Batman 89/Batman Returns Blu Ray Release - Mar 10th 2009

Started by rascalking, Fri, 1 Aug 2008, 19:44

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of the planned 20th Blu-Ray set for Batman?

Love it - will be buying it
9 (50%)
Love it - not buying it
1 (5.6%)
Average - will be buying it
6 (33.3%)
Average - not buying it
1 (5.6%)
Hate it - will be buying it
0 (0%)
Hate it - not buying it
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

I got a 52 inch 1080p LCD today.  Needless to say, I immediately put Batman 89 on.

Just wow. Seriously, like Pantallica78 said about Returns - it is like watching it for the first time.  Seeing it in such detail on a big screen is such an immersive experience - I really can't believe how good it looks, beautiful.

How good is it? My fiance was glued to it and shouted at me for pausing it to get a drink!

That's a relief. The screen captures online (while good) don't do them justice, then. Good to know it's up to standard.

Quote from: ral on Tue, 10 Feb  2009, 23:44
I got a 52 inch 1080p LCD today.  Needless to say, I immediately put Batman 89 on.

Just wow. Seriously, like Pantallica78 said about Returns - it is like watching it for the first time.  Seeing it in such detail on a big screen is such an immersive experience - I really can't believe how good it looks, beautiful.

How good is it? My fiance was glued to it and shouted at me for pausing it to get a drink!

Awesome Ral!

One question though--Is it too perfect? In other words, does the picture make the mattes stand out, thus ruining the illusion of the city?

I ask because I've seen the Blu-ray captures of the Penguin and you can see that his skin looks like movie make-up.

Well, you have to keep in mind that Blu-ray only captures a fraction of the full detail held in 35mm film (which plays in a theater) so on Blu-ray, the mattes/makeup/effects won't be any more apparant than they were in a theater.

Film tends to have between 3,000 to 6,000 lines of resolution, Blu-ray has 1,080 lines.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Wed, 11 Feb  2009, 20:20
Well, you have to keep in mind that Blu-ray only captures a fraction of the full detail held in 35mm film (which plays in a theater) so on Blu-ray, the mattes/makeup/effects won't be any more apparant than they were in a theater.

Film tends to have between 3,000 to 6,000 lines of resolution, Blu-ray has 1,080 lines.

How much is DVD on a computer?

Standard definition DVDs have 480 lines of resolution, no matter what you play them on. :)
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Wed, 11 Feb  2009, 20:45
Standard definition DVDs have 480 lines of resolution, no matter what you play them on. :)

I see, thank you. ;) 

I ask because the picture is much more clear on my computer and I can sometimes see tiny pieces of hair and lint, just like at the movies. I also noticed a NY Giants flag on the wall at the Gotham Globe headquarters while watching on my computer! 8)

The degree of clarity on a computer monitor will always be better than a standard definition TV, because on your computer monitor, the film will run in Progressive Scan mode.

There are two ways of displaying resolution scanlines. Interlaced, or Progressive. Interlaced is softer on detail, whereas Progressive is sharper (Don't ask me how, I'm not entirely sure of the process!). Standard Def. TV is interlaced 480 lines, or 480i. When you hook up a compatible DVD player, you can get those lines progressively, or at 480p. Again, this is assuming you have the right cable hookups and a compatible TV/DVD player.

Computers, on the other hand, don't have the same kind of technology as old fashioned standard def. TVs. They run through much clearer connections and display progressively, and depending on how high your resolution can go, are technically HD capable already.

Again, there's a lot of little specifics I'm glossing over, but that's the general gist of it.

^ That really does solve some mysteries for me, thanks again Doc! ;)

Quote from: batass4880 on Wed, 11 Feb  2009, 19:55
Awesome Ral!

One question though--Is it too perfect? In other words, does the picture make the mattes stand out, thus ruining the illusion of the city?

I ask because I've seen the Blu-ray captures of the Penguin and you can see that his skin looks like movie make-up.

When you see a still it is easy to pick out flaws - moving images don't look as bad.

I am gonna do a review now that i have the proper kit to comment on the movies to highlight the good and bad.  I will say that Gotham seems more like a city, i was certainly more immersed in it.