Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+ Series)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 11 Dec 2020, 00:03

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 13 Nov  2021, 14:31

The concept art looks pretty, but this entire project still strikes me as redundant.
Look, obviously tensions are still running a bit high when it comes to Star Wars these days. Because of that, it's easy to for people to be overly sensitive to stuff. Perhaps see passive-aggression where none was actually intended.

But for the past several years, Disney fans have kept throwing "canon" into everybody's face. "Lando is pansexual now, that's CANON!" and so forth. It's gotten to the point where "canon" is a bit of a dirty word to purist fans.

So, for Disney to release a teaser for a series that basically none of the purist fans want with a "Star CANON Wars" watermark... I mean, I want to believe that they're too professional to deliberately antagonize the fans. I'd prefer to think that I'm reading too much into it.

Thing is tho, Disney hasn't done a whole lot to win my trust here. So, even tho nothing else sets off my SJW radar in that video, Disney still hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt with me.

I grew up with the prequels and my opinion of them has shot up in recent times. I'm glad this timeline is getting attention, rather than the sequel trilogy era and beyond. But that opens up the possibility of things being tarnished. There is scope to fit in another confrontation between Vader and Kenobi, even if for the longest time people mentally accepted the Death Star encounter was their first rematch. I don't dislike Hayden in the role, and I'm glad he gets another shot. I won't lie - I'm eager to see how this project ends up, but I won't get too excited just yet.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 13 Nov  2021, 19:30
So, for Disney to release a teaser for a series that basically none of the purist fans want with a "Star CANON Wars" watermark... I mean, I want to believe that they're too professional to deliberately antagonize the fans. I'd prefer to think that I'm reading too much into it.
I'm not sure Disney did that. That's just the YouTube channel's name, right?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 13 Nov  2021, 23:55
I grew up with the prequels and my opinion of them has shot up in recent times. I'm glad this timeline is getting attention, rather than the sequel trilogy era and beyond. But that opens up the possibility of things being tarnished. There is scope to fit in another confrontation between Vader and Kenobi, even if for the longest time people mentally accepted the Death Star encounter was their first rematch. I don't dislike Hayden in the role, and I'm glad he gets another shot. I won't lie - I'm eager to see how this project ends up, but I won't get too excited just yet.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 13 Nov  2021, 19:30
I'm not sure Disney did that. That's just the YouTube channel's name, right?
I just streamed the thing here without opening the actual page. So, you might be right.

Like I say, tensions are running a bit high.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

And because it's May 4th.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Ewan McGregor on the prequels becoming more appreciated as time goes by:

It was tricky at the time. They weren't overwhelmingly embraced by everybody when they came out, our prequels. It was nice to watch them now knowing that people love them. That the kids who we made them for at the time — they loved those films a lot. It was nice to watch them with that sense.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/ewan-mcgregor-star-wars-prequels-reception-1235141565/

I'm looking forward to the new Obi-Wan Kenobi show. The only other Star Wars show I watched was The Mandalorian's first season, but I wasn't really a fan. Well made and looks cinematic, but it simply wasn't for me. It had nothing to do with heavy-handed sociopolitical messages like in TLJ, none of that existed in that season, I merely found the characters to be rather bland and uninteresting. But it certainly looked good, I'll give it that. Going back to seeing Obi-Wan after the events of Revenge of the Sith has a lot more potential.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Aside from the Reva Sevander character, whose motivations were all over the place, I enjoyed this show for what it was. I appreciate the Lightsaber duels and the little details that tie up between this and A New Hope ***MILD SPOILER***e.g. how Obi-Wan accepted that Anakin had died once possessed by the Dark Side and says goodbye by calling him Darth, as we heard him say during their subsequent and final battle in Episode IV.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei