Superman (1948)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 12 Jan 2020, 20:19

Previous topic - Next topic
I don't know if there are many fans of old movie serials on this site, but I thought this one certainly deserved its own thread.

Unlike the Batman serials, the 1948 Superman begins with a leisurely-paced depiction of the title character's origin story. This established a precedent where Superman adaptations would begin with his origin, while most Batman films and TV shows would begin with the title character already established.

The Kryptonian capital in the first chapter exhibits an art deco futurist architectural style. This was the aesthetic guys like Tim Burton and Paul Dini were trying to recapture in the early nineties. I love it!

Superman's origin story in the serial very much reflects the early Golden Age Earth-Two comics. The Kryptonians are said to be a race of Supermen, all of whom possess the same powers as Kal-El. Their sun is blue rather than red, which suggests it's far younger than the Rao of later comics.

The same animators behind the Fleischer Studios shorts were responsible for the scene where Krypton blows up, as well as the Superman flying sequences.

This serial (or the radio series it was adapted from) established the idea of Clark's first trial being a tornado tearing through his hometown. The tornado scenario would be revisited in comics such as Jeph Loeb's A Superman for All Seasons and Geoff Johns' Superman: Secret Origin, as well as the first season finale of Smallville. In the film serial Clark saves his father's life during the tornado. I wonder if this inspired Jonathan Kent's death scene in Man of Steel.

The 1948 serial also set the precedent of navigating Kal-El's back story in three leaps: his infancy, his teenage years, and finally his young adulthood. The first episode of the fifties TV show would also do this, as did the 1978 film and Man of Steel.

This serial marks the debut of Noel Neill as Lois Lane. Between the movie serials and the fifties TV show, Neill must have played Lois more times than any other actress. In her youth she bore a striking resemblance to Jessica Jones star Krysten Ritter.

The first time we see Lois in the 1948 serial she's sat on a train, with Jimmy Olsen occupying the seat opposite her. When Neill appeared as Lois's mother in the 1978 Superman film she was also sat on a train, only then the opposite seat was occupied by Kirk Alyn. In both scenes Neil's character is sat on the left side of the frame. Did Donner do this on purpose as a nod to her debut scene in the serial?

Superman holding the railway track in place as the train passes by in the second chapter foreshadows a similar moment in Superman: The Movie.

Both scenes reflect a memorable moment from 'The Dam' (Action Comics Vol 1 #5, October 1938).

Perry and Jimmy also appear. You could make a drinking game based on the number of time Jimmy gets beaten up. He seems to get knocked out in almost every chapter.

Kryptonite is introduced in the third chapter. The scene where Clark is first exposed to it is almost identical to a scene in the Lois & Clark episode 'The Green, Green Glow of Home' where Cain's version gets his first dose of k-radiation.

The scenes of Lois trying to scoop Clark also foreshadow the rivalry between Cain and Hatcher's characters in the first season of Lois & Clark. There's a scene in one of the film serial's chapters where Lois lends Clark her car and then reports it as stolen. That's exactly the kind of thing Hatcher's Lois would have done in the nineties.

The villain is a generic masked femme fatale known as the Spider Lady. In all fairness, the comic book Superman's gallery of rogues wasn't terribly impressive at this time. So it's not as if they had a lot of villains to choose from. The entrance to the Spider Lady's secret hideout was filmed in Bronson Canyon, the same location used for the Batcave entrance in the 1966 Batman movie and TV show.

Superman outfoxes the Spider Lady in the final chapter by pretending to succumb to kryptonite so one of her goons will carry him to her secret lair. He then springs to life and reveals that he's shielded himself from the harmful radiation by wearing a lead lining beneath his costume. But his hands and face remain exposed. So how was he immune to the effects of the k-radiation? I have no idea. The serial's more or less ended by that point, so there's no point overthinking it.

To be brutally honest, I was never that impressed by Alyn's performance as Superman. He had a good physical build for the part, and his costume was decent, but there's something wooden about his take on the character. The serial feels rather like a dry run for The Adventures Superman TV series. And considering Alyn's second Superman serial was released just two years before George Reeves' debut, I find it impossible not to compare the two. But to my mind, Reeves was the superior actor and brought a whole new level of charisma to the role. Alyn had a more comic-accurate physique, but he didn't have Reeves' relaxed screen presence.

I also think Alyn's performance compares unfavourably to Bud Collyer's. Alyn had a weird way of delivering the "This looks like a job for SOOperman!" line where he almost sounded as though he was trying not to laugh. By contrast, Collyer would typically drop his voice an octave midsentence to make Superman sound more masculine than Clark. Alyn's Superman is lacking those humorous touches.

So as far as ranking the Golden Age Superman actors goes, I'd definitely place Alyn below Collyer and Reeves. Then again, Collyer and Reeves were exceptionally good in the role. I don't mean any disrespect to Alyn. I don't think he was bad in the role. Just adequate. The most memorable performance in the 1948 serial comes from Neill, and it's not hard to see why they brought her back for the Reeves television show.

On the whole, I prefer the 1940s Batman film serials to the 1948 Superman serial. The Superman serial might have better production values, but the Batman serials were unintentionally hilarious and more exciting. Kryptonite plays a very small role in the Superman serial, and there's nothing in the story to really test Superman physically or mentally. There's also too much recycled footage of Superman taking off in an alleyway and landing back in the storeroom at the Daily Planet building. I lost count of the number of times they reused that footage. But it's still a charming and entertaining specimen of a bygone era, even though it does start to drag in the second half.

I've seen bits of Atom Man vs. Superman (1950), but I've never watched the whole thing right the way through. I'm going to try and get hold of a copy soon. Has anyone seen it, and if so is it better than the 1948 serial? Are there any fans of Alyn's Superman on this site? How do you feel the 1948 serial compares to other superhero serials of that vintage?

The first serial is interesting for its historical value but, honestly, that's about it. AMVS is basically skippable. Movie serials were somewhere in their death spiral by the time AMVS went into production. Serials weren't exactly high art to begin with but a lot of serials in the fifties are just plain unbearable. AMVS isn't a major exception to that. It's mostly for completionist types. It is interesting to note that AMVS is the first live action depiction of Lex Luthor (spoiler alert!). And arguably, it's the truest portrayal of the Pre-Crisis mad scientist Luthor. Possibly the only one, in fact.

Regarding the Noel Neill angle, it's a pretty commonly overlooked fact that her performance as Lois originated from the serials rather than the TV show.

Having said that, it rarely gets asked if Neill was a better Lois than Phyllis Coates. But then, that's probably beyond the scope of this thread.

I'm not really familiar with the film serials of the fifties. I remember watching reruns of the Batman and Flash Gordon serials when I was a child, but they all dated from the thirties and forties. I'm a sucker for Golden Age comic book stuff, so I would like to see Atom Man vs. Superman at some point, even if it is bad. I'm also keen to watch the 1943 Phantom and 1944 Captain America serials.

But I can't argue with your assessment of the 1948 Superman serial. I enjoyed it, though mostly for its kitsch retro charm and the novelty factor. There's nothing in it that hasn't been done better in later adaptations, and it doesn't have the quality of the Fleischer Superman shorts. The Batman serials are more watchable IMO on account of their slightly darker atmosphere and comedy value (they're basically the West Batman, minus the ironic self-awareness). Batman also works better on a lower budget than Superman, and I think Lowery's performance as the Caped Crusader was legitimately decent. His costume wasn't that bad.

Ok, maybe it was...

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 12 Jan  2020, 21:35Regarding the Noel Neill angle, it's a pretty commonly overlooked fact that her performance as Lois originated from the serials rather than the TV show.

Having said that, it rarely gets asked if Neill was a better Lois than Phyllis Coates. But then, that's probably beyond the scope of this thread.

Nobody else seems interested in this serial, so we may as well use this thread for something. Do you have a preference between Neill and Coates?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 13 Jan  2020, 19:47I'm not really familiar with the film serials of the fifties. I remember watching reruns of the Batman and Flash Gordon serials when I was a child, but they all dated from the thirties and forties. I'm a sucker for Golden Age comic book stuff, so I would like to see Atom Man vs. Superman at some point, even if it is bad. I'm also keen to watch the 1943 Phantom and 1944 Captain America serials.
People with a better awareness of serials than me argue that the form peaked circa 1944 or so. The stuff after that was mostly diminishing returns.

I've seen people say that there's a hell of a thesis waiting to be written on precisely why the movie serial declined. I guess I never thought it was a complicated thing. The proliferation of television mixed with serials being a fad in the first place mixed with Hollywood leaning in to gimmicks like different widescreen formats and audio soundtracks all pretty much spelled the doom of serials, which depended upon cheap production values and an at-best complacent audience.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 13 Jan  2020, 19:47But I can't argue with your assessment of the 1948 Superman serial. I enjoyed it, though mostly for its kitsch retro charm and the novelty factor. There's nothing in it that hasn't been done better in later adaptations, and it doesn't have the quality of the Fleischer Superman shorts. The Batman serials are more watchable IMO on account of their slightly darker atmosphere and comedy value (they're basically the West Batman, minus the ironic self-awareness). Batman also works better on a lower budget than Superman, and I think Lowery's performance as the Caped Crusader was legitimately decent. His costume wasn't that bad.

Ok, maybe it was...
Frank Miller is quite an apologist for those old Batman serials. He says that fight choreography like that is probably the closest to what Bill Kane and Bob Finger had in mind in the first place. You could argue those Batman serials are the only true adaptations the Golden Age Batman ever had. And I'd be willing to listen to that, btw.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 13 Jan  2020, 19:47
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 12 Jan  2020, 21:35Regarding the Noel Neill angle, it's a pretty commonly overlooked fact that her performance as Lois originated from the serials rather than the TV show.

Nobody else seems interested in this serial, so we may as well use this thread for something. Do you have a preference between Neill and Coates?
I always thought Neill played Lois as the sort of "ideal 1950s housewife" who somehow fell bass-ackwards into a career at the Daily Planet. She has a lot of charm in the role and I always enjoy her.

But the simple fact of the matter is that she's just plain soft. I could never believe that she's capable of putting herself into such dangerous situations or that she'd then be capable of escaping from them. Superman or no Superman, Neill's Lois just. Doesn't. Have it.

Coates? Totally different story. She's tough as nails and her tongue is even sharper than her pen. You cross her, she'll make you pay. Period. That's a good dynamic to play against the natural charm and easy smile of George Reeves. He's unaffected by the Coates portrayal of Lois. That version of Superman can disarm that version of Lois with a smile and a gentle quip. It's an incredibly unique dynamic and it's kind of a mindjob to think nobody has ever tried to replicate it even though it plays like gangbusters.

To give Neill her due, she was cast well against Kirk Alyn. They looked good together and my memory of those Superman serials is that Alyn played the character with a bit of a gosh darn golly gee whiz quality that Neill's wholesome qualities matched up well against. Frankly, I think Alyn is only memorable at all because he was the first AND because his chemistry with Neill suited the material quite well.

Neill was woefully miscast in AOS though. This I do affirm.

Wed, 15 Jan 2020, 23:53 #4 Last Edit: Wed, 15 Jan 2020, 23:56 by Silver Nemesis
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 14 Jan  2020, 00:16People with a better awareness of serials than me argue that the form peaked circa 1944 or so. The stuff after that was mostly diminishing returns.

I've seen people say that there's a hell of a thesis waiting to be written on precisely why the movie serial declined. I guess I never thought it was a complicated thing. The proliferation of television mixed with serials being a fad in the first place mixed with Hollywood leaning in to gimmicks like different widescreen formats and audio soundtracks all pretty much spelled the doom of serials, which depended upon cheap production values and an at-best complacent audience.

It was always my understanding that TV killed the movie serial format (and dampened the popularity of radio dramas) by providing episodic entertainment people could enjoy in their homes. Though I would argue that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is, to an extent, a modern extension of the old movie serial format: it provides open-ended long-form narratives spread across multiple big screen 'episodes' released in close proximity to one another. If the MCU films came out once every three years, I doubt they'd have been so successful. The momentum built by the short intervals between each entry hooks audiences in the same way the movie serial cliffhangers once did. At least that's my take.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 14 Jan  2020, 00:16Frank Miller is quite an apologist for those old Batman serials. He says that fight choreography like that is probably the closest to what Bill Kane and Bob Finger had in mind in the first place. You could argue those Batman serials are the only true adaptations the Golden Age Batman ever had. And I'd be willing to listen to that, btw.

Interestingly, there is some evidence in the Bronze Age comics to suggest that the 1943 serial is part of the Earth-Two canon. I'll quote one of my own site features on this point:

While Daka was created especially for the film serial, he did eventually make the transition into the comics during a storyline that ran in All-Star Squadron Vol 1 #42-43 (February-March 1985).

Although this story was published during the Bronze Age, it is set during the Golden Age – specifically 1942, one year before the events of the film serial – and is part of the Earth-Two canon. The portrayal of Daka in the comics is consistent with how he is depicted in the film serial. In both stories he is the leader of a criminal cult and is on a mission to acquire new technology on behalf of the Axis powers. His pursuit of the Gravity Rod in the comics reflects his pursuit of the Radium Gun in the film serial.

I'll end this analysis with an interesting nugget from writer Roy Thomas, taken from the letters page in All-Star Squadron Vol 1 #47 (July 1985). When one fan praised the character of Daka and asked if he would return in future stories, Thomas gave the following response.

Batman adaptations are generally regarded as taking place in universes separate from those of the comics. But here Thomas suggests the events of the 1943 Batman serial will occur after the events of All-Star Squadron Vol 1 #42-43. He assures another reader that Daka has vowed to return in search of more weapons technology. And while this never happened in the comics, the film serial does show Daka returning in 1943 in an effort to procure the Radium Gun. Are we then to take it that Lewis Wilson's Batman is in fact the Golden Age Batman of Earth-Two? Or is this just a writer having fun with his readers?

https://www.batman-online.com/features/2018/1/26/batman-1943-and-the-comics

I'd like to encourage more discussions on this site about the Batman movie serials. There's a lot to be said about them.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 14 Jan  2020, 00:16I always thought Neill played Lois as the sort of "ideal 1950s housewife" who somehow fell bass-ackwards into a career at the Daily Planet. She has a lot of charm in the role and I always enjoy her.

But the simple fact of the matter is that she's just plain soft. I could never believe that she's capable of putting herself into such dangerous situations or that she'd then be capable of escaping from them. Superman or no Superman, Neill's Lois just. Doesn't. Have it.

Coates? Totally different story. She's tough as nails and her tongue is even sharper than her pen. You cross her, she'll make you pay. Period. That's a good dynamic to play against the natural charm and easy smile of George Reeves. He's unaffected by the Coates portrayal of Lois. That version of Superman can disarm that version of Lois with a smile and a gentle quip. It's an incredibly unique dynamic and it's kind of a mindjob to think nobody has ever tried to replicate it even though it plays like gangbusters.

To give Neill her due, she was cast well against Kirk Alyn. They looked good together and my memory of those Superman serials is that Alyn played the character with a bit of a gosh darn golly gee whiz quality that Neill's wholesome qualities matched up well against. Frankly, I think Alyn is only memorable at all because he was the first AND because his chemistry with Neill suited the material quite well.

Neill was woefully miscast in AOS though. This I do affirm.

I've seen Superman and the Mole Men a few times in recent years, but it's been well over a decade since I watched the Adventures of Superman TV show. I'd need to re-familiarise myself with the two performances before venturing an opinion of my own. But your argument for preferring Coates is well reasoned. I do get the impression most fans prefer Neill, though that could simply be on account of how prolific she was in the role compared to Coates. Either way, I need to revisit that series.