Tonight's the night

Started by Paul (ral), Thu, 24 Jul 2008, 08:29

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 26 Jul 2008, 12:34 #30 Last Edit: Sat, 26 Jul 2008, 12:40 by silenig
As much as I loved the TDK and I consider Nolan's take a more refined and serious take on the character (while I absolutely love Burton's for different reasons), I think the criticisms have validity. I can't put myself to watch Batman Begins again, although I respect it, while Burton's films are always enjoyable and fun to look at. They aged like wine.

Batman Begins in my mind proved to be a refreshing cup of ice cream. Well-crafted and scripted with the right tone, it commands respect when seen in context (a very successful reboot of the films, a serious take on Batman, it won a portion of the general audience over Marvel films for being more realistic and serious) but, like ice cream, it can be enjoyed only when it has just come out of the freezer. Nowadays it feels more like a "let's get it over with" origin story and a set-up for TDK. It feels a bit rusty, like the colours of it's promotional posters. Simply boring.

So, we don't know how TDK is going to feel not in 2-4 nights, but in 4 years. Maybe it will come a point when even the most vocal Nolan guys will wish for a more fantastic and gothic Batman (with some grips on reality, like the 1989 film) instead of films with a very realistic look, like a crime drama in a cape.

Sat, 26 Jul 2008, 12:45 #31 Last Edit: Sat, 26 Jul 2008, 12:52 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: silenig on Sat, 26 Jul  2008, 12:34
Maybe it will come a point when even the most vocal Nolan guys will wish for a more fantastic and gothic Batman (with some grips on reality, like the 1989 film) instead of films with a very realistic look, like a crime drama in a cape.
We have something very special here with The Dark Knight. On the contrary, maybe there will come a time when the very vocal Burton supporter will come to appreciate the 'crime drama in a cape'.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 26 Jul  2008, 12:45
We have something very special here with The Dark Knight. On the contrary, maybe there will come a time when the very vocal Burton supporter will come to appreciate the 'crime drama in a cape'.

I think that time has come.  Burton supporters have embraced TDK.

Quote from: raleagh on Sat, 26 Jul  2008, 13:09

Like me  ;D
I appreciate ALL dark, serious, and faithful Batman films.

Quote from: BurtonBatman on Sat, 26 Jul  2008, 14:04
Quote from: raleagh on Sat, 26 Jul  2008, 13:09

Like me  ;D

Outstanding. Glad to hear it. The future is brighter and now is the hour for the Bat fans.

I loved TDK and like the "crime drama in a cape" route :) I simply think the Burton-bashing and the looking down upon the gothic Batman isn't here to stay. It's become a bat-wagon everyone wants to jump in. We'll make our judgements after a few years, if we (God willing) are all well  ;D

Quote from: silenig on Sat, 26 Jul  2008, 14:20
I loved TDK and like the "crime drama in a cape" route :) I simply think the Burton-bashing and the looking down upon the gothic Batman isn't here to stay. It's become a bat-wagon everyone wants to jump in. We'll make our judgements after a few years, if we (God willing) are all well  ;D
Yeah. Fandom is where people come together to argue about what they like. Discussion about the two interpretations is healthy.

I?ll make no secret that I favour the Nolan films, but my first love was the brilliant Burton films. I like them both. We can both co-exist and discuss them both here.

I'll make no secret that I favour the Nolan films, but my first love was the brilliant Burton films. I like them both. We can both co-exist and discuss them both here.

Same but i'm in favour of Burton over Nolan but that doesn't mean i don't love the Nolan movies or that i have to hate them.