The John Wick Thread

Started by Grissom, Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 19:05

Previous topic - Next topic
I gave John Wick another viewing the other day.

I like that the origins of the story have the simplicity of The Big Lebowski. A group attack the wrong guy and damage his property, leading the protagonist into the story proper. That simplicity allows the action to do the talking, and it speaks loud and clear. It's stylish stuff and wouldn't be what it is without the understated cool of Keanu Reeves. I like that he now has two big franchises that's he's known for: martial arts and guns. That's his brand.

I'll check out the other two movies again in the coming days.

I rank the John Wick movies alongside the Mission: Impossible films as the best American action flicks of the past decade. Cruise and Reeves are two of the only action stars of their generation that are still delivering top quality material. Their recent work puts the younger generation to shame.

Reeves' martial arts skills have progressed a lot since he made The Matrix trilogy. Don't get me wrong – the fights in The Matrix are incredible. I re-watched the entire trilogy + The Animatrix earlier this year, and the action scenes are still amazing. But Reeves had only just started training in martial arts when he made those movies, whereas now, two decades later, he's a lot more experienced. And it shows on screen. Most Hollywood stars don't look convincing performing martial arts scenes, but Reeves is one of the exceptions.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 29 Apr  2021, 10:01
I like that he now has two big franchises that's he's known for: martial arts and guns. That's his brand.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  2 May  2021, 14:35
I rank the John Wick movies alongside the Mission: Impossible films as the best American action flicks of the past decade. Cruise and Reeves are two of the only action stars of their generation that are still delivering top quality material. Their recent work puts the younger generation to shame.
Absolutely. I finished all three Wick movies and they're top tier. Keanu has been in a number of duds over the years but he's managed to attain cult status with two big franchises, The Matrix and John Wick. They well and truly assure his legacy.

Speed is a classic movie. I enjoy Constantine well enough, and of course there's Bill and Ted. But John Wick resurrected his career and made him bigger than ever. With the experience of Wick under his belt, Matrix 4 should really deliver. Release the trailer already.

Not dissing either actor because they're both iconic, but I see Keanu being similar to Arnold. Not celebrated in the acting department but loved. Keanu's chilled out and known for "woah" and "yeah". Whereas Arnold is robotic but exuding pure masculinity.

John Wick is an original property rather than another remake and I enjoy the concept. Consulate locations around the world where killers stay, and interact with their contracts is both funny and weird. The way bounties are placed, and the rules assassins have to follow otherwise they're hunted down and punished is all great mythology.

The public don't react to the killings but that's explained enough for me. In the Wick world it seems just about everyone is a killer receiving bounty updates. Or law enforcement know about the goings on but simply stay away, as was the case with John when his house was destroyed, or when he shot up his attackers. Police take the opinion that the society are only killing their own, so leave them to it. Wick is pure fantasy but I think these reasonings need to be in-built to the mythology to make it somewhat believable.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  3 May  2021, 02:10
Absolutely. I finished all three Wick movies and they're top tier. Keanu has been in a number of duds over the years but he's managed to attain cult status with two big franchises, The Matrix and John Wick. They well and truly assure his legacy.

Speed is a classic movie. I enjoy Constantine well enough, and of course there's Bill and Ted. But John Wick resurrected his career and made him bigger than ever. With the experience of Wick under his belt, Matrix 4 should really deliver. Release the trailer already.

Point Break is another top tier Keanu movie! Following Bill & Ted, there's no doubt that Point Break exhibited Keanu as a bankable action star, which was further propelled by Speed just a few years later.

The remake of Point Break was glaringly lifeless, but the original that was directed by Kathryn Bigelow is aces. Man, I would love Keanu to return as Johnny Utah for a sequel.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Another thing I dig about the Wickverse is the cleaning crews that mops the bloodied floors and dispose of the bodies. That makes complete sense, and it would've been something glaring if it wasn't addressed. But they did. I find it hilarious and logical. Kudos to the creative team there.

The trailer's out for John Wick: Chapter 4.

The film's scheduled for release on March 24th 2023. The cast includes Donnie Yen, Hiroyuki Sanada, Scott Adkins and Clancy Brown.

I'm seeing this day one. A midnight screening if possible. There's excitement radiating off this trailer and it reaffirms to me that The Matrix is the past, and I'm happy to keep it there now. Action wise, John Wick 4 is what The Matrix Resurrections should have been. This feels like a much needed palette cleanser.  John Wick is for the here and now, being an evolution of what came before. I'm hoping the fifth film includes Carrie-Anne Moss in some way. That would be the icing on the cake after they included Laurence Fishburne.

This is one of the first movies in a long while I'm eager to see at the cinema. At the end of the day, strip away all the superpowers in the world and give me human beings with grit who run and shoot their way out against overwhelming odds. That primal humanity is what will always excite me the most. The same statement applies to Mission Impossible, and Batman taps in to that as well.

I appreciate the tone Wick movies have - they're graphic in their depiction of violence but have an undeniable comic undercurrent that doesn't sacrifice humor. They're effortlessly fun, rewatchable and have a breezy feel that evokes action films of yesteryear despite being made in modern times. Fingers crossed Chapter 4 is the same. It should be.