Michael Keaton in talks to return as Batman

Started by Silver Nemesis, Mon, 22 Jun 2020, 19:07

Previous topic - Next topic
I can't see Kilmer suiting up. If he does, it'll be because he wants to do it for a laugh rather than because the event organisers pressured him to. I'm thinking of his appearance on Life's Too Short.

There have been numerous rumours regarding DC movies over the past few months, and in three days' time we should finally learn which are true and which are false. Based on the reliability of the sources, my own questionable judgement and pure conjecture, here are my predictions regarding the veracity of some of those rumours.

Ryan Reynolds returning as Green Lantern for the JL Snyder Cut: FALSE

Ben Affleck returning as Batman for an HBO Max movie or miniseries: FALSE

Michael Keaton returning as Batman for The Flash: TRUE

Keaton appearing in some kind of mentor/Batman Beyond movie further down the line: TRUE

Johnny Depp playing the Joker in Batman Beyond: FALSE

Kilmer announcing an official extended cut of Batman Forever: TRUE

Tim Burton returning to the DC universe in some capacity: ...?

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/dc-fandome-schedule-changed-cancelled-movies-batman

Three days from the event and panels are being massively reorganized and rescheduled. The mass layoffs happened last week so I don't know that they have anything to do with these changes. Maybe some other shoe is about to drop?

It does seem odd to be making such drastic alterations to the schedule this close to the event. Hopefully it's because they've got more content than they'd realised, and not because of any technical problems or legal complications behind the scenes.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 19 Aug  2020, 14:34
If he does, it'll be because he wants to do it for a laugh rather than because the event organisers pressured him to. I'm thinking of his appearance on Life's Too Short.
That's my assessment too. I don't really care if he suits up or not, and nobody would be forcing him to do anything he doesn't want to. His joking tweet about wearing the suit shows he's the one teasing the idea, and the cynic in me assumes it's to cover up his neck. Really hoping there's a Schumacher Cut announcement.

The Hall of Heroes content is all going ahead as planned. All the other Explore The Multiverse stuff will be shown in September. I'm totally fine with that, and can see their reasoning. Let's face it, the great majority of people would binge Hall of Heroes and those encores, leaving everything else largely untouched on the table.

Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 20:07 #114 Last Edit: Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 20:12 by Gotham Knight
Vanity Fair is reporting that Affleck is returning. It's official with a statement from the director.

It mentions Keaton, but it's tacked on as though its official and it is not. Keaton is still a rumor, and I'm getting worried.

I think I'm steadily losing interest. (No offense intended to the Affleck fans.)

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Thu, 20 Aug  2020, 20:07
Vanity Fair is reporting that Affleck is returning. It's official with a statement from the director.

It mentions Keaton, but it's tacked on as though its official and it is not. Keaton is still a rumor, and I'm getting worried.

I think I'm steadily losing interest. (No offense intended to the Affleck fans.)

Andy Muschietti also confirms that Michael Keaton has a "substantial" role in the film.

QuoteMichael Keaton's Batman from the 1989 Tim Burton film is also set to appear in what Muschietti said was a "substantial" part.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/08/ben-affleck-returns-batman-the-flash-multiverse-keaton

This is the first time he's acknowledged Keaton's involvement in the movie, which I guess makes it official. ;D

Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 20:20 #116 Last Edit: Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 20:36 by Gotham Knight
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 20 Aug  2020, 20:16
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Thu, 20 Aug  2020, 20:07

Andy Muschietti also confirms that Michael Keaton has a "substantial" role in the film.

QuoteMichael Keaton's Batman from the 1989 Tim Burton film is also set to appear in what Muschietti said was a "substantial" part.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/08/ben-affleck-returns-batman-the-flash-multiverse-keaton

This is the first time he's acknowledged Keaton's involvement in the movie, which I guess makes it official. ;D

He does mention the retroactive inclusion of cinematic Batmen, I may have spoken in haste, but I want an actual official word that unveils Michael Keaton, not vaguely kinda sort of acknowledge that he's sort of in it. Or he is? And all it was an afterthought

EDIT: Forgive my outbursts. It does seem legit now, but it seems so 'oh yeah, that old guy.' They spend too much time shining Affleck's ass in my opinion. Nothing against the guy.

I think The Flash is going to serve as a send-off for Batfleck, with him passing the torch to a new DCEU Batman (most likely Keaton). There were two Batmen in the original Flashpoint comic, but judging from the Vanity Fair interview it sounds like the new movie might see Barry travelling through several alternate realities instead of just one and encountering multiple Batmen along the way. This raises the possibility that Kilmer, Bale and Pattinson could also appear. Perhaps a CG Adam West?

Muschietti's comments make it sound like Keaton's role will be bigger than just a cameo. The early reports of Keaton's involvement stated that the movie would end with Barry returning to his own universe expecting to find Batfleck, only to discover that Keaton has replaced him. The confirmation of Affleck's involvement would seem to support this.

At any rate, we'll learn more on Saturday. :D

Numerous outlets are now reporting that both Affleck and Keaton are returning, including Variety: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/ben-affleck-batman-the-flash-1234741992/

Bat-Keats and Batfleck are going to appear in the same film. Just let that sink in for a moment. Did you ever imagine you would see these two guys – not just the actors, but the characters – in the same movie?

Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 21:36 #119 Last Edit: Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 21:37 by The Dark Knight
Ben Affleck back as well? This is even better than we thought possible, and it seems like both Affleck and Keaton have SUBSTANTIAL roles. That brings both Affleck and Keaton up to three films each.

Even if the HBO Max Batfleck series doesn't happen (that could still be possible in the Snyder timeline), we have this and it's a heartwarming bonus. Who seriously thought this would happen? It shows Ben appreciates the character - he just rightfully hated the Whedon situation. The statement mentions Affleck as Bruce Wayne. I think it would include suiting up as well.

Very much agree with the prediction this is a handover film, establishing Keaton as the new DCEU Batman in what has been reported as an ONGOING mentor role, leaving the door open to Beyond.

The two best Batman ever in one movie. This is a golden age for the franchise.

I'm so happy right now. Batman fans can't lose.