The Dark Knight Criticism

Started by Azrael, Thu, 31 Jul 2008, 12:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Fri, 15 Aug 2008, 16:27 #41 Last Edit: Fri, 15 Aug 2008, 16:29 by raleagh
i laughed my ass off at this
http://www.youtube.com/v/8sYBqhOEdRQ&NR=1

"That's a Sharpie, that permanent!"

TDK is as suspensful as a Hitchcock film? WTF? Get real! Nolan wouldnt lace his boots!

The twists in this film you could see coming a mile off. No suspense at all.

Quote from: Joker81 on Wed, 20 Aug  2008, 19:24
The twists in this film you could see coming a mile off. No suspense at all.
Well, I liked it, whether or not I saw it coming or not.

I think it's about execution as much as anything.  There was a sense of tension, even though I already knew intellectually that Nolan wasn't seriously going to blow up a ferry full of innocent bystanders or convicts.  Nevertheless, it carries with it a sense of drama and urgency.

I saw the film again. Needless to say, I'm likeing it less and less. I'm caught in that situation where you think if you keep going back, suddenly everything will be different. I didn't even stay the whole time.

I tried desperately to just drop all my issues and look at this just as a popcorn movie, but even then I couldn't. It's far too dry, dull, and self important.

I think as it is - a cinematic experience - it excels.

But once that initial wow factor is over, there is little to retain the attention.

It probably has the most engaging story so far in the series, but in the words of Lucious Fox, "At what cost?!".

I am hoping the DVD release will give me something new to appreciate (actually Heaths behind the scenes stuff) as I found the fight scenes didn't hold up well on the big screen and may look better on a small screen.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 21 Aug  2008, 18:28
I think it's about execution as much as anything.  There was a sense of tension, even though I already knew intellectually that Nolan wasn't seriously going to blow up a ferry full of innocent bystanders or convicts.  Nevertheless, it carries with it a sense of drama and urgency.
Yes, exactly. Well said. I knew it wasn't going to happen, but after what I had seen previously in the film, I was beginning to have my doubts.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Thu, 21 Aug  2008, 22:48I tried desperately to just drop all my issues and look at this just as a popcorn movie, but even then I couldn't. It's far too dry, dull, and self important.
It's no Burton Batman film, I'll give you that.  But, hey, at least you tried instead of just dismissing it out of hand, right?  There's something to be said for that.

Still, some things don't hold up as well after repeat viewings.  I've seen it a total of four times now but I watched a few minutes before taking in Clone Wars the other night.  The Batman/Maroni scene just doesn't hold up as well if you really pick at it.  The camera angle for Batman makes his cowl look wonky, Bale's Batman voice is as lousy in that scene as any other, I just can't buy that Maroni would say things like that to Batman (esp not after he has at least a fractured ankle) and I'm wondering how Batman got Maroni out of that club.  Did they just walk out the door together or something?

Anyway.  I think it's good as a popcorn flick but what do I know?

I have seen The Dark Knight 3 times since its release in theatres. Yes, its overly hyped. But I still believe it's one of the best films I have seen in years. The first time I saw it, I was blown away by the suspenseful moments (the assassination of Gotham's Judge, the Commissioner, the Rachael skyscraper fall, the Ferry Boat scene, etc.) as well as Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker. The second time I saw it, I didn't enjoy it as much. But strangely, the third time I saw it I enjoyed it as much as the first viewing. This mainly was because I viewed it in IMAX. But overall, I still believe it's a cinematic masterpiece no matter what anyone else thinks. This is coming from a REAL Tim Burton fan. And The Dark Knight is a wonderful variation of the the original 1989, Batman film.
"Jack is dead my friend. You can call me, Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."