Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn (2020)

Started by The Joker, Wed, 19 Jun 2019, 02:19

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm not a feminist. Those weirdos creep me out, and they're usually the biggest abusers of the lot. I'm a man who only takes cold showers, has high testosterone levels and needs to shave every day. But if the DCEU is going to limp forward I don't really have an issue with Harley taking centre stage now. As disappointing Suicide Squad may be, I do quite like what Margot brought to the table. I think they should just forget about Leto, especially after what Phoenix is about to unleash.

Trailer coming tomorrow, and assorted images.

It's even more clear this should have been titled, "Harley Quinn".

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Rosie Perez won an Oscar.

I wonder what she thinks of one character getting 100% of the marketing for this film to the exclusion of literally the entire rest of the cast.

Yeah. I wonder what she thinks about that...

Quote from: The Joker on Mon, 30 Sep  2019, 21:55
It's even more clear this should have been titled, "Harley Quinn".
I'm okay with that because Margot is my main interest in the film. Gal as Diana and Margot as Harley are two performances I'm happy to see continue going forward in some capacity.

I dug out this post I made in 2017:

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 24 Apr  2017, 23:46
Margot's Robbie is good fun. The camera loves her and she chews the scenery.

The R rating also gives me a reason to be interested. Margot keeping the ditzy fun but with mallets/baseball bats knocking heads off and hyenas biting chunks? I like the sound of that. It allows the chance to really see Harley unchained from what we saw in Suicide Squad. She wasn't the weak link there anyway.

The ridiculously long title seems like a big indicator what type of film this is going to be. To be honest I never really considered this film with any seriousness until very recently...but bring on the violent silliness.

TRAILER:

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  1 Oct  2019, 13:16
I'm okay with that because Margot is my main interest in the film. Gal as Diana and Margot as Harley are two performances I'm happy to see continue going forward in some capacity.

Yeah, Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn was arguably THE standout from Suicide Squad, and I think your sentiments stand true for most folk. It's easy to see why she's the focus for the launch point. Robbie's simply owning the role.

QuoteThe R rating also gives me a reason to be interested. Margot keeping the ditzy fun but with mallets/baseball bats knocking heads off and hyenas biting chunks? I like the sound of that. It allows the chance to really see Harley unchained from what we saw in Suicide Squad. She wasn't the weak link there anyway. 

Not gonna lie, I do like that Harley's babies are included in this.

Going off the zaniness of the trailer, I could easily envision a scene like this in the film.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  1 Oct  2019, 03:38
Rosie Perez won an Oscar.

I wonder what she thinks of one character getting 100% of the marketing for this film to the exclusion of literally the entire rest of the cast.

Hmm. Interesting thought. I can't imagine she's surprised that a high profile 2018 Oscar nominee, playing the undeniable main character, has been given the marketing spotlight job in selling the film to the general public. I can see Ewan Mcgregor being used more and more in the marketing, in light of the Star Wars news, the closer we get to Feb 2020. MEW? Rosie? Jurnee? Maybe on a more scaled back basis.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Judging by Ewan McGregor's comments, it looks like BOP will be the latest movie to go woke.

What interested me with Birds of Prey is that it's a feminist film. It is very finely written, it is in the script a true look on the misogyny. And I think we (the men) need that, we need to be more aware of how we behave with the opposite sex. We need to be taught to change. The misogynists in the movies are often extreme: they are raping, they beat women... And it's legitimate to represent people like that, because they exist and they are obviously the worst. But in the dialogues of Birds of Prey, there is always an allusion to everyday misogyny, to those things that we say as a man we do not even realize, to mansplaining... All this is in the script in a very subtle way. I found that brilliant.

Source: https://heroichollywood.com/ewan-mcgregor-birds-of-prey-misogyny/

Yeah Ewan, because every single man is a misogynist pig who has no regard and compassion in how to treat the opposite sex with dignity and respect.  ::)

Well, this will be yet another Warner Butchers production to which I'll say "f*** this movie".

I wonder if the rumours surrounding Black Mask and Victor Zsasz as flamboyant gay stereotypes are true? But then again, what do I care? The future of DC on film is dead to me.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

This film seems confused.

If this film is truly about addressing misogyny and systemic unfairness in society, why are the two main villains supposedly camp gay men?

You can't stand up for feminism on one hand, and then demonise gay men on the other.  It would have made far more sense to portray Black Mask as a straight male chauvinist who abuses his girlfriend, as he does to Circe, in the comics.

But if this film tries to present itself as 'woke' because it's standing up for 'Girl Power', I'll just simply point out its homophobia.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Eh, this coming from Ewan McGregor, of all people, is pretty amusing.

Interview literally came across as satire.

Gotham City Sirens mutated into a Birds Of Prey movie. Some of the criticisms I've seen of the movie are variations on "Harley is crashing the first (and maybe only) Birds Of Prey film".

You can't say there's not something to that.