently shared some of his early character designs for Batman'89.

This Batsuit really is a perfect fusion of the two Burton costumes. It's got the cowl, chest emblem and trousers of the BR suit, mixed with the upper body of the B89 suit. I hope Keaton wears something similar to this in The Flash.
I think Eckhart is more of a reference to something like Orson Welles in Touch of Evil than Bullock. I know people like to think that he's supposed to be this universes version of that character but I don't think so. Bullock didn't became a mainstay in the comics until late 1983, and Hamm wrote his first draft in 1986. I don't think Hamm would've considered putting a character that new into the script. I could be wrong though.

I actually just read the first Black Mask arc so now I finally understand who Circe is. There's definitely a similarity between her and Alicia. As for Alicia's death I do think she's dead. The only question I had was did she really commit suicide or did Joker kill her?