DC Universe Streaming Service

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 28 Jun 2018, 16:59

Previous topic - Next topic

This looks pretty awesome. I've already got most of the classic DC films and TV shows on DVD, but a service like this might encourage younger fans to dig into the past and experience older movies and programmes they'd otherwise neglect. I hope the catalogue includes the old 1940s film serials.

The comic section could be a great feature too if it allows unlimited access to the DC library. But I'm guessing there will be restrictions on which titles are available, so as not to undercut print sales.

As far as the original TV content goes, I'm most interested in Teen Titans, Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing. But the quality will need to be significantly better than Gotham or any of the CW shows.

Is anyone else thinking about doing this or planning to? I want to but $75 a year (or even the $7.99 monthly when it all adds up) is quite an investment for me. Thought I'd get some opinions on whether or not it's worth it or if y'all think it's a "must have" or what.

I like the look of their catalogue of old comics, TV shows and movies, but I already own most of that stuff anyway. And their original content, so far, does not inspire confidence. Titans in particular looks downright terrible.

I might sign up for a 1-month trial, but I won't be paying the annual fee. It just doesn't seem like a worthwhile investment at this point.

As you say SN, the hardcore fans have this stuff already and all they'd really be paying for is new exclusive content.

Being in the UK, I can't sign up - but I'd be intested to see others thoughts on the service.

This is active now, I signed up for one month (doing the 7 day trial first). So far I like what I see. Has anyone else joined?

I'm not joining, but I'm curious what you think of Titans, Catwoman.

Quote from: GBglide on Mon, 17 Sep  2018, 20:14
I'm not joining, but I'm curious what you think of Titans, Catwoman.

Not sure I'll be watching that. Teen angst, real or scripted, is not my thing. lol

I met Dean Cain at a con over the weekend. He said that he had made a suggestion (to whom, I don't know) about a Lois & Clark revival. He seemed to home in on the number of 10 episodes. The idea was to put a bow around L&C since the show never really got a proper finale. Cain is a writer himself and he adores L&C so he's not a bad choice to take some sort of creative lead on a hypothetical revival of the show.

His idea was to release the revival on DCU because, let's face it, they need all the new content they can get and L&C has a dedicated (if slightly small) fanbase. "Every little bit helps" seems to be the logic.

Obviously this would be a complicated deal and nobody's qualified to predict success or failure. But the two leads seem game to do it, DCU could use a series with a built-in audience and there's plenty of dramatic potential still left in the show and the characters to justify ten episodes.

The more you know...

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 18 Sep  2018, 01:34
I met Dean Cain at a con over the weekend. He said that he had made a suggestion (to whom, I don't know) about a Lois & Clark revival. He seemed to home in on the number of 10 episodes. The idea was to put a bow around L&C since the show never really got a proper finale.

That's awesome! There aren't many actors I'd particularly want to meet, but Cain is one of the few exceptions. He always gives the impression of being as enthusiastic about meeting his fans as they are about meeting him. It's exciting to know he and Hatcher are pushing for a revival. As industry insiders with ties to the property, they've got a better chance than most of making it happen. A 10-episode series would be perfect.

The baby from the season 4 finale would be aged in his or her early twenties by now. The fact Superman himself has aged wouldn't be a problem here, since they pre-emptively addressed the issue in the season 4 episode 'Brutal Youth'. After he gave up some of his life energy to de-age Jimmy, it was implied Cain's Clark would subsequently mature at the same rate as Lois. So it makes sense for him to appear middle-aged. Besides Lane Smith, all the major cast members are still alive. Eddie Jones is in his early eighties, but he's still acting. Hair colour aside, John Shea looks practically identical to how he looked 25 years ago.

I'd rather they didn't undo Lex's death from season 3, as I thought it was rather poignant. But they could have Shea appear as a different version of Luthor from a parallel universe. And of course Lane Davies would have to return as Tempus. Maybe they could even bring back Bronson Pinchot as the Prankster and Howie Mandel as Mister Mxyzptlk. It would also be a good opportunity to feature comic villains that didn't show up in the original series. I can imagine tongue-in-cheek versions of Parasite and Magpie fitting in nicely with the Lois & Clark tone.

Metropolis is still standing at the Warner Bros lot, so they could even use the original sets.

All the pieces are in place. But they'd have to do it now, in the next couple of years, before some of the older cast members are no longer available. It was a miracle they made the Twin Peaks revival when they did, as three major cast members from the original series died over the course of the production. If they'd produced the new Twin Peaks just one year later, those three beloved characters would have been absent. So time is a factor here. And with Lois & Clark celebrating its 25th anniversary last week, now is the perfect time to do it.

Lately Warner Bros has announced so many movies and TV shows based on supporting characters from the Batman and Superman franchises, even diehard DC fans are finding it difficult to care anymore. But I bet a Lois & Clark revival would attract more enthusiasm. The nostalgia factor alone would be a massive draw. The original series achieved a degree of mainstream popularity few superhero shows ever accomplish and was averaging over 15 million viewers in its prime. It would be a waste not to capitalise on that.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 18 Sep  2018, 01:34Cain is a writer himself and he adores L&C so he's not a bad choice to take some sort of creative lead on a hypothetical revival of the show.

Indeed. He wrote two episodes of the original series, including the fan favourite 'Seasons Greedings' featuring Toyman. Add to this his experience as a producer, his familiarity with the fan base, plus his strong understanding of the character and mythos, and he's easily qualified to take a prominent creative role in the revival's development. I like to think Cain's influence would also help deflect the usual outside political pressures, if you know what I mean.

Outside of briefly four years ago I've never been a big comic reader but I'd like to start with this. Can I get some recommendations on things I should check out? I read the five part Arkham City prequel this morning which was fun. But other than that, it's overwhelming as hell. There's so many (duh, with characters introduced in the 40s) and I don't really know where to start.