Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 8 Dec 2020, 19:12

Previous topic - Next topic
While we're on the subject of Andrew Garfield, here is a snippet of this interview back in 2014, where he explains how Peter Parker might get along with some of the Avengers. He gives a very insightful explanation over why Peter would resent Tony Stark the most.

This perspective is far more thoughtful compared to Holland's hero worship in the MCU.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 24 Oct  2021, 05:48
While we're on the subject of Andrew Garfield, here is a snippet of this interview back in 2014, where he explains how Peter Parker might get along with some of the Avengers. He gives a very insightful explanation over why Peter would resent Tony Stark the most.

This perspective is far more thoughtful compared to Holland's hero worship in the MCU.
I can see that. I always figured that Tony's wealth and prestige is basically where the teenage Lee/Ditko or Lee/Romita character was going with his life. Not necessarily Tony's lack of ethics/morals but certainly Tony's level of money and likely fame. Basically, Lee's teenage Peter would've grown up to be sort of like Reed Richards with his scientific genius, Bruce Banner in terms of personality (not necessarily the most stable guy in the world) and Tony Stark in terms of wealth and power.

I have an entire fictional biography for how the Lee/Ditko Peter's life would've played out but it's way too long to post here. Bottom line, he would've had tremendous wealth and power at his disposal. His life in his late twenties and all of his thirties would've epitomized that whole "revenge of the nerds" thing.

Obviously, lesser writers kept wanting more of Peter the loser. But if we're being honest about who the character that Lee and Ditko created truly is then his future would've been bright indeed.

Wouldn't it be funny if Favreau was playing Foggy?

Tue, 9 Nov 2021, 17:22 #95 Last Edit: Tue, 9 Nov 2021, 18:22 by Silver Nemesis
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Tue,  9 Nov  2021, 15:18

Charlie Cox's Daredevil and Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man, my two favourite live action Marvel heroes, are appearing in the same movie. ;D My excitement for this film has now surpassed my hype for Keaton's return in The Flash.

Obviously I hope Cox will suit up and fight alongside the Spider-Men, but even if he doesn't, and it's just a cameo, this is still huge. It means that Cox is canonically the Daredevil of the MCU and will almost certainly be appearing in future films or TV shows.

Daredevil's message to his cancellers at Netflix:

I just pray Marvel doesn't screw this up.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  9 Nov  2021, 16:32
Wouldn't it be funny if Favreau was playing Foggy?

I hope they throw in a reference to that connection. Perhaps there could be a scene where Happy Hogan phones Nelson & Murdock trying to reach Matt, but ends up speaking with Elden Henson's Foggy. Or perhaps a scene where Spider-Man gets a glimpse of other Daredevils across the multiverse, including Smith and Affleck, and discovers that Hogan is Matt's law partner in an alternate reality. Casual viewers probably wouldn't get the joke, but Daredevil fans would.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  9 Nov  2021, 17:22
I hope they throw in a reference to that connection. Perhaps there could be a scene where Happy Hogan phones Nelson & Murdock trying to reach Matt, but ends up speaking with Elden Henson's Foggy. Or perhaps a scene where Spider-Man gets a glimpse of other Daredevils across the multiverse, including Smith and Affleck, and discovers that Hogan is Matt's law partner in an alternate reality. Casual viewers probably wouldn't get the joke, but Daredevil fans would.

I would like to see the Affleck version again. I've recently reconnected with his movie through the Director's Cut. Great stuff.

Tobey and Andrew look good, and very much in command. I buy them as seasoned superheroes. Their suits also remain fantastic, and are a welcome return after the MCU made Holland's uniform a piece of Stark equipment. I'm cool with webshooters, spider tracers and the like, but I feel anything more than that becomes excessive. His spider abilities should be more than enough.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  9 Nov  2021, 17:22
Charlie Cox's Daredevil and Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man, my two favourite live action Marvel heroes, are appearing in the same movie. ;D My excitement for this film has now surpassed my hype for Keaton's return in The Flash.
I have Maguire's return on equal footing with Keaton's. Both feel definitive in their roles. Or at least have so much nostalgia attached to them that makes them feel extra special. Word is Maguire and Garfield have a lot of screen time. This has the potential to be a very memorable experience indeed.

Judging from the poster, I am actually glad Gobby is going to be wearing his helmet/mask for at least some of the movie. I remember not being a huge fan of the mask when I first laid eyes on it back in late 2001/early 2002, but nostalgia, and simply getting used to it, has pretty much changed my feelings about it over time.

Plus, it was coming across like Dafoe's Green Goblin was going to be quite the Doc Ock emulator in this. Making Osborn the leader of the Sinister Six is one thing, having him, on top of that, wearing dark goggles too, is another. So, yeah. I'm actually glad that Goblin helmet mask is making a comeback now.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Thu, 11 Nov 2021, 16:39 #99 Last Edit: Thu, 11 Nov 2021, 16:41 by Gotham Knight
Got some rumor nuggets for you! Grain of salt as always!

Matty Murdock appears twice. He has the end credit scene where he discusses being a hero and there's a dramatic pan to his costume.

Venom is a mid credit guy. Peter has a job with Jameson at the Bugle, he meets Brock there.

Gobby wears the goggles in the first two acts. The Raimi helmet returns for the final act.

Both Toby and Andrew are in the movie a lot, but you'll get Andrew first and they build to Tobey.

Ned and May perish.Ned dies in ambiguous kind of way that leaves things open for a heel turn.

You see Raimi's MJ and an unnamed daughter when Tobey goes home. It is implied he got the happy ending.We see Mary Jane happy that Tobey's back, and they embrace and kiss, and then their daughter comes in, and Tobey gets down and hugs her. Andrew returns to his college.

The final swing cuts between the three Spider-Men in their own universes.

The awful Stark Tech Iron Spider crap (my phrasing) gets destroyed very early in Peter's first fight. Ock obliterates it.

The movie gets dark. All villains perish.

We don't learn a ton of new stuff about the multiverse, but forget spell works by "borrowing" parts of other universes/timelines where Peter's identity is still secret, but when it goes wrong, it ends up merging other elements from those universes into the main MCU.

Sandman sacrifices himself to save Spidey. He is killed by Electro.

The final battle is HUGE.

Get ready to cry. The Spidey themes return.

Happy dies, too.

Dafoe is a total monster. They really sell him as the worst villain yet.