Returns top 5 best scenes

Started by Sandman, Wed, 23 Jul 2008, 01:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Agreed. Both moments are excellent.

I know it's a film, but in Returns, I wonder why Batman would suit up, walk out from the vault and stop, stand still and give a glare directly at the camera?  ;D

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 30 Apr  2009, 03:39
I know it's a film, but in Returns, I wonder why Batman would suit up, walk out from the vault and stop, stand still and give a glare directly at the camera?  ;D

It gives a great effect, & maybe he wanted to break through the fourth wall (if you know what I mean). :D

It's so damn hard to pick 5 favorite Returns moments, but I guess mine would probably be, in no particular order:

1) Penguin's finale with the zoom shot on unmasked Batman searching through the debris.
2) Penguin's speech about Gotham's first born while he hands out his lists to his goons. Right up to the part where he shoots one of his clowns and kicks him into the water.
3) The sabotaged Batmobile cruising around causing destruction with Penguin at the helm.
4) Batman giving a smirk before knocking the big clown down the hole with the bomb strapped to him.
5) For sure my favorite of all the scenes, the first shot of Keaton brooding in his giant chair, waiting for the signal to come on.

A lot of people here like the unmasked Batman spinning around to see the mortally wounded Penguin.

I agree with you all, it's moving and heroic at the same time. As great as Burton's camera work is, I don't think it would have the same effect without Elfman's music there. They just compliment each other.  :)

Love how the Penguin picks out the cute umbrella by accident! :D ;D

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sat,  2 May  2009, 02:43
Love how the Penguin picks out the cute umbrella by accident! :D ;D
Yep.

The Penguin's death used to bother me, now it doesn't. It was highly unlikely DeVito was going to return anyway, so just end his arc there cleanly. Loose ends are tied off. The death also compliments his life, tragic upbringing and tragic death. And as Burton says as a horror fan, the death of the monster is a main segment of the film. And I agree.

Yeah, even if I don't like so much the Penguin's "funeral", I think is really a deep scene played great by DeVito, and ends clearly the tragic story of Burton's Penguin.
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

My top 5 BR scenes go something like this:

1. Keaton's Bruce Wayne brooding at Wayne Manor, and his dramatic stance while staring at the Batsignal (this is usually the first thing that pops in my head whenever I think of Batman Returns).

2. The birth of Catwoman. Cats biting her fingers, eyes fluttering, good stuff.

3. Bruce and Selina's "Face to Face" identity reveal dance.

4. Any and all scenes with the Penguin getting excited about women ("I'd like to fill her void!", the girl with the dirty blonde hair, Catwoman), and the scene where Max entices Penguin with raw fish. Simply hilarious.

5. The entire "Good will towards men ... and women." ending scene with the eventual appearance of the Batsignal, and the reveal of Catwoman. Elfman's score really brought this one home.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sat,  9 May  2009, 04:16

My top 5 BR scenes go something like this:

1. Keaton's Bruce Wayne brooding at Wayne Manor, and his dramatic stance while staring at the Batsignal (this is usually the first thing that pops in my head whenever I think of Batman Returns).

LOL, it's the same with me (& it also comes up when I'm thinking about Batman in general). Love the music in that scene, as well. LOVE IT! ;D

Quote from: The Joker on Sat,  9 May  2009, 04:16
4. Any and all scenes with the Penguin getting excited about women ("I'd like to fill her void!", the girl with the dirty blonde hair, Catwoman), and the scene where Max entices Penguin with raw fish. Simply hilarious.

"Burn, baby, burn!" :D

It's not everyday you hear stories about a Penguin man with a sex craze!

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Sat,  9 May  2009, 04:24
It's not everyday you hear stories about a Penguin man with a sex craze!
What do you expect after being in the sewer most of your life?  The guy's been supressing himself big time.  ;D