Batman Returns Fathom Events/Screenings

Started by eledoremassis02, Mon, 6 May 2019, 00:43

Previous topic - Next topic
Is anyone going tomorrow or seeing screenings? Do you think the audio will be re-done like 89?

I'm planning on going. I'm thinking since Batman Returns was mixed in Dolby Digital, it'll be easier to remix into Dolby Atmos. I'm looking forward to the new transfer being close to the original film prints as Batman '89's new transfer resembled its initial theatrical release.

I can confirm this as well. It simply enhanced what was always there.

Just got back from the screening and it looked and sounded amazing. This film has always been treated well in terms of transfers.

I hate to report this but the new 4K Blu-ray's audio was changed as well. The Fantom screening definitely used the original mix. The changes aren't as drastic as changing the gun sound effects in Batman '89, but they are there. Even Batman Forever wasn't saved from changes and like Batman '89 there is no option to hear the original mix unless it's a foreign dub.

Quote from: Kamdan on Sun,  9 Jun  2019, 11:50
I hate to report this but the new 4K Blu-ray's audio was changed as well.
Are there any examples you could provide?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  9 Jun  2019, 12:28
It's not as drastic as changing every single gun sound effect that was in the first but they are noticeable. Some of the glaring instances are the added swooshes during the pan up to the top of Shreck's department store. Another is when Bruce throws his commission report across the table to Shreck with more rustling of the paper. There's also additional car horns honking when Bruce first approaches the Shreck building. The explosions have additional layers as well. The penguin missiles can be heard exploding when Shreck escapes the cage.

Quote from: Kamdan on Mon, 10 Jun  2019, 02:36
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  9 Jun  2019, 12:28
It's not as drastic as changing every single gun sound effect that was in the first but they are noticeable. Some of the glaring instances are the added swooshes during the pan up to the top of Shreck's department store. Another is when Bruce throws his commission report across the table to Shreck with more rustling of the paper. There's also additional car horns honking when Bruce first approaches the Shreck building. The explosions have additional layers as well. The penguin missiles can be heard exploding when Shreck escapes the cage.

Thanks for the information. Not as drastic, but as I made clear in previous posts, any alterations are unnecessary. Not including the original mix confirmed my worst fears. Makes me wonder if the Schumacher films received similar treatment.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 10 Jun  2019, 10:58
Thanks for the information. Not as drastic, but as I made clear in previous posts, any alterations are unnecessary. Not including the original mix confirmed my worst fears. Makes me wonder if the Schumacher films received similar treatment.
I did notice on Batman Forever that when the Batwing comes out of the Batsignal in the clouds, Gordon only shouts "GO! once instead of twice before Batman gives him the thumbs up. Stuff like that drives me crazy. It's not the remixers' job to decide to cut lines like that out. Once again, the way it was not the case in the Fantom screening.