Creed II (2018)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 20 Jun 2018, 14:29

Previous topic - Next topic
I liked the first Creed a lot, and since this one's a sequel to Rocky IV – my favourite entry in the series – I find myself suitably hyped for Creed II. I'm especially looking forward to seeing Dolph reprise his role as Drago, over thirty years after he first played him. It's going to be a big winter for Lundgren, what with this and Aquaman coming out in such close proximity.

I'm very interested in seeing this, but am I the only one that wishes it was Ivan Drago himself, that Adonis would be fighting instead of his son? Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. Lundgren's getting up there, but Stallone himself was in his late 50's/early 60's when he himself returned to the franchise for Rocky Balboa. I mean, Rocky himself spoke of still having "stuff in the basement", and "a beast inside of him" at an advanced age, and I don't see why a similar scenario wouldn't, or couldn't have worked here. To me, it assuredly would have addressed the death of Apollo in a more direct fashion, by having a weathered and aged Ivan Drago returning from a (perhaps) forced retirement, due to dire financial straits from supporting his own family, and is initially considered a dinosaur, a complete joke and novelty act, similar to Rocky's one match comeback in Rocky Balboa. Until, that is, Ivan is successfully defeating top contenders. Which quickly gains attention, resulting in the "Siberian Bull" considered a freak of nature. Promoters see dollar signs of a possible match between the champ, Adonis Creed, and the aging boxer who killed his father, Ivan Drago. Adonis is torn between wanting revenge, and redeeming his name and father's legacy, causing a rift between Adonis and Rocky.

Ivan Drago, is more motivated by his family's financial security, and finally getting rid of "the beast inside of him". Evoking the Dylan Thomas poem; "Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light." Even personally atoning for his actions directly to Adonis, stating that this is indeed his swan song in his boxing career, but warns him that he will not hold back. The match gets set.

Anyways, I hope Creed 2 surprises me, and I am definitely looking forward to seeing it cause the trailer looks pretty damn good. However, I just find the son vs son angle unnecessary when it comes to returning Ivan Drago into the franchise, and especially with Dolph being in great shape for his age, it just feels like a missed opportunity for a more direct match of legacies, vs Creed battling the son, which comes across as more indirect. Especially if Adonis is motivated in any way by redemption or revenge.

Personally, I would have saved this angle of the son of a boxer vs another son of a boxer for maybe Creed 3. I mean, Adonis fighting Clubber Lang's son would probably be highly entertaining, especially since we never got Apollo vs CLubber. I can only imagine all the trash talk that would come out of a movie focusing on such a rivalry.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Dolph epitomises the concept of peak physical condition. He's like a comic book character come to life and has aged a lot better than many of his peers.

Even now, aged 60, Drago would still destroy Creed Jr. I don't know if he'll face off against Adonis in the new movie, but I wouldn't be surprised if he fights Rocky again at some point. Rumour has it he didn't handle the outcome of their previous bout very gracefully.

I'd love to see Mr. T return as Clubber Lang too. Sly wanted him to appear in Rocky Balboa, but for some reason he was unavailable. I think the original plan was for him to have filled the role Spider Rico played in the finished movie. That would've been fun.

Yeah, Dolph's an absolute BEAST! Course, the natural conclusion alot of people had when it was announced Dolph was returning as Ivan Drago in Creed 2, was that there would ultimately be a match between Adonis and Ivan. As a consequence, this scenario brought about alot of snarky jokes ab0out Dolph being too old for such a fight, but screw that. The very same was said about Stallone with Rocky Balboa, and to a lesser extent, RAMBO (IV). Viktor Drago vs Adonis Creed just doesn't get me as excited going in as what the alternative could have been.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

The new trailer is arriving shortly. In the meantime, here's the latest poster:

Wed, 26 Sep 2018, 21:21 #5 Last Edit: Wed, 26 Sep 2018, 21:24 by The Joker

First Cobra Kai and now this. 2018 is turning out to be a great year for fans of eighties fighting films. :)

Checked this out this past week (Wednesday).

Well, despite my wanting Ivan Drago himself to make a comeback (ala Rocky Balboa) that eventually sets up a boxing match with Adonis Creed, this was very much a worthy addition to the Rocky Balboa saga, and in my estimation, tops the first Creed to be perfectly honest.

I very much wanted to see Drago get a story arc and become humanized. What is presented was both nuanced, strong and sad. Ivan Drago's son is an absolute beast, and just as intimidating as his old man in his prime, but by the end of the film, it becomes increasingly tough to root for his defeat. The same goes for Ivan himself. Ivan, at first, is simply presented as wanting revenge, thru his son, over his defeat in Rocky IV. However, it becomes increasingly clear that Ivan is looking for more than just revenge. Again, it's a nuanced portrayal of a father and son team that are battling their own personal demons, but also looking for acceptance that continues to allude them. Rocky IV is often referred to the most 'cartoon' out of the original Rocky films, and it's amazing just how well those character's have translated into the now-Creed franchise.

Also, Adonis Creed's story has progressed. As it's not a repeat of Creed 1 at all. He's got a family now, and all of that progression is given weight and time to breathe within the film's narrative. Rocky himself, as a sub-plot involving his estranged relationship with his son, which is explored and given a heart warming payoff by the conclusion of the movie.

Creed II is being compared as a mixture of Rocky III and IV. I can see that. Definite similarities that cannot be denied. Though I would argue that Creed II brings alot more drama into the storyline, which benefits the movie greatly.

If there's a negative, I could have done without that dunce from espn. I recall Stallone himself wanted Mr. T (Clubber Lang) to appear as a boxing commentator in Rocky Balboa, and a Clubber Lang appearance would have not only been a treat for long time Rocky fans, but also kinda fitting considering Creed II's parallel's with Rocky III.

Looking forward to Rambo: Last Blood!!!!!

Today I went to see Creed II, aka Rocky VIII, aka Rocky IV: Part II. It was a packed opening weekend and every seat in the theatre was taken. I re-watched the previous seven movies on consecutive nights leading up to Creed II's UK release, so I was suitably hyped when the lights dimmed. SPOILERS in white.

Cutting to the chase, I enjoyed the new movie a lot. The first Creed film was good, but I liked this one more. It may have something to with Rocky IV being my favourite entry in the series, but I imagine this one will have a lot more re-watch value than its predecessor. Critics seemed divided on Dolph Lundgren's performance back in 1985, with some condemning it as wooden while others praised its subtlety. I've always fallen into the latter camp. I like Dolph's original portrayal of Ivan, and he delivers an equally good turn in Creed II. Only now he's able to flesh out the character and elucidate some of the shadowy depths that were hinted at in Rocky IV. Both Ivan and his son come across as surprisingly sympathetic in the final act. They're the most interesting villains the franchise has seen since... well, since Rocky IV.

While the similarities with Rocky IV are obvious, the film is structurally far more indebted to Rocky III. (SPOILERS) It begins with the confident hero enjoying his success, only to be dethroned by a meaner, stronger opponent, and then having to embark on a gruelling back-to-basics training regimen to repair his damaged body and heal his broken spirit. Because of these structural similarities, the ending of the film is predictable. The audience knows Adonis is going to win the rematch, as we saw Rocky go through almost this exact same character arc in his third movie. What makes the ending surprising is the way Adonis wins – I never imagined the final fight would end with Drago throwing in the towel. That made for a pleasing reference to Rocky IV and helped further humanise Ivan as a character. (END SPOILERS) It was a great ending.

Speaking of the fights, there are no protracted single-take sequences like in the first Creed film. And yet the boxing matches here felt more brutal and exciting overall. The camera placements include overhead and first-person shots, which is something I don't remember seeing in the earlier films. And the choreography does a good job of contrasting the powerhouse boxing style of Viktor against the rapid-fire style of Adonis. Ever since the first Creed movie was announced, fans have been waiting to see Adonis confront his father's killer, and Creed II delivers on that reckoning big time.

One thing I don't particularly care for in either Creed film is the music. Rocky IV has one of my favourite movie soundtracks, courtesy of Transformers: The Movie (1986) composer Vince DiCola. Alas, there's no such memorable music in the new film. Not unless you're into hip-hop. Which I'm not. But aside from that, and the obvious familiarity stemming from the Rocky III parallels, I really don't have too many criticisms. It's another satisfying albeit formulaic instalment in the saga. I do however think that this should be the last Rocky film. Rocky Balboa (2006) offered a perfect conclusion to the series, where Rocky found companionship with his son, Paulie and little Marie. Then Creed, for all its merits, went and undid that ending – Robert moved away and left his father to battle cancer on his own, Paulie died, and little Marie vanished into the ether. Thankfully Creed II once again closes the gap (SPOILERS) by bringing back Milo Ventimiglia as Robert. The last time we see Rocky in Creed II, he's being embraced by his son after being introduced to his grandson. That's how I want to remember him. (END SPOILERS) So let's leave it there and end the series on this high note.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating – the Rocky franchise is the most consistent film series out there. Ok, so Rocky V's not great. But I still enjoy it. And even if you don't like Rocky V, that still leaves the series with 7 good films out of 8. Can anyone think of another classic film franchise with such an impressive batting average? I can't

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 28 Nov  2018, 01:55

Checked this out this past week (Wednesday).

Well, despite my wanting Ivan Drago himself to make a comeback (ala Rocky Balboa) that eventually sets up a boxing match with Adonis Creed, this was very much a worthy addition to the Rocky Balboa saga, and in my estimation, tops the first Creed to be perfectly honest.

I very much wanted to see Drago get a story arc and become humanized. What is presented was both nuanced, strong and sad. Ivan Drago's son is an absolute beast, and just as intimidating as his old man in his prime, but by the end of the film, it becomes increasingly tough to root for his defeat. The same goes for Ivan himself. Ivan, at first, is simply presented as wanting revenge, thru his son, over his defeat in Rocky IV. However, it becomes increasingly clear that Ivan is looking for more than just revenge. Again, it's a nuanced portrayal of a father and son team that are battling their own personal demons, but also looking for acceptance that continues to allude them. Rocky IV is often referred to the most 'cartoon' out of the original Rocky films, and it's amazing just how well those character's have translated into the now-Creed franchise.

Also, Adonis Creed's story has progressed. As it's not a repeat of Creed 1 at all. He's got a family now, and all of that progression is given weight and time to breathe within the film's narrative. Rocky himself, as a sub-plot involving his estranged relationship with his son, which is explored and given a heart warming payoff by the conclusion of the movie.

Creed II is being compared as a mixture of Rocky III and IV. I can see that. Definite similarities that cannot be denied. Though I would argue that Creed II brings alot more drama into the storyline, which benefits the movie greatly.

If there's a negative, I could have done without that dunce from espn. I recall Stallone himself wanted Mr. T (Clubber Lang) to appear as a boxing commentator in Rocky Balboa, and a Clubber Lang appearance would have not only been a treat for long time Rocky fans, but also kinda fitting considering Creed II's parallel's with Rocky III.

Looking forward to Rambo: Last Blood!!!!!

It sounds like you and I are on the same page with this one, Joker. Let's hope the Stallone renaissance continues with Last Blood!