Batman Beyond with Michael Keaton

Started by johnnygobbs, Mon, 21 Oct 2019, 00:30

Previous topic - Next topic
A new rumour has been posted today by some blog site called Giant Freakin' Robot stating they have "insider sources" telling them Keaton has signed a multi-picture deal. In addition to The Flash, Keaton will not only return for BB, but also appear in Batgirl and Nightwing.

Just as I said about Warner Butchers allegedly wanting Jared Leto back for Beyond, I reckon this Keaton rumour is all made up. He will unlikely ever suit up again after The Flash, and I don't see the point of him reprising the role of an older Bruce Wayne outside of the post-Burtonverse/Beyond continuity. Besides, there were rumours that JK Simmons is expected to reprise the role of Jim Gordon for Batgirl. If they were to have both actors reprise their roles for this movie, that would make Bruce the same age as Gordon. If not older.

It makes zero sense, and I don't buy any of it.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 31 Aug  2021, 08:45
A new rumour has been posted today by some blog site called Giant Freakin' Robot stating they have "insider sources" telling them Keaton has signed a multi-picture deal. In addition to The Flash, Keaton will not only return for BB, but also appear in Batgirl and Nightwing.

Just as I said about Warner Butchers allegedly wanting Jared Leto back for Beyond, I reckon this Keaton rumour is all made up. He will unlikely ever suit up again after The Flash, and I don't see the point of him reprising the role of an older Bruce Wayne outside of the post-Burtonverse/Beyond continuity. Besides, there were rumours that JK Simmons is expected to reprise the role of Jim Gordon for Batgirl. If they were to have both actors reprise their roles for this movie, that would make Bruce the same age as Gordon. If not older.

Giant Freakin Robot are notorious for handing out bad information, or aptly what I like to call 'guessology.' We Got This Covered is another infamous website that never gets anything right. What they do, and they're pretty okay at it, is try and anticipate what's coming. To that end they sling as much crap against the wall as possible. When they stumble upon something that happens to be right, they add it to the mantle so that when they post more stuff they can cry wolf. "The same source that was right about a, b, and c, are telling us x,y, and z."

While I do think it is possible that Keaton may have some kind of future, I don't think GFR knows anything about it. Pay them no attention. Nobody does.

Batman '89 artist Joe Quinones posted this on Twitter. He captioned it as a "'Keatonverse' Batman Beyond" sketch.

https://twitter.com/Joe_Quinones/status/1434663682156503041/photo/1

There's no reason for this film not to happen, other than poor judgement on the part of the studio. They have the rights to the property, they've got the lead actor back on board, and the fans are crying out for it. Instead of wasting millions of dollars producing multiple R-rated Harley Quinn movies that bomb at the box office, they should fast track Batman Beyond.

Well, that didn't age very well. >:(

In addition to Keaton's rumoured appearance in Aquaman 2, I have a hard time believing Batman Beyond will happen now . I assume Keaton will be a mentor to Barbara Gordon in Batgirl, and if Nightwing does happen, he will mentor Dick Grayson too. So where would that leave Terry McGinnis? To me, it seems very redundant to have yet another protege, unless they flash forward and have BB set later on in the future.

I don't know where this is going. I've daydreamed what would it be like for Keaton making a comeback, but this isn't what I expected or wanted. If it were up to me, I would've just had Keaton do BB instead.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  6 Feb  2022, 05:21

Well, that didn't age very well. >:(

In addition to Keaton's rumoured appearance in Aquaman 2, I have a hard time believing Batman Beyond will happen now . I assume Keaton will be a mentor to Barbara Gordon in Batgirl, and if Nightwing does happen, he will mentor Dick Grayson too. So where would that leave Terry McGinnis? To me, it seems very redundant to have yet another protege, unless they flash forward and have BB set later on in the future.

I don't know where this is going. I've daydreamed what would it be like for Keaton making a comeback, but this isn't what I expected or wanted. If it were up to me, I would've just had Keaton do BB instead.
If the job is going to get done "right", you need a movie where [INSERT WHITE MALE CHARACTER HERE] admits to being failure while acknowledging his own obsolescence and then passes the baton to [INSERT NON-WHITE NON-MALE CHARACTER HERE].

Obviously then, there's no way to adapt Terry McGinnis as we know him while maintaining that formula.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun,  6 Feb  2022, 08:28
If the job is going to get done "right", you need a movie where [INSERT WHITE MALE CHARACTER HERE] admits to being failure while acknowledging his own obsolescence and then passes the baton to [INSERT NON-WHITE NON-MALE CHARACTER HERE].

Obviously then, there's no way to adapt Terry McGinnis as we know him while maintaining that formula.

What are the odds that everything you predicted will happen in Batgirl? In that case, there's certainly no need to make Batman Beyond.

If there is no BB then what the hell is the endgame for Keaton's Batman?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun,  6 Feb  2022, 08:28If the job is going to get done "right", you need a movie where [INSERT WHITE MALE CHARACTER HERE] admits to being failure while acknowledging his own obsolescence and then passes the baton to [INSERT NON-WHITE NON-MALE CHARACTER HERE].

It's been obvious to me for a while that the Beyond dream with Burton coming back to direct is nothing but a fantasy. I feel comfortable in saying what we see now is what we're getting.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 16 Dec  2021, 06:56And my concern is that the Batgirl movie will serve as Keaton's Beyond inspired mentor movie.
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 17 Dec  2021, 12:45
If Keaton is a mentor in Batgirl, are they going to present the same concept in live action again a short time after? At the moment I'm leaning on the perhaps not side. Are they going to do a time jump to cyberpunk if they want Keaton in a contemporary ongoing role? Maybe not. Then you have to consider who that student would be. It's Woke World, so you bet they're going to be female and of color. They have those boxes ticked already. I'm not saying it will happen, but you have to think this way. I say brace yourself for the possibility.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon,  7 Feb  2022, 22:59

With the "current" regime at WB, I don't even think they know. As it's been very much a, "Yo, let's just throw stuff at the wall, and pray something sticks!" approach from them for quite a while now.

The merger is drawing nearer, and changes will be coming. Once the current names at the very top begins to shift, cause nothing remains static with mergers on this level (the book "Fools Rush In" by Nina Munk gives a very insightful account on what can happen), and we start seeing some official announcements made, then and only then will we get a idea of whats truly to come. Cause the incoming names are going to be a lot less married to what's going on with "Batgirl" and whatever the current ideas are for DC films in general, than Hamada and the current regime.

Course the rot is pretty bad right now in WB, but I expect some divergence to current DCEU plans post-merger (especially considering Hamada's abysmal track record). Just how dramatic? We'll see.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Fri, 11 Feb 2022, 13:08 #18 Last Edit: Fri, 11 Feb 2022, 13:10 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 10 Feb  2022, 03:18
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon,  7 Feb  2022, 22:59

With the "current" regime at WB, I don't even think they know. As it's been very much a, "Yo, let's just throw stuff at the wall, and pray something sticks!" approach from them for quite a while now.

Agreed 100%. Their lack of planning has been obvious for years now. But I'm still baffled over how Keaton's comeback appears to be getting bastardised by shoehorning him into this incompatible continuity. If Tim Burton isn't even approached as a creative consultant then it makes Keaton's return even more shallow, in my opinion.

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 10 Feb  2022, 03:18
The merger is drawing nearer, and changes will be coming. Once the current names at the very top begins to shift, cause nothing remains static with mergers on this level (the book "Fools Rush In" by Nina Munk gives a very insightful account on what can happen), and we start seeing some official announcements made, then and only then will we get a idea of whats truly to come. Cause the incoming names are going to be a lot less married to what's going on with "Batgirl" and whatever the current ideas are for DC films in general, than Hamada and the current regime.

Yeah, I'd be very disappointed if the Discovery merger doesn't result in significant and positive changes. From what I've read, mergers don't tend to happen if businesses are successful, nor do they keep under-performing executives.

This reminds me of a section I read in Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobiography. When Total Recall was about to come out in 1990, Arnold found out the film wasn't generating enough buzz despite it was only three weeks away from opening night, and he blamed TriStar Pictures for the shoddy marketing campaign. It turns out TriStar and Columbia Pictures were in the middle of a merger with Sony at the time.

Arnold, being the clever businessman he is, had no confidence in the current regime at TriStar, and he decided to directly contact B89 producers Peter Guber and Jon Peters - who were hired as new executives at the company. He convinced them to hire an outside marketing agency to quickly revamp Total Recall's marketing, including new trailers. As a result, Total Recall's fortunes were turned around in such a short period of time.

The most important takeaway is Arnold knew TriStar was undermined by crappy executives who were looking after their own self-interests, and he even told Guber he had to clean house and get rid of the old guard. According to Arnold, he knew Guber and Peters - as ruthless as they were - were hungry for success, and didn't care too much about who started productions, but he has mentioned that a change in studio management does normally hurt upcoming movies, because the new people coming in have their own goals and agendas. Primarily, they are eager to do anything to make the previous administration to look bad.

As long as Discovery is willing to give fans what they want, whether it's Batman Beyond or ZSJL 2 and 3, I have no problem at all if they do everything to humiliate the current regime.

Sam Raimi wants to make a Batman film:

Quote"I've always loved Batman. If I ever saw the Batsignal up in the air, I'd come running."
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/sam-raimi-wants-to-make-batman-movie-exclusive/

I say let him do it. Obviously I want Matt Reeves to continue with his trilogy, but Raimi would be perfect for Batman Beyond. Few filmmakers have directed, written and/or produced as many superhero projects as he has (the Darkman trilogy, M.A.N.T.I.S., the Spider-Man trilogy, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness) and he's a massive comic book fan and collector. I read somewhere that he applied to take over the Batman franchise following Burton's departure in the nineties but was turned down in favour of Schumacher. I'd have a lot more faith in Raimi to deliver a good Batman movie now than I would in Burton.