Batman DVD's MISSING; Copyright violation? Lawsuit?

Started by Joker89, Fri, 25 Jul 2008, 03:41

Previous topic - Next topic
I originally owned "The Batman DVD Legacy" set Which went for about $50 back in the day. That was alot for a DVD set, considering the DVDs contained basic transfers of the films with no special features what-so-ever. After the complaint of thousands of Batman fans, Warner Bros. decided to finally release the Epic, Batman DVD Anthology set containing all 4 Batman films with newly remastered picture and sound, as well as never-before-seen Special Features. I picked up the set, on the day it was released in stores. And I must say that I have been very pleased with the set ever since. In my opinion, its the 2nd best DVD set ever made(The Star Wars DVD Collection being 1st)

What's weird though, is how the set was released only 3 years ago, and now it has suddenly vanished from stores. Why? I don't understand why they would discontinue such a great DVD set. What's even stranger is that Warner Bros. even pulled their older versions as well. So now people are freaking out and are trying to get their hands on any Batman DVD they can find even the standard editions(with no special features) which are now selling up to $40 on Ebay. While the Special Editions are going up to about $60ea. The Batman DVD Anthology set is worth almost $200 now. Doesn't this sound a bit odd to anyone? Especially now that The Dark Knight is in theaters, it would be a perfect time for successful Batman DVD sales. But, instead the Batman DVDs were pulled. I think something is up, does anyone think the same?
"Jack is dead my friend. You can call me, Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."

I still see lots of the Old "Legacy" sets in shops. And have still seen a few seperate special editions.

Perhaps WB are trying to clear out their DVD back catalogue (since they have a lot of standard edition DVDs) in anticipation of Blu-Ray picking up.  WB do seem to be selling a lot of DVDs at ?3 over here.

Quote from: raleagh on Fri, 25 Jul  2008, 08:37
I still see lots of the Old "Legacy" sets in shops. And have still seen a few seperate special editions.

Perhaps WB are trying to clear out their DVD back catalogue (since they have a lot of standard edition DVDs) in anticipation of Blu-Ray picking up.  WB do seem to be selling a lot of DVDs at ?3 over here.

Yer, you can get Legacy for 10 quid on amazon
Fear Me, Im Back

But the UK is different with DVD marketing, I know so from research. The UK can pretty much distribute any DVD they want to without violating any copyright laws, etc. For example; The World Wrestling Federation. When they were forced to surrender their "WWF" name in court, they had to censor all of the"WWF" logos fetaured in their archive footage including t-sh*ts, signs, turnbuckles, titan tron sets, everything!! Now they are known as WWE-World Wrestling Entertainment, and everything they release on DVD that involves older footage of their WWF events is edited and blurred out. However in the UK that is not the case. WWE releases "Tagged Classics" in the UK and there is no censoring of the WWF logo, which in the United States is considered against the court's policy to distribute any merchandising involving the "WWF" logo. So that explains why the UK and possibly other countries still sell copies of the Batman films, opposed to the United States.
"Jack is dead my friend. You can call me, Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."

Do you have some evidence of legal issues with Batman DVDs in America?

Every country has its own rights in regards to distributing films (see Superman 3 and 4 initially on DVD in different countries of the world) but I don't think there are any legal issues.

Thers nothing legal or illegal going on. They simply dont have anymore being produced. Its the same thing with the Transformers and GI Joes box sets. They go for major money on the aftermarket. If you check with a good, reputable music/video outlet they'll tell you that its "out of print". It happens to all kinds of movies and music.

i see the complete set and the seperate Special Edition dvds in best buy every time i go.

They probably pulled them because they want to build up a certain anticipation for the re-release (same box set) around November when The Dark Knight is released on DVD and Blu-Ray. I'm also sure they will be releasing the Anthology set on Blu-Ray the same day as TDK .

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up; Amazon.com has the Batman: 2-Disc Special Edition DVD back in stock for only $20.99

Get em' while you still can!!!