Michael Keaton in talks to return as Batman

Started by Silver Nemesis, Mon, 22 Jun 2020, 19:07

Previous topic - Next topic
Michael Keaton's physical build is of little concern to me.

The guy looked physically fit in Birdman, and if his build is anywhere similar to that for his return as Batman, that is more than sufficient. At this stage, Keaton's Batman would have been coping with growing physical limitations for some time now, and it's a detail that, ideally, should be highlighted. Course this was addressed with Bale's Batman needing a mechanical knee brace in DKR, and I believe Batfleck also made a remark about his own body breaking down being of some concern in Josstice League.

Rather than focusing on Keaton's physical build, I would rather see his return as Batman emphasize his valorous internal drive in remaining vigilant as Gotham's guardian. That in spite of his physical set backs, Bruce's undying commitment to the mission that he thrust upon himself decades ago, burns as bright as ever.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Just to clarify my previous post, I wasn't suggesting Keaton should be obligated to get jacked. If he shows up and plays the role exactly as he did before, I'll be perfectly content. I'm supporting him 100% either way. I'm just saying that the option's there to build on what he did in 1989 and 1992 and address some of the criticisms that certain quarters have directed towards his Batman. Speaking as someone who spent an unhealthy amount of time debating 'Baleheads' between 2005 and 2012, one of the biggest criticisms that kept cropping up was Keaton's lack of physical commitment to a character that's meant to be in peak physical condition. Actors generally like to challenge themselves, and judging from his more recent work Keaton's no exception. He's demonstrated a willingness to get in shape in the past – for example, Desperate Measures – and doing so now might help him re-engage with the physical side of the character.

Nowadays superhero actors are expected to resemble the characters they're portraying, and this has led to the custom of the so-called 'validation scene'. Audiences won't necessarily expect Keaton to comply with this tradition on account of his advancing years. But if he did, it might help lay to rest some of the more persistent criticisms of his interpretation. How many Affleck sceptics changed their tune when they saw the training scene in BvS? In Batman 89 Knox describes Batman as being six feet tall. This time he could actually look six feet tall. He could resemble the Bruce Wayne from the comics more closely than he did in his youth. It all depends how committed Keaton is to the physical side of the role. No one expects him to go as far as Bale or Affleck did. However if he did get in shape – and his physique in Birdman would be fine – then it would help sell his incarnation to the younger fans that have been reared on the Nolan and Snyder Batmen. They won't share our loyalty towards Keaton's iteration, and this might help win them over.

Again, I'm not saying Keaton should feel obligated to do this or that I'll be disappointed if he doesn't. I'm just saying he has a unique opportunity to build on his earlier performances and perfect his version of Batman. He only had about two months to train for Batman 89, but he's got well over six months to prepare for Flashpoint before filming is scheduled to commence. It's up to him how he uses that time. I want to see the mental and intellectual aspects of the character represented as much as everyone else, but Bruce Wayne is meant to have trained his mind and his body to peak condition. The cerebral and physical aspects of the character are not mutually exclusive. We can have both. We already know Keaton can be psychologically credible in the role. Given the choice between a Bruce who's in shape and one who isn't, I'd prefer one who is. But it's not a deal breaker. I'll be thrilled to see Keaton return, no matter what shape he's in.

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 25 Jun  2020, 00:56
Rather than focusing on Keaton's physical build, I would rather see his return as Batman emphasize his valorous internal drive in remaining vigilant as Gotham's guardian. That in spite of his physical set backs, Bruce's undying commitment to the mission that he thrust upon himself decades ago, burns as bright as ever.
Indeed. Never underestimate the power of the brooding man. The suspicious man who has cameras behind windows (Knox and Vale), records conversations ("anonymous tip, Napier's cleaning out Axis Chemicals" or jams signals (BR's Penguin army). It would be right up Keaton's alley to control drones and the like from the cave, if that route was ever taken.   

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 24 Jun  2020, 23:35Keaton can say what he likes about only wanting one appearance as Batman. But take a look around, the good will and excitement that this announcement has generated is insane. This level of buzz is surely enough to get all parties involved a little more motivated to make a deal.
I think it would be best to go all out with Keaton for the Flash film, regardless of future plans. He's thought of as a legend already, but it's incalculable just how high his standing would rise if this deal was made.

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Wed, 24 Jun  2020, 22:44
Edit 2: Isn't it ironic that Ben Affleck's final outing as batman *minus the snider cut* included the resurrection of Keaton's Batman theme.
Imagine if Elfman does return and also uses his Josstice League Flash theme.

I saw this manip of how Keaton's face would like now if he were to don the cowl again, using this screenshot from BR.

Sure, it might be a cheap edit that lacks shadows and contrast, but regardless, I'm convinced he still looks youthful enough in the Batsuit. Even if he wouldn't wear the costume for real, I suppose it's hypothetically possible to digitally add his face without de-aging him too much.

But whether this rumour of him returning under any capacity is true remains to be seen.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 25 Jun  2020, 03:57
I saw this manip of how Keaton's face would like now if he were to don the cowl again, using this screenshot from BR.

Sure, it might be a cheap edit that lacks shadows and contrast, but regardless, I'm convinced he still looks youthful enough in the Batsuit. Even if he wouldn't wear the costume for real, I suppose it's hypothetically possible to digitally add his face without de-aging him too much.

But whether this rumour of him returning under any capacity is true remains to be seen.
Literally putting on the outfit could be asking for trouble these days, esp when mo-cap isn't as probably safer for someone Keaton's age and also it isn't as ridiculously expensive as it was even just ten years ago. I can't make any predictions but I'd imagine at least some of the suit (if he wears it) (which I'm secretly hoping he won't) would require CG substitutions of some kind. The chest plate, the cape and the cowl, especially. And if you're mo-capping/CG'ing that much of the suit, why not go the full nine with it and digitally create the entire thing?

Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 05:09 #45 Last Edit: Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 05:21 by eledoremassis02
It still kills me that most of the capes are CG in these new films. I get why but...

edit: I'm watching the animated Dark Knight returns film and I think there is a lot that they can use that could work with this Batman. Using the smoke to have the shadows show the fight

and I'd also love to see this with Keaton

It's not too far off how he was in Axis chemicals, which is why I probably love this so much. But artistic liberty to have Keaton do stuff (He did more in Returns than 89 so there is also that to consider) and not have it all be stunt doubles and CG.

Someone else has made the point that WB will want Keaton in the suit for at least one scene, if only for merchandising reasons. They'll want to sell action figures and other toys based on his Batman. If it was a CW show, then I'd expect him to spend the entire film in civilian clothes. But with this being a big budget movie, I'm almost certain he'll don the cowl at least once. Even if it's just mo-cap.

Here are some images courtesy of Instagram user that_flash_guy: https://www.instagram.com/that_flash_guy/?utm_source=ig_embed

For what it's worth, I've seen another person online with an inside source – one that's been correct in the past – claiming that the deal is done and that Keaton's on board. This person is also claiming that one of Keaton's terms was that Tim Burton be hired to direct the Batman Beyond project.

There's a lot of speculation that the BB film will focus on Bruce mentoring Batgirl rather than McGinnis. If this is so, then which Batgirl should it be? Obviously it won't be Barbara Wilson, as she'll no longer be part of the Burtonverse (to be honest, that actually makes me a little sad). Some fans are saying it should be Bruce and Selina's daughter or granddaughter. In keeping with the Earth-Two comparisons, they could draw inspiration from the Pre-Crisis Helena Wayne. Or should they just base her on Barbara Gordon and make her the granddaughter of the late Commissioner Gordon?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 25 Jun  2020, 11:18
For what it's worth, I've seen another person online with an inside source – one that's been correct in the past – claiming that the deal is done and that Keaton's on board. This person is also claiming that one of Keaton's terms was that Tim Burton be hired to direct the Batman Beyond project.
Man. If this actually happened my head would spin.

Keaton, Bale and Affleck are men who are very loyal to their respective directors. I could see Burton's possible return at least being raised by Keaton if he was genuinely interested in making The Big Comeback. His modern work hasn't set my world on fire, but I feel that Burton would rise to the occasion if he indeed made another Batman movie. Throw in Danny Elfman and the band would be back together. And to be absolutely clear, I was critical of Elfman IN THE CONTEXT OF AFFLECK'S BATMAN. For Keaton? Go all out with that classic theme. That's where it belongs.

Gotta keep a lid on expectation, but it's hard not to get carried away with excitement. Adam West is John Wayne, and Michael Keaton is Clint Eastwood.

There's a lot of speculation that the BB film will focus on Bruce mentoring Batgirl rather than McGinnis. If this is so, then which Batgirl should it be? Obviously it won't be Barbara Wilson, as she'll no longer be part of the Burtonverse (to be honest, that actually makes me a little sad). Some fans are saying it should be Bruce and Selina's daughter or granddaughter. In keeping with the Earth-Two comparisons, they could draw inspiration from the Pre-Crisis Helena Wayne. Or should they just base her on Barbara Gordon and make her the granddaughter of the late Commissioner Gordon?
Hmm. I'd have to give more thought as to who exactly it should be, but as said, I'd be okay with Batgirl serving this function.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 25 Jun  2020, 11:45
Man. If this actually happened my head would spin.

Keaton, Bale and Affleck are men who are very loyal to their respective directors. I could see Burton's possible return at least being raised by Keaton if he was genuinely interested in making The Big Comeback. His modern work hasn't set my world on fire, but I feel that Burton would rise to the occasion if he indeed made another Batman movie. Throw in Danny Elfman and the band would be back together. And to be absolutely clear, I was critical of Elfman IN THE CONTEXT OF AFFLECK'S BATMAN. For Keaton? Go all out with that classic theme. That's where it belongs.

Gotta keep a lid on expectation, but it's hard not to get carried away with excitement. Adam West is John Wayne, and Michael Keaton is Clint Eastwood.

Hmm. I'd have to give more thought as to who exactly it should be, but as said, I'd be okay with Batgirl serving this function.
I heard that rumor about Keaton preferring Burton's return. Originally, I was prepared to put that down to fanboy wishful thinking.

But the more I think about it, the more the notion of Batman mentoring McGinnis or Batgirl might actually play strongly to Burton's preferences these days. If what we were talking about was yet another outing with Keaton as a driven avenger of the night in a nightmare fairy tale world, idk if Burton is that guy anymore. But Batman as a sorta mentor figure to a young person would be a good bridge between Burton's two worlds.

Interesting idea, I must say.

Generally speaking, I'm guessing being a mentor would be the hook that appeals to Keaton, offering him the point of difference to what he's already done with B89/BR. Some actors need that type of mental justification before committing to roles, especially after so much time has passed. What's new? Why is this interesting? I can see Keaton asking those types of questions. His Batman never had a Robin under his wing, despite plans for that to happen. He doesn't NEED this movie, but if the option is there, being a mentor represents 'unfinished business'.