Bat-Keaton to be referenced in upcoming Arrowverse crossover

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 19:36

Previous topic - Next topic
Looks like the Burtonverse Bruce ended up marrying Selina. Should we consider this canon now?

Also, Burt Ward has been pictured filming on location.

That looks like the sort of jumper Dick used to wear, and it has Robin's familiar colours. Is the dog meant to be Ace?

Whether it's canon or not, Bruce and Selina marrying at some point in the Burtonverse is something I can get on board with. It's another component that mirrors Batsy's Earth-Two history.

Hmmm, if Burt Ward is playing Dick Grayson from the Dozierverse, I wonder whether he remained as Robin (like Earth-Two), or became a version of Nightwing? The Batman '66 meets Wonder Woman '77 comic mini series suggested the latter.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 11 Oct  2019, 23:25

Whether it's canon or not, Bruce and Selina marrying at some point in the Burtonverse is something I can get on board with. It's another component that mirrors Batsy's Earth-Two history.

Honestly, I'm not too keen on this happening in the Burton continuity. I thought Bruce and Selina's relationship ending prematurely under tragic circumstances was poetic, and forces Bruce to continue the lonely life as Batman.

I don't think this will lead much more than an Easter egg. If a character set in the supposed Burton world appears, it will probably be the Arrowverse version of Helena Wayne.

Some fans might be asking had Keaton not made a comeback as an A-List actor back in 2014, would he have reprised the role on the CW, like Shipp did as the Flash. I say probably not. He has said he never wanted to be typecast into roles, which must be why playing Riggan Thomson in Birdman appealed to him.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 12 Oct  2019, 02:58
Honestly, I'm not too keen on this happening in the Burton continuity. I thought Bruce and Selina's relationship ending prematurely under tragic circumstances was poetic, and forces Bruce to continue the lonely life as Batman.

I don't think Bruce getting married to Selina necessarily means a "happily ever after" ending for Keats' Batman. Just a very important event in both their lives sometime following the events of BR (future interactions only hinted at by the films conclusion), and if Earth-Two was any indication, a future with all sunshine and rainbows just wasn't in the cards.   

QuoteI don't think this will lead much more than an Easter egg. If a character set in the supposed Burton world appears, it will probably be the Arrowverse version of Helena Wayne.

Some fans might be asking had Keaton not made a comeback as an A-List actor back in 2014, would he have reprised the role on the CW, like Shipp did as the Flash. I say probably not. He has said he never wanted to be typecast into roles, which must be why playing Riggan Thomson in Birdman appealed to him.

I see it only as an easter egg, and the notion of Keats returning as Batman for numerous appearances on CW just doesn't seem remotely realistic. There has to be some sort of allure for Keaton to return, and similar to what happened with Batman Forever, I really, really don't see CW shows ever providing it.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Selina wasn't a socialite in Batman Returns but rather a secretary who went off the wall. It's possible for her to have gathered a socialite reputation sometime after 1992 if she began dating Bruce full time, being associated with wealth and parties. However Keaton's Bruce wasn't much of a social guy to begin with. I suppose this is heartwarming for some people given they have fond memories of Michelle and Keaton, but Keaton's Bruce settling down with someone doesn't really jive with me. I don't think I'll view this as strict Burtonverse continuity but rather a cameo for a TV show. And the cameo doesn't come from Tim Burton or that creative group. It only makes me want a real continuation all the more, which is HIGHLY unlikely.

I think Keats' Bruce Wayne was social enough. In both films he starred in, we see Bruce at parties. He's clearly recognized by one of Joker's mime goons during the shootout, so he's a known figure (despite Vicki's initial obliviousness). Evidently, Keats' Bruce is also, if not friendly, atleast acquainted with Gotham political figures (Mayor & probably the District Attorney) as stated in BR. He's just not as flamboyant as he's sometimes depicted in the comics, or say the Nolan films where Bale's Bruce is often seen in public (sometimes swimming) with no less than two girls. With Selina, I can see her perhaps returning to Gotham that following Christmas, and becoming something of a socialite. Over the course of BR, we already got the indication that she's moved well beyond her life as a secretary.

But it's just a nice easter egg to the Burtonverse, that's not much more canon than any other fan fiction post-Batman Returns. So whatever. I do appreciate the thought/inclusion.

No more or less than a welcome easter egg, and agreed it's as much "canon" as any fanfic. Every fan has their idea about how that story possibly continued. Nothing can change the bittersweet, open ending of Batman Returns.

It's up to the CW what they choose to reference, but I certainly won't be treating this headline as part of Burton's canon.

The ending of Batman Returns was perfect.  It was a bittersweet finale underlining the fact that Bruce and Selina could never be happy together and live in Bruce's 'castle' like a 'fairytale' because neither of them were normal and thus neither of them were destined for that type of life.  Besides, Selina was too far gone by that stage; she had been an accomplice to one person's murder and she was about to commit a murder of her own.  To have they end up marrying one another, would cheapen the tragedy of that ending.

Also, and it's already been brought up, was Selina a 'socialite'?  I thought she was a struggling 'working girl'/secretary/personal assistant.  Did she actually come from money, and was her secretary job simply a way of trying to (unsuccessfully) assert independence?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.