DeVito's Penguin

Started by The Dark Knight, Sat, 2 Aug 2008, 14:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun,  3 Aug  2008, 21:21
He was willing to put his aside his thirst for vengeance if the people of Gotham were willing to love him.  He only acted on his scheme after he'd been rejected by the people.

Very true.

DeVito as the Penguin has always been a favorite of mine. Along with the movie itself.
*Wipes blood off of Newspaper*
-Winged freak TERRORIZES? Wait'll they get a load of me.

Welcome to the site YouCanCallMeJoker.

I grew up watching the tv show Taxi and always loved DeVito's character on the show so I never could get past that in BR. I too easily see Danny and not Penguin throughout the movie.
While he did a nice job with the role I didn't like many of the lines he was given either. I loved the look of the character though. Maybe a little heavy on the purpleish red around the eyes but other than that he translated well from comic to screen.

Quote from: Cocoboloboy on Fri,  5 Sep  2008, 23:09
I grew up watching the tv show Taxi and always loved DeVito's character on the show so I never could get past that in BR. I too easily see Danny and not Penguin throughout the movie.

See, its the opposite for me. I have a time seeing DeVito and not Penguin.

However, in Forever, I dont see the character Riddler, I see Jim Carrey.

It's funny how that's different for each individual. I have to agree with you about Carrey though. I couldn't separate his Riddler from any other goofy role he played up until that time.

Thu, 30 Oct 2008, 04:47 #17 Last Edit: Thu, 30 Oct 2008, 04:48 by The Dark Knight
Even though he plotted to kill babies, I felt sorry for the guy when he died. It was well done. We see his early days when he is thrown in, his peak as a villain, and his death. Some people say that his death was unneccesary, but I think it was a natural progression narrative wise. He wasn't going to return for a sequel anyway. He was given up by his parents, some could say that was neglect, and it was the fact that human neglect (the chemical dumping in the water) killed him.

Danny Devito went as deep into being a hardcore character driven actor with his role of The Penguin, the same as Ledger did for his recent version of The Joker. You can flat out see Danny put a hell of alot of effort and patience into his role and dedicated himself to it. I love it, and always will no matter how far from the comic interpretation he actually is, to be honest I kinda like that version of The Penguin better than the one from most comics.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Thu, 30 Oct 2008, 08:45 #19 Last Edit: Thu, 30 Oct 2008, 09:01 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: DarkVengeance on Thu, 30 Oct  2008, 04:55
to be honest I kinda like that version of The Penguin better than the one from most comics.
Agreed. Devito behaved liked an animal. Top stuff.