Michael Keaton in talks to return as Batman

Started by Silver Nemesis, Mon, 22 Jun 2020, 19:07

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 19 Aug  2020, 14:34
I can't see Kilmer suiting up. If he does, it'll be because he wants to do it for a laugh rather than because the event organisers pressured him to. I'm thinking of his appearance on Life's Too Short.

There have been numerous rumours regarding DC movies over the past few months, and in three days' time we should finally learn which are true and which are false. Based on the reliability of the sources, my own questionable judgement and pure conjecture, here are my predictions regarding the veracity of some of those rumours.

Ryan Reynolds returning as Green Lantern for the JL Snyder Cut: FALSE

Ben Affleck returning as Batman for an HBO Max movie or miniseries: FALSE

Michael Keaton returning as Batman for The Flash: TRUE

Keaton appearing in some kind of mentor/Batman Beyond movie further down the line: TRUE

Johnny Depp playing the Joker in Batman Beyond: FALSE

Kilmer announcing an official extended cut of Batman Forever: TRUE

Tim Burton returning to the DC universe in some capacity: ...?
They announced an extended cut of Batman Forever?!

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 22 Aug  2020, 21:24
I don't think this art necessarily reflects exactly what the final suit will look like, but it does give us an idea of the sort of designs they're contemplating. I expect the finished suit will be reasonably close to this – basically an improved version of the 1989 costume, perhaps incorporating elements (specifically the cowl) of the Returns suit.

Yeah, that's what I am thinking too. Updated suit, but remaining clearly recognizable/distinguishable for Keaton's Burtonverse Batman.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Man, we got Keaton and Affleck coming back, and then Robert Pattinson's Batman is coming out after.

What a great day to be a Batman fan. I mean, damn.

Quote from: Travesty on Sun, 23 Aug  2020, 01:38
Man, we got Keaton and Affleck coming back, and then Robert Pattinson's Batman is coming out after.

What I also think, is that Affleck's role will provide a TRUE AND HEARTFELT FINALE for his incarnation in a way that surpasses Bale. If they have a tragic, bittersweet type conclusion it's very hard to compete with that, as opposed to living happily ever after. Imagine if Batfleck gets closure with alternate reality Thomas, says goodbye to Ezra and others, and gets closed off from the multiverse forever as his own seperate timeline. I'm hoping for that - because it's emotional also doesn't rule out HBO Max shows with him.

I do think we're in a cinematic golden age right now.

This is definitely a golden age. I didn't even think half of this stuff would be possible. And we just got an excellent Joker movie 6-8 months ago.

I mean, I'm riding high right now. The only bummer, is the videogame department, and that's about it. And even that isn't terrible.

Quote from: Travesty on Sun, 23 Aug  2020, 01:38

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 23 Aug  2020, 01:45
What I also think, is that Affleck's role will provide a TRUE AND HEARTFELT FINALE for his incarnation in a way that surpasses Bale. If they have a tragic, bittersweet type conclusion it's very hard to compete with that, as opposed to living happily ever after. Imagine if Batfleck gets closure with alternate reality Thomas, says goodbye to Ezra and others, and gets closed off from the multiverse forever as his own seperate timeline. I'm hoping for that - because it's emotional also doesn't rule out HBO Max shows with him.

I do think we're in a cinematic golden age right now.

Nothing to add, quoting for agreeing, as happy and excited as anyone with this. Plus those great teaser/trailers for JL and The Batman.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 22 Aug  2020, 21:24
I don't think this art necessarily reflects exactly what the final suit will look like, but it does give us an idea of the sort of designs they're contemplating. I expect the finished suit will be reasonably close to this – basically an improved version of the 1989 costume, perhaps incorporating elements (specifically the cowl) of the Returns suit.

Pretty much what I thought by seeing this concept art, an improved/updated version of Keaton's classic look from 89/BR.

Andy Muschietti posted this sketch on Instagram and tagged both Keaton and Affleck in the description.

The long ears and slightly Burtonesque chest emblem make me wonder if this is hinting at what Keaton's new batsuit might look like. Obviously it's not official concept art or anything like that, but it does offer insight into Muschietti's personal perspective on how the character should look.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 25 Sep  2020, 14:11
Andy Muschietti posted this sketch on Instagram and tagged both Keaton and Affleck in the description.

The long ears and slightly Burtonesque chest emblem make me wonder if this is hinting at what Keaton's new batsuit might look like. Obviously it's not official concept art or anything like that, but it does offer insight into Muschietti's personal perspective on how the character should look.

Possibly, though the rumors I've heard is that the marketing people were pushing hard for the new suit to basically be the old suit. Slight changes so they can market it as BATMAN TM from THE FLASH (2022)TM, but similar enough to the old suits that they can push a nostalgia wave. In other words, they want to renew interests in buying the old stuff again, too. 

Not sure if this is the best thread for it but allegedly Christian Bale is being wooed to come back as Batman too.

This is starting to get... idk, weird. I mean, the Crisis Arrowverse crossover already looked amateurish af. But whatever, let the good times roll, I guess.

That won't play as well with Flashpoint tho. Flashpoint isn't Crisis. Flashpoint is Flashpoint. Flashpoint is basically an alternate universe where, essentially, one decision Barry unilaterally made had ripple effects he could never have imagined. The purpose Batman plays in that story is to serve as arguably the best example of just how drastically different the Flashpoint world was from what fans were used to. Bigger stuff would come along later, of course.

That was the whole point of it. So this idea of throwing all these other Batmen in there is just idiotic. I'm willing to bend the rules of the story to suit Keaton returning as Burton's Batman. But these rumors are true then it really looks like Flashpoint is going in a bizarre direction.

Over and above everything, Bale had his send-off with the character. Love or hate TDKRises, it puts a bow neatly around the Nolan trilogy and Bale's custodianship of the character. Namely, that Bale's Batman died in the nuclear blast. Bringing him back is just gilding the lily for that version of the character.

Meanwhile, Keaton never really got his swan song with the character. It makes a lot of sense to bring him back for an extended role in the film. And who knows, maybe that can serve as his big finale or maybe other appearances will follow. I'm open to either one.

We won't make these decisions, I know. But I'm not liking some of what I'm hearing right now.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Mon, 28 Sep  2020, 14:12
Possibly, though the rumors I've heard is that the marketing people were pushing hard for the new suit to basically be the old suit. Slight changes so they can market it as BATMAN TM from THE FLASH (2022)TM, but similar enough to the old suits that they can push a nostalgia wave. In other words, they want to renew interests in buying the old stuff again, too.
Makes a ton of sense. Put me down for this idea, too.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 28 Sep  2020, 22:42
Not sure if this is the best thread for it but allegedly Christian Bale is being wooed to come back as Batman too.
The multiverse works well for Batfleck, because when you're a part of the Justice League it's creativity unchained. It's also a more fantastical world, but ideally I would probably prefer BatKeaton being his own thing in his own universe. But I'm not saying no to what I thought would be impossible: Keaton's return. So I'm embracing it, and think it'll be fun.

Bale coming back is something else though. I don't believe it at the moment, and IMO ideas are being thrown out there during a moment of speculative chaos.

It's of course possible a 'real world'  exists in a multiverse, but I don't think it plays that well. Like the Battinson series, keep it self-contained. I'm quite a big fan of TDK Rises now and like that being the final word on his timeline. Being approached is one thing, I'd be shocked if Bale agreed.