The Dark Knight Criticism

Started by Azrael, Thu, 31 Jul 2008, 12:09

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Batnar on Sun, 24 May  2009, 13:18
you know... I think I would have liked the movie better if they would have given Bale a better looking bat suit. I dislike the BB and TDK suits/cowls sooo much. It's not even funny.  If Bale ran around in something that looked a bit more 89 or return'ish (cowls), I think I would have opened up more to this film. But his funky suit just spoils it for me. Everything else was acceptable. Even the tumbler..

Just because you have 2 great cowls... ;)

Quote from: Batnar on Sun, 24 May  2009, 13:18
you know... I think I would have liked the movie better if they would have given Bale a better looking bat suit. I dislike the BB and TDK suits/cowls sooo much. It's not even funny.  If Bale ran around in something that looked a bit more 89 or return'ish (cowls), I think I would have opened up more to this film. But his funky suit just spoils it for me. Everything else was acceptable. Even the tumbler..
Strangely enough, the evolution of the suit from Begins to The Dark Knight I think parallels the evolution of the suit from Batman to Returns, in that the suit became less bulky and the design became more mechanical. I actually like the Dark Knight suit; it's a much better fit for Bale and the cowl looks far less egg-like from certain angles than the Begins cowl. What bugs me the most is the cape being thrown over his shoulders like Superman's. You can't even tell he has a cape in some shots.

Near the top of my list for things to wish for once Nolan leaves the series is a suit that finally combines the aesthetic strength of the Burton-era suits with the flexibility they've managed to achieve in Nolan's era.

They need to give him a better cowl, in my view. It would be crazy to see a cowl more like the Long Halloween/Haunted Night/Dark Victory comics portray. Apparently they were influential on the film, and the lower part of the mask seems to be a lot like the version in those comics. Give him some super long ears like the ones from those comics, the current ones look a little to mousy to me. In my view, they just need to get rid of that bulbous potato head cowl in TDK.

Also, I can't be certain, but did anyone else notice that Bale's voice got ridiculous once he got the new suit? In Batman Begins and for a bit of the beginning of TDK, his voice wasn't...so...guttural. I think Bale should stick to the voice he used for Batman Begins, and absolutely scrap the one he used for TDK.

Quote from: Batmoney on Sun, 24 May  2009, 19:08
Also, I can't be certain, but did anyone else notice that Bale's voice got ridiculous once he got the new suit? In Batman Begins and for a bit of the beginning of TDK, his voice wasn't...so...guttural. I think Bale should stick to the voice he used for Batman Begins, and absolutely scrap the one he used for TDK.
Well, Bale's voice was digitally altered in TDK to make it sound raspier.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 25 May  2009, 03:57
Quote from: Batmoney on Sun, 24 May  2009, 19:08

Well, Bale's voice was digitally altered in TDK to make it sound raspier.

Really?

Yes. You didn't know? I thought it was common knowledge among Batman fans.

Mon, 25 May 2009, 04:11 #126 Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2009, 13:43 by Dark Knight Detective
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 25 May  2009, 04:04

Damn, I feel embarrassed. :-[ But I did have thoughts on whether or not it was real or invalid.

I wonder what the people behind this were smoking/drinking? :D

Yeah, the cowl in TDK looked at times ridiculous, especially with the lighting during the beat'em'up (aka interrogation room) scene. He really looked like a Catman with this cowl.

Quote from: silenig on Mon, 25 May  2009, 13:37
Yeah, the cowl in TDK looked at times ridiculous, especially with the lighting during the beat'em'up (aka interrogation room) scene. He really looked like a Catman with this cowl.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 25 May  2009, 04:04
I'd never heard about this before now either.
Even the greatest masterpiece has its flaws.