Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 8 Dec 2020, 19:12

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 23 Aug  2021, 14:12My only reservation about that pic is the heavy use of blue screen. As a layman, I would imagine that would pose a problem considering the amount of blue in the Maguire and Garfield uniforms.

Then again, I might be missing something.
The photos are real. I've also seen the finished trailer with all the CGI inserted. It looks promising and fans will be excited. Makes me question how and why all these leaks are happening, though. The mystique they built up has been torn down in a short space of time. This is what happens when you drag your feet. The trailer should've been released long ago, and I hope the same doesn't happen with The Matrix 4 (Resurrections).

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Tue, 24 Aug 2021, 03:28 #72 Last Edit: Tue, 24 Aug 2021, 03:36 by The Dark Knight
Not a bad trailer. It sets up the concept and teases what's in store.

This movie might support the idea that the MCU is doing away with the concept of secret identities. In a certain type of way, secret identities are pretty impractical with today's technology. But since we're talking about a kid with spider powers and access to completely fictional technology who has fought aliens in different galaxies, I don't see why that kid having a secret identity is a deal-breaker for anybody.

But here we are anyway.

Tue, 24 Aug 2021, 09:53 #74 Last Edit: Tue, 24 Aug 2021, 13:25 by The Dark Knight
They have an easy escape route in terms of Peter's secret identity being restored, as the trailer demonstrates. I have, however, seen scuttlebutt that despite all Doctor Strange's interference, the film still ends with Holland's identity being known to the world. I like the romanticism and charm of secret identities and would prefer Peter's be restored. But I'm thinking perhaps it won't be.

It's been 14 years in between drinks for Maguire, and 7 for Garfield. I like how their presence in the film wouldn't rule anything out with the events following SM3 or TASM2. Whatever happened happened. We just didn't get to see it. Unlike Batfleck who goes from ZSJL to The Flash, cutting his projected arc short. I'm hoping No Way Home can help fill in that time gap in some way, even if minimally through dialogue.

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 24 Aug  2021, 03:24

I'm giving this a pass. Not even Molina, Dafoe or even Maguire and Garfield is getting me excited to see this. I would trade this for a fourth Sam Raimi-directed Spider-Man or TASM3 though. I just cannot sit through another MCU Spider-Man movie.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 24 Aug  2021, 10:51
I'm giving this a pass. Not even Molina, Dafoe or even Maguire and Garfield is getting me excited to see this. I would trade this for a fourth Sam Raimi-directed Spider-Man or TASM3 though. I just cannot sit through another MCU Spider-Man movie.

Whelp, I cannot say the same, as it's all the ingredients that relate to everything except the mouse's version of Spider-Man, that has me interested in this. Plus, the release date falls right on my birthday, and seeing Maguire, Molina, Dafoe, and to a lesser extent Garfield (although I have since appreciated him a lot more Post-MCU incarnation, but more ASM1 than ASM2 for sure) back is just too tempting. They certainly have been missed.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Did anyone else get BvS Superman vibes when MCU Peter was walking past that angry crowd?

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 25 Aug  2021, 19:15
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 24 Aug  2021, 10:51

Whelp, I cannot say the same, as it's all the ingredients that relate to everything except the mouse's version of Spider-Man, that has me interested in this. Plus, the release date falls right on my birthday, and seeing Maguire, Molina, Dafoe, and to a lesser extent Garfield (although I have since appreciated him a lot more Post-MCU incarnation, but more ASM1 than ASM2 for sure) back is just too tempting. They certainly have been missed.

I understand. But for me, I can't ignore the obvious fact that the film will focus more on Holland, and I can't help but suspect they will somehow neuter Maguire and Garfield in order to prop him up. But even if they don't, an MCU Spider-Man movie doesn't excite me at all. Not even when it brings back old favourites. That says quite a lot.

Regardless how I feel about No Way Home, I do believe it will be far more successful among audiences than The Flash will be. My confidence in The Flash has taken a nosedive and I do see it causing further division among the DC fanbase. We can thank Toxic WB for that.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 26 Aug  2021, 12:31
Did anyone else get BvS Superman vibes when MCU Peter was walking past that angry crowd?

Kinda, but even just going off the trailer, the whole scene featuring a angry crowd seems rather hollow due to the fact that Stark's ward is selfishly just going to ask for this to be undone by a in-universe sorcerer who's more than willing to comply.

QuoteI understand. But for me, I can't ignore the obvious fact that the film will focus more on Holland, and I can't help but suspect they will somehow neuter Maguire and Garfield in order to prop him up. But even if they don't, an MCU Spider-Man movie doesn't excite me at all. Not even when it brings back old favourites. That says quite a lot.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's pretty much another way to prop up the mouse's version. Homecoming was advertised with Iron Man heavily featured, Far From Home had the luxury of coming up right behind Endgame (kinda like with Captain Marvel being placed right before), along with falsely teasing the Multiverse concept, and now No Way Home featuring Spider-Men and villains from previous cinematic incarnations.

Gimmicks and to a lesser extent, timing are a given with this version. There's a reason why the No Way Home trailer has already surpassed The Batman in youtube view counts, and it's safe to assume it's because of the inclusion of Raimiverse villains. It's all that everyone is talking about.

QuoteRegardless how I feel about No Way Home, I do believe it will be far more successful among audiences than The Flash will be. My confidence in The Flash has taken a nosedive and I do see it causing further division among the DC fanbase. We can thank Toxic WB for that.

Yeah, The Flash movie is another that's being propped up by two awesome Batmen. As much as I love Batfleck, just having Keats back as Batman is what is REALLY drawing my interest for that film. If it was just a Flash movie featuring Ezra's Fash going up against a evil version of himself, then my interest would be much, much, MUCH more subdued.

I know you keep closer tabs on what's going on with the ilk currently running the show at Warners, and maybe I should be more concerned than I currently am right now because of all the behind the scenes shenanigans/script variables that can and usually do transpire under Warner productions, but Keaton returning as Batman is just too much of a "shut up and take my money" factor for me.

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 27 Aug  2021, 01:15
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 26 Aug  2021, 12:31

Kinda, but even just going off the trailer, the whole scene featuring a angry crowd seems rather hollow due to the fact that Stark's ward is selfishly just going to ask for this to be undone by a in-universe sorcerer who's more than willing to comply.

;D You put more thought into that than I did. I was merely comparing the imagery between the two movies.

I read that No Way Home even surpassed Endgame as the most watched MCU trailer. And yes, I agree that the Raimiverse characters making a comeback is making a massive contribution to the hype. Nearly twenty years later and they're still beloved. Can you imagine if we were getting Spider-Man 4 instead? Man, I'd argue the hype would've been greater than what NWH is getting.

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 27 Aug  2021, 01:15
Yeah, The Flash movie is another that's being propped up by two awesome Batmen. As much as I love Batfleck, just having Keats back as Batman is what is REALLY drawing my interest for that film. If it was just a Flash movie featuring Ezra's Fash going up against a evil version of himself, then my interest would be much, much, MUCH more subdued.

I know you keep closer tabs on what's going on with the ilk currently running the show at Warners, and maybe I should be more concerned than I currently am right now because of all the behind the scenes shenanigans/script variables that can and usually do transpire under Warner productions, but Keaton returning as Batman is just too much of a "shut up and take my money" factor for me.

Again, I totally understand where you're coming from. As I said in The Flash sub-forum, I think most of us thought the idea of Keaton making a comeback would remain a pipe dream, so I can't begrudge anyone for getting excited for the movie just for him alone. I was excited too at first, but too much rubbish happening behind the scenes, Warners' despicable PR and the conflicting rumours about the movie has soured my enthusiasm. My only hope is Keaton will put his foot down to make sure they don't make him look like a fool. Another part of me does find it hard to believe Affleck would return to get killed off after coming back to film the epilogue scenes for ZSJL with reportedly great enthusiasm. So much conflicting gossip, from Snyderverse getting erased to getting restored, to Affleck getting replaced by Keaton to expecting getting his cancelled Batman script coming to fruition and Keaton doing Batman Beyond.

But that all that Flash/DC talk belongs in the appropriate sub-forum.