The Flash (2022)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 14:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Thu, 22 Jul  2021, 01:33
Huge grain of salt as always. I've heard that Chris O'Donnell was spotted on the Flash set. George Clooney was not seen, but is believed to be filming a cameo. Val Kilmer is said to have done a screen test but declined in the end to participate after all. Robin is said to make a surprise save.

This would fit with the rumours of a third Batman appearing. If Barry does visit the Schumacherverse, I hope it's not done in a snide way. By all means keep the nipples on the costumes, but don't draw attention to them in the dialogue. I don't want Barry saying, "Uh, why have you, like, got nipples on your costume?" as though it's some hilariously original observation that no one's ever pointed out before. Keep the colourful lights and comic book visuals, but do it respectfully.

As for O'Donnell, I'd love to see him appear as Nightwing. In many ways, I regard O'Donnell as the true star of the Schumacher movies. Unlike Kilmer and Clooney, he appeared in both films. He had to train in martial arts and wear an uncomfortable rubber costume, just like the Batman actors did, and his character's story arc was as integral to the duology as Batman's was. Perhaps even more so. BF is his origin story, while B&R is centred around the highs and lows of his partnership with Batman. The next step would have been to show him maturing into Nightwing and striking out on his own. There were hints of this in the original B&R script, and the idea would have been explored more thoroughly in Batman Unchained and the spinoff Nightwing movie they were planning. Nightwing is the natural conclusion to Dick's character arc that began in BF.

Many fans feel we were cheated out of more adventures from Keaton's Batman. The two films we got with him were great, but there should have been at least one or two more. Now, thirty years later, we're finally getting them. I don't feel anywhere near as strongly about the lost potential of O'Donnell's Robin, but I do have a sense that his story wasn't quite concluded. If they show him as Nightwing in The Flash, it'll serve as a nice coda to the Schumacher films and might help raise interest in a Batman '95 comic.

It would be a pity if Kilmer has passed on returning, but understandable in light of his health problems. I hope he'll give the studio permission to use his likeness though. I think I'd prefer to have Kilmer's face mapped onto a stand-ins body using deep fake technology than have Clooney return.

If the Flash arrives in the Schumacherverse and finds Batman and Nightwing fighting King Tut, I will squeal with delight.

After all the mockery it would be a huge deal for Chris and a George to actually agree to this. When you digest the history of 1997's Batman and Robin, the idea they would be resurrected even for a brief cameo has far less probability than Keaton coming back. That movie has been something the brand has tried to bury under an avalanche of darkness and realism. Would Chris and George thus see this as redemption and alter their performance somewhat? Do they embrace the public sentiment and use their backs as whipping posts for parody?

I'm suspecting the powers that be couldn't resist some snide reference. My hope would be playing it straight (no pun intended) as much as possible and just letting their universe be what it is. Kilmer is my man in terms of the Schumacherverse. Health issues aside, it would make more sense for Clooney to be present if they're still fighting crime years after B&R, rather than before the events of that film.

I think one reason to believe that a visit to the Schumacherverse will be done tastefully is because Schumacher so recently died.

Also, I've read that the jab at Schumacher in the BTAS episode "Legends Of The Dark Knight" caused a major league crap storm behind the scenes. Apparently, heads rolled over that. I'm honestly surprised that brief scene has not been retroactively cancelled.

You know what? I actually feel the same. And maybe part of it is the undeniable reality of Keaton,which eases my mind enough to say...I miss Val. The Gotham Knight of 12 years ago is dead. I wish it were Val and not George only because I think Val was more present. Hope something can be arranged. I hoper Earth-95 is out there!

Leslie Grace has been cast as Batgirl. I'm posting this news here, since it has some bearing on Bat-Keaton's future and it's possible she might appear in The Flash.

https://deadline.com/2021/07/batgirl-leslie-grace-lands-role-in-warner-bros-dc-film-1234797608/

Representation matters, except when it comes to gingers.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 22 Jul  2021, 22:24
Leslie Grace has been cast as Batgirl. I'm posting this news here, since it has some bearing on Bat-Keaton's future and it's possible she might appear in The Flash.

https://deadline.com/2021/07/batgirl-leslie-grace-lands-role-in-warner-bros-dc-film-1234797608/

Representation matters, except when it comes to gingers.

I was called istophobe for pointing this out years ago. And as a redhead, I have skin (or hair anyway) in this game.

What an underwhelming, predictable choice with 'best person for the job' being the company line. Can't deny my enthusiasm has dropped. I want Poison Ivy in live action again, but that now comes with a big risk. A beautiful, obvious choice redhead like Jessica Chatstain would be overlooked for someone who ticks other predetermined boxes. When you start pandering you can't help but ignore other groups. So just cast for comic accuracy.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 22 Jul  2021, 23:54
What an underwhelming, predictable choice with 'best person for the job' being the company line. Can't deny my enthusiasm has dropped. I want Poison Ivy in live action again, but that now comes with a big risk. A beautiful, obvious choice redhead like Jessica Chatstain would be overlooked for someone who ticks other predetermined boxes. When you start pandering you can't help but ignore other groups. So just cast for comic accuracy.
Strange how the "best person for the job" is always someone who looks nothing like the character.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 23 Jul  2021, 01:25
Strange how the "best person for the job" is always someone who looks nothing like the character.

Just like the black Superman project, this is only a PR stunt in a desperate attempt to discredit any discrimination accusations. "See, we can't be racist like Ray Fisher and Ice Cube say we are, we cast POC actors in superhero roles! Please don't think we're weaponising representation to make ourselves look good".

Expect Toxic WB to continue doubling down with such stunts.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Thu, 22 Jul  2021, 22:12
You know what? I actually feel the same. And maybe part of it is the undeniable reality of Keaton,which eases my mind enough to say...I miss Val. The Gotham Knight of 12 years ago is dead. I wish it were Val and not George only because I think Val was more present. Hope something can be arranged. I hoper Earth-95 is out there!
Back to this. The Keaton timeline now officially ignores the Schumacherverse. But I don't see why the Schumacherverse should be erased. It would be good to know those incarnations are still out there fighting the good fight in another timeline. Unfortunately I don't call the shots, but closing a potential revenue stream would be unwise. Just as nostalgia exists for Burton, a degree still exists for Schumacher. A quick cameo would do wonders.