Batman 89/Batman Returns Blu Ray Release - Mar 10th 2009

Started by rascalking, Fri, 1 Aug 2008, 19:44

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of the planned 20th Blu-Ray set for Batman?

Love it - will be buying it
9 (50%)
Love it - not buying it
1 (5.6%)
Average - will be buying it
6 (33.3%)
Average - not buying it
1 (5.6%)
Hate it - will be buying it
0 (0%)
Hate it - not buying it
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

My birthday is coming up, so if everyone wants to pool together and get me a 50" HD TV - well that would be just swell.

Tue, 13 Jan 2009, 23:51 #111 Last Edit: Tue, 13 Jan 2009, 23:53 by The Dark Knight
This is really exciting. I was hoping the transfers would look even better on a large HD television, and they apparently do. Returns would look even better if anything I think.  Be sure to tell us how that one looks, Pantallica78.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 13 Jan  2009, 23:51
Returns would look even better if anything I think.  Be sure to tell us how that one looks, Pantallica78.

Will do, Dark Knight. Should be arriving very soon.  I am anxious to see that one especially. More Tim Burton visuals and in retrospect, and in my older years, I have grown more fond of 'Returns' over the original.

By the way, just to spark up debates, here's my number-ordered countdown of all the actors who have played Batman throughtout the years:

7) Robert Lowery
6) Lewis Wilson
5) Val Kilmer
4) George Clooney
3) Adam West
2) Michael Keaton
1) Christian Bale

At first, I thought you meant that Lowery was your favorite! I almost sh*t my pants!
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: Pantallica78 on Wed, 14 Jan  2009, 04:25
Will do, Dark Knight. Should be arriving very soon.  I am anxious to see that one especially. More Tim Burton visuals and in retrospect, and in my older years, I have grown more fond of 'Returns' over the original.
Cheers. And same with me, there is just something special about Returns.

I think more particularly what is special about Returns is that it is a very layered film. There is a lot of stuff to catch onto that you don't necessarily catch onto the first like [insert number here, probably around 50 for me] times you watch it. Also, and I don't mean this in a cocky way, but I feel on a lot of levels it is a true thinking man's/lady's film. There is so much emotional value vested in the characters, and so many uncomfortable undertones touched on.

I think it is a gravely misunderstood film because it is so bluntly true and depressing. Nobody gets their piece of the cake in the end, and people don't like that there is a potential within them to feel something for a villain as grotesque as The Penguin.

I hate it when people say things about Returns being some whacky Tim Burton film. Hey, I'm the first to admit that Timmy went all out Tim Burton style on this film, but the thing is, it fits-it absolutely fits, like a glove baby!

Very astute description.  It truly is the superior film. Now here is MY order of favorite Bat-films in countdown fashion:

7) Batman & Robin
6) Batman Forever
5) Batman the Movie (1966)
4) Batman (1989)
3) Batman Returns
2) Batman Begins
1) The Dark Knight

Batman Returns ages like wine. I've watched it these Christmas for the first time since several years, and it's still to me a terrific fantasy film.

Quote from: Pantallica78 on Wed, 14 Jan  2009, 12:37
Very astute description.  It truly is the superior film. Now here is MY order of favorite Bat-films in countdown fashion:

7) Batman & Robin
6) Batman Forever
5) Batman the Movie (1966)
4) Batman (1989)
3) Batman Returns
2) Batman Begins
1) The Dark Knight

Your order is identical to me. Bravo.
Even the greatest masterpiece has its flaws.