Theatrical Showings

Started by Slash Man, Thu, 11 Aug 2016, 03:38

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone attend any theatrical showings of the film since its initial run? This past week Cinemark theaters have shown the film as a part of a classic films showing on the 7th and 10th.

Just came back from the 7pm showing, and it was fantastic. Almost strange seeing it so crisp and clear; this is one of those movies that's made for the big screen. From the moment I heard Danny Elfman's booming score, I was mesmerized (the low tones really resonated). As someone who's seen the film many times (and this being my first time seeing it on the big screen), I'd say noticing the small details were a real treat. You see the bullet holes in Grissom's window after Joker takes his seat, you can see the gangsters scrambling to draw their weapons as the Joker's goons rush in, you see everything that's going on in the background during the Town Hall shooting, etc. While some aged compositing effects did pop out more, one thing I could never get enough of is the vast look at the extraordinary Gotham City set.

If you ever have the chance, I'd highly recommend you go see it the way it was made to be seen.

Ages ago I attended a screening at a midnight movie. We're talking about an oh-riginal 1989 film print. It was a bit scratchy and grainy but looked amazing considering how old it was.

Much more recently I attended a double-header of B89 and BR... where some jerkwit just projected his Blu-Rays and charged money for tickets. Had I known in advance, I wouldn't have even bothered. But of course they kept that little tidbit quiet until it was too late to insist on a refund.

Pro-Tip: If you pay money to watch a Blu-Ray projection, yours is a well-deserved fleecing.

I have seen B89 on the big screen. And it truly is a cinematic experience. B89 is all about atmosphere, so sitting in a pitch black theatre with booming sound puts everything on another level. You really *feel* the tone of Batman being this haunted loner. The romantic creature of the night. Burton really nailed Batman on the first attempt.

If you ever get a chance, do it.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 12 Aug  2016, 00:13
Ages ago I attended a screening at a midnight movie. We're talking about an oh-riginal 1989 film print. It was a bit scratchy and grainy but looked amazing considering how old it was.

Much more recently I attended a double-header of B89 and BR... where some jerkwit just projected his Blu-Rays and charged money for tickets. Had I known in advance, I wouldn't have even bothered. But of course they kept that little tidbit quiet until it was too late to insist on a refund.

Pro-Tip: If you pay money to watch a Blu-Ray projection, yours is a well-deserved fleecing.
Was it literally a Blu Ray projection? I watched a digital projection, but it was a good transfer; still retained the film grit. I went to a showing of Goldfinger where it was just a DVD projection. There is something to be said for seeing a film just on the big screen (and utilizing the theater's sound system), but for crisp picture, nothing compares to film.

It seems like there's been somewhat of a renaissance for film with Star Wars lately, but its all in vain; all theaters have switched to digital projectors, so watching a film that way kind of defeats the purpose of filming with on film. CGI-heavy movies look better on digital anyways.

Must've been awesome to see it, thecolorsblend. "Film" is something I took for granted as a kid (because that's how every movie was), but seeing an original film print nowadays is really a treat.

Bringing this back since I've had the pleasure of seeing three classic Batman flicks in theaters again this past weekend for Batman Day. Of course I had to drive more than an hour because only Tinseltown Theaters were participating, but it was well worth it. The Mask of the Phantasm was a great primer, then the original Batman was the main event, and finally Returns brought it all home.

Never thought I'd enjoy spending an entire day at the theater that much. It wasn't too packed, but it was readily apparent that I was in the presence of fellow Bat-fans making the pilgrimage.

The original film has slowly became my favorite Batman film, and once again seeing it in theaters is the only way to do it proper justice.

That's pretty cool.  8)

I've had the pleasure of seeing "Batman 1989" in a theater retro cinema setting about 3 times (making it altogether 4 times if I count the one time back in '89). In 2016, the same very week "Batman v Superman" would come out on Fri, the local theater here had "Batman The Movie" playing on Tues and Wed. I made a point in checking out both screenings, and I'm glad I did. It hasn't played since unfortunately, but I got to mark that one off the list.

Would love to see "Batman Returns" again in a theater setting, but no luck thus far. I don't know what the list for retro cinema screenings are going to be for Nov/Dec here, but perhaps BR is a possibility? We'll see. Would be a nice surprise.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Slash Man on Wed, 21 Sep  2022, 03:21
Bringing this back since I've had the pleasure of seeing three classic Batman flicks in theaters again this past weekend for Batman Day. Of course I had to drive more than an hour because only Tinseltown Theaters were participating, but it was well worth it. The Mask of the Phantasm was a great primer, then the original Batman was the main event, and finally Returns brought it all home.

Never thought I'd enjoy spending an entire day at the theater that much. It wasn't too packed, but it was readily apparent that I was in the presence of fellow Bat-fans making the pilgrimage.

The original film has slowly became my favorite Batman film, and once again seeing it in theaters is the only way to do it proper justice.

Can you confirm if Returns had the new sound mix? I know '89's latest theatrical screenings have had it but I am curious to know if this is the case for Returns as well.

Sorry, but I haven't been in the loop about the sound mix for Returns and wasn't really listening for it.

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 21 Sep  2022, 05:05
That's pretty cool.  8)

I've had the pleasure of seeing "Batman 1989" in a theater retro cinema setting about 3 times (making it altogether 4 times if I count the one time back in '89). In 2016, the same very week "Batman v Superman" would come out on Fri, the local theater here had "Batman The Movie" playing on Tues and Wed. I made a point in checking out both screenings, and I'm glad I did. It hasn't played since unfortunately, but I got to mark that one off the list.

I'm envious. Batman: The Movie, Batman 89, Batman Returns and Mask of the Phantasm are my four favourite Batman films, and I've never seen any of them on the big screen. That must be quite an experience. Hopefully one day I'll get the chance to attend a theatrical screening of at least one of them.

Even when you've seen a film dozens of times before and know every line off by heart, there's still something magical about seeing it in a theatre with an audience of likeminded cinephiles. I've been lucky enough to see a number of classic films rereleased on the big screen over the years: among them Metropolis (1927), Cinderella (1950), Vertigo (1958), To Kill a Mockingbird (1962), Jaws (1975), the Star Wars Trilogy (1977-83), Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982), Ghostbusters (1984), Back to the Future (1985) and Die Hard (1988).

I've got a long list of movies I've never seen in a theatre but would like to, and the 1966 and Burton Batman movies are near the top.

That happened to me, too. Returns is thoroughly interesting and a visual masterpiece, however the sheer iconic power of B89 is hard to resist. My top three would be B89, BR and BvS. Lately I've been preferring Batman being part of a Justice League because I love the idea of a fully formed world full of characters with Batman having a depth of experience under his belt - in comparison to the early days that even B89 presents. However with the unique cinematic situation we're in now we get to enjoy both periods of his career.