The Next Villains for The Dark Knight Part II?

Started by Joker89, Thu, 7 Aug 2008, 03:40

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  3 Dec  2009, 01:32I don't want Mr Freeze. The basis of the character is tied up in his low body temperature and ice cannon. I just cannot buy that in a realistic setting.

But if he did come to pass, I suppose he could have experiments with disguising the time of death of his victims by freezing their corpses in an industrial freezer.

Just a thought I had. Even though that's not really the core character being retained, it's one way you could do it.
I've thought a few times that maybe some lesser known (to the general public) villains might be the way to go.  Scarface/Ventriloquist, Maxie Zeus, Deadshot, Tally Man, Abattoir, Crimesmith, Zeiss, the General (the original Dixon/Netzer Detective Comics version; not the kinder, gentler one from the Robin comics), Phantasm (admit it, this might be kinda interesting), Firebug, cripes, the list just goes on.

I could see Chris Nolan having a lot of fun with some of those.  A few seem like they'd be right up his alley.  Plus, since they're not exactly top tier villains, he won't have quite the same pressure of filling a more iconic role.  He could think outside the box in terms of casting.

I presume this suggeston has already been made, but I honestly think the idea of turning The Riddler into an obsessive serial killer who leaves clues, partially to taunt Batman and Gotham PD is the best way to go.  You have a classic character who can be easily marketed to fans and non-fans alike, plus a relatively realistic modus operandi.

On the other hand, for a third film you're also going to need a truly city-threatening nemesis on par with Ras Ah Ghul and The Joker in the first two films.

I must admit, as much as I desperately want to see a third film in the Nolan series, I don't envy the task ahead of him in keeping the next film equally exciting but true to the world he has envisioned.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I don't think the riddler should have to shed his persona in any Batman film - someone who compulsively leaves clues for his crimes (he can't help it) - I also don't find going down the serial killer route to be satisfying enough. If fact it would bore me and make him no different than any other serial killer portrayed on screen in the last 15 years.

I reread Detective Comics #635 (or which ever one was the first part of The General arc) last night and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to at least consider the General if nothing else.

The mob in Gotham City is basically toast after the events of TDK.  I could see street gangs becoming a bigger problem than they otherwise would've been without organized crime to keep them out of the picture (which is something I sorta miss about real life organized crime).

How realistic is it that a 12 year old with a crew cut could whip them into shape?  Well, I've seen microwave emitters have no effect on human bodies and I've seen Batman invent a device that any corrupt dictatorship would love to have.  Seems to me the General isn't all that unrealistic a villain under those terms.

Quote from: ral on Thu,  3 Dec  2009, 13:25
I don't think the riddler should have to shed his persona in any Batman film - someone who compulsively leaves clues for his crimes (he can't help it) - I also don't find going down the serial killer route to be satisfying enough. If fact it would bore me and make him no different than any other serial killer portrayed on screen in the last 15 years.

:-\   :'(

I know my place...

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun,  6 Dec  2009, 06:42
Quote from: ral on Thu,  3 Dec  2009, 13:25

:-\   :'(

I know my place...

there there..just my opinion  :)

That's ok Ral.  I see where you're coming from.  I wouldn't want to see any Batman character, including the Riddler deviate too far from their comic origins either, though there's a fine balance I feel between keeping the character true to the comic-book source, making them feel as vivid and colourful (both literally and figuratively) as possible, and remaining true to Nolan's 'real world' universe.

Why does everyone want Johnny Depp to play every role in every movie made?

Quote from: James on Sat, 17 Apr  2010, 23:27
Why does everyone want Johnny Depp to play every role in every movie made?
He is associated with such roles and is instantly the default choice. The safe choice.

I'm another one who doesn't want Johnny Depp within 150 miles of the next Batman movie.  I'm just sick of looking at and hearing about him all the time.  Not saying he isn't a great actor, I think he is, I'd just like to see ONE franchise prove they can make a good thing without Depp.  Let him come around in the next Batman franchise after Nolan's done.  JMO.   ::)