Watchmen (HBO series)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 9 Jan 2019, 13:41

Previous topic - Next topic
Here's our first look at the new Rorschach.

And here's Jeremy Irons as an aged Ozymandias.

It's interesting they cast Irons as Veidt, since one of his most acclaimed roles was as Charles Ryder in the 1981 television adaptation of Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. And who played Charles Ryder in the (inferior) 2008 feature film adaptation of Brideshead Revisited? Matthew Goode, who of course also played Ozymandias in the 2009 Watchmen movie. I'm expecting Goode to be cast as Alfred Pennyworth any day now.

It's Watchmen, so I'm sure I'll be checking this out. I've been purposely staying away from spoilers and such, but Jeremy Irons as Ozymandias has potential.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Looks kind of interesting, I'll admit.

Going purely off the trailer, because again, I'm staying away from spoilers of any kind with this, I assume that the Sons of Rorschach are privy to Ozy's actual actions, as opposed to the 'official story' (Alien Squid/Doc Manhattan attacking New York). Thus giving them a symbol to rally behind. Course, there's alot to speculate about. Did Rorschach's journal being discovered be taken as the undeniable truth of what actually transpired? Or is this HBO series taking another approach by having the journal subsequently ignored/debunked, and labeled a conspiracy theory by the media and political parties in order to remain in power, and keep the tentative peace? Making the Sons of Rorschach "truthers" in a way. I mean, if the media/political powers want to keep a narrative going (which we know they are capable of), then discrediting Rorschach's journal as nothing more than the writings of a madman in Watchmen world, would be the logical route for them to take...  Also, did Ozymandias' reputation take a hit, thus affecting his image and business empire? Or is his standing with the world as solid as it ever was?

Nice teaser BTW.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu,  9 May  2019, 01:10

Going purely off the trailer, because again, I'm staying away from spoilers of any kind with this, I assume that the Sons of Rorschach are privy to Ozy's actual actions, as opposed to the 'official story' (Alien Squid/Doc Manhattan attacking New York). Thus giving them a symbol to rally behind. Course, there's alot to speculate about. Did Rorschach's journal being discovered be taken as the undeniable truth of what actually transpired? Or is this HBO series taking another approach by having the journal subsequently ignored/debunked, and labeled a conspiracy theory by the media and political parties in order to remain in power, and keep the tentative peace? Making the Sons of Rorschach "truthers" in a way. I mean, if the media/political powers want to keep a narrative going (which we know they are capable of), then discrediting Rorschach's journal as nothing more than the writings of a madman in Watchmen world, would be the logical route for them to take...  Also, did Ozymandias' reputation take a hit, thus affecting his image and business empire? Or is his standing with the world as solid as it ever was?

Nice teaser BTW.
I wondered about that too. Considering that there are no casting announcements for Dan or Laurie, I think it's reasonable to wonder that Veidt had them killed after Rorschach's journal went public. It makes no sense whatsoever to keep them alive considering the possibility that they might spill the beans. If Veidt was willing to kill all those millions of innocent people, what's two more? I don't think he'd hesitate.

Implicitly, this shines a negative light on conspiracy theorists. Not from the standpoint that they're evil so much as they're just smart enough to destroy the world order. Some things I don't think most conspiracy theorists ever stop to consider are the consequences of their crusade.

What if they're not crazy? What if (1) they're right (2) they prove they're right and (3) exposing the truth leads to catastrophes? Pick any conspiracy theory you want and underneath it you'll find the possibility of truth (in theory, if nothing else) and, if true, the probability of uncontrollable violence if the truth becomes accepted by mainstream society.

Is the truth worth all that carnage? And is all that carnage worth the truth? Is a blissful lie better than (or at least preferable to) the ugly truth?

If that's the direction the series goes in, I'll be very interested to see what's coming.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu,  9 May  2019, 02:04
I wondered about that too. Considering that there are no casting announcements for Dan or Laurie, I think it's reasonable to wonder that Veidt had them killed after Rorschach's journal went public. It makes no sense whatsoever to keep them alive considering the possibility that they might spill the beans. If Veidt was willing to kill all those millions of innocent people, what's two more? I don't think he'd hesitate.

That's true. I would like to think, if the series is going the cover-up route, that Dan and Laurie disappeared off the grid, escaping any possible plans Ozy might have had for them in order to secure his plan's secured "success". With perhaps the both of them being hinted at for returning in a Season 2 or Season 3. However, your idea of Ozy having them both killed is most assuredly a valid point, and could very well be the direction the HBO series takes. I also wonder if we might be seeing other legacy character's appearing? We already know Dan was heavily influenced by the original Nite-Owl, and Laurie with her mother, but I can't imagine that there wouldn't be other people who idolize/continue the legacy of other Watchmen (other than Rorschach of course), or even particular members of the Minutemen (Nite-Owl III, Hooded Justice II, Silhouette II, ect) . The success rate, or lack thereof, could make for interesting commentary.

QuoteImplicitly, this shines a negative light on conspiracy theorists. Not from the standpoint that they're evil so much as they're just smart enough to destroy the world order. Some things I don't think most conspiracy theorists ever stop to consider are the consequences of their crusade.

What if they're not crazy? What if (1) they're right (2) they prove they're right and (3) exposing the truth leads to catastrophes? Pick any conspiracy theory you want and underneath it you'll find the possibility of truth (in theory, if nothing else) and, if true, the probability of uncontrollable violence if the truth becomes accepted by mainstream society.

Is the truth worth all that carnage? And is all that carnage worth the truth? Is a blissful lie better than (or at least preferable to) the ugly truth?

If that's the direction the series goes in, I'll be very interested to see what's coming.

Yes. The potential to really push the envelop and present something exceptional is there. Not only is there the truth/carnage a valid debate, but also what would hiding truth do to a nation, or a world, that have millions who actually are willing to be subordinate with the lie (even if in the back of their mind they know it's false) simply for the sakes of tribalism, and/or needing to remain in a societal norm bubble? What kind of consequences would that clear underlying layer of indifference, thus affecting everyday social structure, really do to the nations of the world? Yes WW3 was adverted in 1985, but look at the result ...

Lots of places this could go.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 20 Jul  2019, 20:58
Yep.

Oh yeah, I'm in.

I'm not subscribing to freaking HBO just to get this show but I'll watch it somehow.

At a glance, this series looks like it isn't playing it safe. Looks like more of a worthy follow-up to Watchmen than the comic book follow-ups to Watchmen.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 20 Jul  2019, 22:14
I'm not subscribing to freaking HBO just to get this show but I'll watch it somehow.

Yeah, I'll either get it thru the net (like Cobra Kai), or make weekly trips to my Mom and Stepfather's house. Pretty sure I can talk one of them into DVRing this.