Burton references in Animated series

Started by shadowbat69, Sun, 11 Nov 2007, 17:35

Previous topic - Next topic
I dont think it was necessarily a "Burton" influence, but Danny Elfmans score I think is one of the main components of bringing B:TAS to the level it acheived. From what Elfman created, Shirley Walker took and expanded upon to create a whole new world but still kept it grounded in the current feel and mood we were used to.

I think the timelessness of Burtons movies was a major influence on the series, plus a gritty Batman - we could have gotten Superfriends or Superpowers Batman again.

The look of the Batcave and especially the shape of the Batmobile.

The "timeless" thing was done purposely, they didnt want to pinpoint a year. Which I think was very cool. You had retro automobiles, high tech computers, and black and white television. The deco look of the architecture. It was awesome.

Two words - Art Deco
"Excuse me. You ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

Yeah, I too thought the "Art Deco" look was extremely beautiful. It sort of reminded me of the Flescher Superman cartoons from the 1940's....very cool!

The sound e/fx like the voice actors, music, & sounds were all really great too.
CHECK OUT THE NEW BAT-BLOG!
http://www.bat-blog.com

Facebook Member?   ADD ME!
http://www.facebook.com/batblog

Just like they created something special in 1989 with Batman, Timm and company did the same thing in creating TAS.

Quote from: shadowbat69 on Sun, 11 Nov  2007, 17:35
I dont think it was necessarily a "Burton" influence, but Danny Elfmans score I think is one of the main components of bringing B:TAS to the level it acheived. From what Elfman created, Shirley Walker took and expanded upon to create a whole new world but still kept it grounded in the current feel and mood we were used to.

Elfman's score, i agree.

Just like what Paul Dini has said on the 'Legends of the Dark Knight' documentary, the audiences and Batman fans were primed by the atmosphere and darker undertones of Burton's films when it came time to do 'TAS.' People felt that the likes of Tim Burton and Frank Miller had really set the stage for the direction that Batman as a character should be going, and Timm and Co. just continued that mindset while giving it their own flavor with the Art Deco elements, aspects from other types of animation and action films, film noir devices of storytelling and pacing.

A lot of people today claim that the show isn't all that special in retrospect but I very much disagree. There are just so many positive elements of Batman: The Animated Series that makes it a standard that hasn't been reached. I mean looking at cartoons and even more modern DC adaptations including 'The Batman' and 'Legion of Super Heroes' is quite evident.

The original Animated Series had a 30 piece orchestra and a brand new score on all 85 original FOX episodes composed by the amazing Shirley Walker from 'Apocalypse Now!' who had also conducted the orchestra on 'BATMAN.' The elements of storytelling such as the editing and pace of the show as more cinematic then cartoony. Characters were delt with appropriately...I mean there's not a single Gotham Knight or Rogue that was featured that isn't given their due in a single, or handful of episodes.

And I mean damn, there were episodes like 'POV,' 'A Bullet For Bullock' and 'I Am The Night' that were strictly hardboiled detective and crime stories without relying on well known costumed foes like The Riddler or Catwoman...a technique that a show like 'The Batman' could never get away with now, since it features a costumed rogue in each episode.

Plus prior to the show, shows like 'GI JOE' and the animated 'Rambo' spin off had to be watered down with the use of lasers. 'TAS' was the first animated program to allow villians to use live munitions.

Now take a look at shows today. Wall to wall synthetic music that never underscores...absurdly fast edits and action, refusing the audience to take a breather with the story...and on smaller notes take a look at the firearms used by Gotham PD in 'The Batman.' They're like toy guns as opposed to actual guns.

'Batman: The Animated Series' is hands down the greatest example of a comic book character brought to life through the animation media.

CFE

I'd say the Elfman sound, the architecture of Gotham and the look of the vehicles.

For those that haven't seen the pilot, here it is.

The animation is more fluid, but that is to be expected.  We can see where the title sequence came from.