BATMAN - The Director's Cut (A Fan's 20th Anniversary Proposal)

Started by DallyWhitty, Wed, 27 Aug 2008, 19:23

Previous topic - Next topic
THE DIRECTOR'S CUT

What with the upcoming 20th anniversary of Tim Burton's Batman, I think a theatrical re-release would certainly be in order. The film was a phenomenon when it was originally released, so why shouldn't Warner Bros. pay tribute to that? There's many legions of Bat-fans, and if it was to be given a wide re-release (think Alien: The Director's Cut), it would likely do well, especially given the hype over The Dark Knight.

Tim Burton has expressed concerns with the film, even admitting that he prefers Batman Returns, so maybe he would be willing to restore the film and correct any faults. Warner Bros. were happy to create Blade Runner: The Final Cut, which is for many people the best version of the film available. If CGI was to be used, it needn't butcher the film (George Lucas, what did you do?!)

So, here is what I think could be done for a 20th anniversary Director's Cut of Batman . . .

*The shot of Batman overlooking a crime, followed by the shot of his fading shadow, is redone in CGI
*Matte paintings are instead scanned into the film, replacing the original "rotoscope" technique
*The pink splodge on Nicholson's neck (during Grisham's murder scene) is digitally removed
*The stunt double's wire during Batman's crash into the museum is digitally removed
*There's an alternate take of the line, "Where does he get those wonderful toys." It's now more clear what's being said, and the scene continues with Nicholson yellin to his thugs, "Don't just stand there, go ask him!"
*Alternate fight scene, in which Bob confronts Batman rather than running away.
*Matte lines during the Batwing scene are digitally removed
*The shot of Nicholson falling to his death is redone in CGI
*Vicki spots several children dressed in Batman costumes
*Batman's ears are digitally extended in the closing scene
*Restoration credits

:)
Even the greatest masterpiece has its flaws.

Well, if you go by Blade Runner, don't expect such a Director's Cut treatment for the 20th Anniversary, but instead the 25th Anniversary.

I don't think the matte paintings should be completely replaced by CGI, just spruced up a bit.
They could just scan them in, which would probably look better than the rotoscoping (projecting footage on angled glass/ mirror) they probably had to do back then.

Not sure if the inclusion of "Don't just stand there, go ask him!" and the children dressed as Batman might be such a good idea to include. It could be they were cut for the pacing.

Other than that, most changes you suggested are welcome.

You forgot to mention a couple of edits that should be made:

When Batman tells the Batmobile to stop (after Batman defeated the Joker's gang) there is a continuity error. In the close-up Batman puts his hand down after saying "Stop." In the wide shot his hand remains near his mouth.
That definitely could use some fixing.

Tim Burton once complained that they never had enough room to have the Batmobile ride at full speed. While it isn't necessary, a couple of added shots of the Batmobile racing across Gotham City's streets at full speed would be nice. To have the pacing remain intact, shots of the Batmobile that are currently in the movie could be slightly sped up (as long as it doesn't show).

And while we're at it, they could blend the transition of the Batmobile's shield better.

The Batwing crashing is another series of shots (I think two or three) that needs tweaking. Maybe it's the slow motion smoke trail, maybe the overall look of the shots, but it kind of stands out.

P.S.: I like what GL did with the Special Edition.

I myself considered including the "Stop" continuity error among the list of changes, but thought maybe it would too be difficult to change. Still, who knows.

And your idea concerning the matte paintings sounds excellent.  ;) Hope you don't mind that I edited that idea into my inital post.

Also, the defintive edition of Blade Runner was originally intended to be released on the 20th anniversary, but was delayed due to rights issues.
Even the greatest masterpiece has its flaws.

Ah, I didn't know that.
However, it is questionable if Warner Bros. would push a 2009 release if TDK just happened a year before. There are arguments for and against it.

As for digitally moving/ inserting limbs, it's been done in 2002 for Star Wars: Attack of the Clones (Anakin's arm in one shot) and for 2005's Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (Anakin's hand moving). It would probably be easier if the hand stayed in position in the close-up.

Very interesting. However, the Blade Runner project took a couple of years to be fully realized. I'd hate to see a project like this rushed in less than a year, like Thau's Superman II, to lackluster results.

I don't think B89 needs a redux, for the time being at least. The Joker looks like a cartoon when he falls down. So what? Part of the charm. The Marshmallow man or the living gargoyles in the first Ghostbusters look old. Part of the 80s vibe that the film has (a vibe which makes it a lot better than 100s of modern fantasy/horror digital bores)

I'd just like to see is the inclusion of the deleted scenes as a special feature, if the footage still survives.

The fixing of Batman overlooking the crime scene and Joker falling would be two welcomed changes for me. Other than that I wouldn't touch it.

Including all of the deleted scenes would be absolutely awesome. And if they rereleased it in theaters in July of 2009 I'd probably go see it everyday til it closes.

I think the "overlooking of the crime" scene needs to be replaced with CGI, that much is certain.  I also think the shield transformation of the Batmobile should be done over, because it looks fake the way it was done in the film originally. I also think the splodge on Joker's neck should be digitally removed. Other than that I wouldn't change anymore scenes.
"Jack is dead my friend. You can call me, Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."

So, here is what I think could be done for a 20th anniversary Director's Cut of Batman . . .
*The stunt double's wire during Batman's crash into the museum is digitally removed

I liked what you are suggesting, but I would like to correct your response to Batmans wire work.  (1)  The scene in the Axis chemical plant where Batman glides down to Jack Napier, you can see the wire in front of his face attached to his emblem or torso with no gadget on his belt, and then while he is decending the gadget magically appears on his belt as he clicks its release.  This implies that batman uses his grapple hook for long descents IMO they should digitally add the gadget on his belt when he begins to descend and erase the wire attached to his emblem or torso. Making it look like he was using his gadget all along. (2) This is also implied with the museum scene IMO they purposely allowed us to see the wire work in front of batmans face because its part of batmans gadget.  The wire in that scene is also attached to his emblem or torso.  The only thing that should be digitally added is his gadget on the belt.  You probably should rewatch those scenes and if you agree remodify your suggestion.

I also think that it would be cool if the directors cut featured a scene with Tim Burton's original concept of the Joker.  Meaning, a Burton Joker! He would have Tims trademark look with dark circles around the eyes and a full black suit with white gloves very similar to the Alex Ross version, and I'm not talking about the suit he wore in the mime scene.  In Fact Joker would probably look alot like the Alex Ross version.