Batman '89 (2021)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 16 Feb 2021, 21:05

Previous topic - Next topic
I didn't like this one nearly as much. Not as much Batman, and the origin of Robin's name was a bit redundant. I think we all got it: "he's..robbin him". They didn't have to keep banging on the line over and over. The political themes were so over the top comical, it felt like it was written by a random on twitter. Gotham's aesthetic feels less and less like the Burtonverse.

I did like Catwoman/Selina, though. And the mention of Dr. Q(Harley) was pretty cool too. Hopefully #3 picks up for me. I liked #1, so hopefully this was just a dip in quality.

Think this is Billy Dee Williams first acknowledgement of the comic? Still cool!

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sun, 19 Sep  2021, 01:36
Think this is Billy Dee Williams first acknowledgement of the comic? Still cool!

Freaking sweet!!!

BATMAN '89 #5
WRITTEN BY SAM HAMM
ART AND COVER BY JOE QUINONES
VARIANT COVER BY ADAM HUGHES
$3.99 US | 32 PAGES | 5 OF 6 | $4.99 US VARIANT (CARD STOCK)
ON SALE 12/14/2

Harvey Dent enacts his plans for Gotham! He'll overthrow the Batman and assume his rightful place as its guardian. As Batman works to stop his friend Harvey, he finds himself vastly outnumbered by the forces at Harvey's disposal. He'll need to turn to some unlikely allies if he's going to turn the tide in his favor to protect his city and save his friend!

BATMAN '89 #6
WRITTEN BY SAM HAMM
ART AND COVER BY JOE QUINONES
VARIANT COVER BY JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO
$3.99 US | 32 PAGES | 6 OF 6 | $4.99 US VARIANT (CARD STOCK)
ON SALE 1/11/22

It's a battle between former friends for the heart of Gotham as Batman faces down Harvey Dent. Can Bruce save his friend before he goes too far, and what does this mean for the future of Gotham City?

I read the second issue. Solid stuff, I'm eagerly anticipating the third issue.

Quote from: Travesty on Fri, 17 Sep  2021, 13:49
I didn't like this one nearly as much. Not as much Batman, and the origin of Robin's name was a bit redundant. I think we all got it: "he's..robbin him". They didn't have to keep banging on the line over and over. The political themes were so over the top comical, it felt like it was written by a random on twitter. Gotham's aesthetic feels less and less like the Burtonverse.

The origin of Robin's name was definitely played for a joke, and not so subtle at that, but I thought the political themes were better than you're giving them credit for. If a highly opinionated, politically biased wanker from Twitter wrote this comic, they would've spent the whole time ranting on white privilege, patriarchy and even accuse Batman of not caring for the poor, as I've seen online from people who don't have the slightest clue about the character. They would've even have the thought of making him a dedicated philanthropist as Hamm is doing. Hamm's writing, in my opinion, is much more mature than that.

I will give you the lack of Burton's Gotham aesthetic is noticeable, and I hope they show more for the remainder of the story arc. I do hope we get to see Commissioner Gordon next issue, because other than that one scene in the first chapter he has been otherwise absent.

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Tue, 14 Sep  2021, 16:49
Harvey's story continues to be of interest as he has the most fleshed out in terms on the general story (of which he's being pulled at both ends). He's not against white people (clearly) but also being portrayed as a sell out on both sides. It's a balancing act that, as we see, he might not won. It makes me wonder how his duel personality will be difference from other incarnations of the character.

Good point. The social crisis puts Dent at odds in two occasions. At first, the leaders of the local council see him spurring outrage as a cynical agenda to satisfy his own political ambitions, and how his words might endanger the community to police brutality. Then when he does speak from the heart, he is condemned of using the police for political gain. Trying to please both sides in a complex situation is a win-lose situation, and gives him the harsh reputation as two-faced. No pun intended.

Minor spoilers:
Batman's negative influence continues with accidental deaths and an unofficial fan club's escalating violence that is responsible for Harvey Dent's destiny as Two-Face. For this, Dent's crusade against Batman is about to become personal, which will worsen Bruce's guilt much more in the next chapter, no doubt. And since the wannabe Batman gangsters have Drake in their crosshairs, I suspect Bruce will have his work cut out to gain his trust.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

They sure are overhauling it on references to previous works. The first one is based on a piece of promotional art that was used for merchandising like coloring books and puzzles. The second is taken from the Batman Returns Diet Coke commercial.

Also to note, we have a general idea "when" this takes place as the PlayStation was released on September 9, 1995 in the U.S. This is also the same year that Batman Forever was released (which also had a bank robbery involving helicopters, two-face, and Halloween) so this is shaping up to be an interesting parallel. Not to mention the Sonar Suit Easter egg (which was already teased a few months ago).

Yeah, Quinones has already confirmed that this comic is taking place in the mid-Nineties, albeit rather loosely.

https://twitter.com/Joe_Quinones/status/1410264836894773249

It's not a big deal, but I prefer the Burtonverse to be timeless. The biggest attraction for Burton's aesthetic is it merges the Thirties/Forties into the late Eighties/early Nineties together with his Gothic sensibilities - creating an otherworldly experience.

I saw this good video analysing the first issue and pinpointing the Easter egg references. Many of which have been already mentioned in this thread.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 28 Sep  2021, 15:03
Also to note, we have a general idea "when" this takes place as the PlayStation was released on September 9, 1995 in the U.S. This is also the same year that Batman Forever was released (which also had a bank robbery involving helicopters, two-face, and Halloween) so this is shaping up to be an interesting parallel. Not to mention the Sonar Suit Easter egg (which was already teased a few months ago).

Yeah, Quinones has already confirmed that this comic is taking place in the mid-Nineties, albeit rather loosely.

https://twitter.com/Joe_Quinones/status/1410264836894773249

It's not a big deal, but I prefer the Burtonverse to be timeless. The biggest attraction for Burton's aesthetic is it merges the Thirties/Forties into the late Eighties/early Nineties together with his Gothic sensibilities - creating an otherworldly experience.

I saw this good video analysing the first issue and pinpointing the Easter egg references. Many of which have been already mentioned in this thread.

Those are the guys who conducted the lovely Bachler interview. Here is there most recent easter egg hunt: