Rumour: DC Comics/Justice League-based movies in development

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 14 Jun 2014, 05:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 18 Jun  2014, 03:05
Quote from: riddler on Tue, 17 Jun  2014, 19:49
Quote from: Edd Grayson on Mon, 16 Jun  2014, 09:50
Oh, I have seen it. And in season 1 everything was goofy, but in season 2 they made a superb villain out of the Mandarin, trying to reclaim his power.

However, what IM3 did was far worse than season 1 Mandarin ever was.  :P

Johnny, the Joker and Maroni scenario was just another extreme example, I really wouldn't want to see that. And Ledger did a good job, but his Joker could've been a lot better in my eyes.

It is an interesting discussion which Joker is better; I'll admit I prefer the mysterious Joker being completely unknown; that's what makes him such a formidable foe for Batman, he isn't looking for anything logical, he's an agent of chaos and doesn't fit any pattern nor can he be easily baited (though he was in the dark knight). I felt Ledger was a little too invincible (the joker has never been known as a physical threat. And I didn't like that Ledger subscribed to batmans no guns policy.Batman is a master fighter, the joker isn't). Jack got the luck and mannerism much better. For instance the electric hand shaker is classic joker as is laughing as he kills people. The laughing gas sequences were pretty cool.

The most annoying thing that put me off about Ledger's Joker, apart from the over-exaggerated praise for his character, was the the hype around the pencil trick scene. I thought it was just a somewhat unique little idea that was blown WAY out of proportion, and pales in comparison to the scene where Nicholson's Joker electrocutes Rotelli to death with a hand-buzzer, while mocking him until he turns into a charred corpse.

If anything, the only part I actually liked about Ledger's Joker was towards the end of the penthouse scene, where Batman tells him to let go of Rachel, and Joker replies "Very poor choice of words!" and pushes her off the edge of the building. That's it. That was the only time I felt that Ledger was playing a character that resembled anything like the Joker. Ironically, for all the praise that people heap on his performance, nobody ever talks about that scene at all. Go figure.  ::)

The joker gun is practically symbolic of the character I mean he uses it to paralyse Barbara Gordon and yet Ledger makes a point to say he doesn't use guns. That scene was decent but it also leads to a gaping plot hole; what happened next after Batman saved Rachel? Did the Joker and his goons just let themselves out? And did batman change back to bruce wayne to let Harvey out of the panic room? Seemed like an unfinished scene to me.

I didn't like the placement of Ledgers joker laugh; seemed that he was on a quota (have to laugh every 2 minutes), Nicholson did it at horrifying moments (ie the buzzer scene).

I don't think the pencil trick was that brilliant. Frankly i'm not a huge fan of the Joker using his bare hands, he's more of a trickster. But that mob scene was excellent, it did set up the remainder of the film and was actually funny (an otherwise foreign concept for Nolan). It did also set up how the Joker is the only one who truly knows Batman which is the essence of the character- he enjoys the anarchy of calling out the Bat. Lastly it did bridge the gap between Begins and the Dark Knight.

Still I love watching the epicness of the Batwing scene in Batman 89 and I love how mad it makes Nolanites; Oh boo hoo prince is cheezy and the batwing had no reason to fly up to the moon to make the bat signal. I was too young to remember but anyone I've spoken to who saw that film in theatres agrees the theatre was cheering at that point. The only cheer I saw in a Nolan film was Gordon saving Batman in the dark knight.

Nolan fans are against comic book films being comic book films. They only want "realism". And while that's not so bad in itself,  most of them won't leave other people alone because they don't agree with them.

Remember the death threats for the critic that gave "Rises" a bad review?  >:(

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Wed, 18 Jun  2014, 15:27
Nolan fans are against comic book films being comic book films. They only want "realism". And while that's not so bad in itself,  most of them won't leave other people alone because they don't agree with them.

They don't understand the concept of "to each their own". It's not just the fact that it's comic bookish although  you're right they are against anything ungrounded unless Nolan does it; it's that they view Nolan as a messiah and everything he says is gospel. After Begins they argued that Nolan was the closest to the comic books and cited things as Keaton not throwing enough batarangs and Burton being wrong for killing his villains; after the dark knight came out, they dropped all 3 of those arguments (it wasn't similar to the comics, Bale didn't throw a single batarang and two face died). I guarantee if Burton had Batman go to Hong Kong instead of Nolan, they'd argue it's stupid for Batman to leave Gotham city.

You'll notice they attack any film which could rival Nolans; when Begins came out they attacked spider-man 2 and 3, when the dark knight came out they attacked iron man, when the dark knight rises came out they attacked the avengers, heck they seem to be the only ones attacking captain america 2 (and that was the closest Marvel film to Nolans style although it still has better pacing and embraces it's roots). Of course they are attacking the amazing spider-man 2 up and down since it is the opposite of a Nolan film. They've been attacking the Burton films since day 1 and after Man of Steel, they attacked the original superman films.

Not that I mind what DC is doing but part of me was hoping a different director would take on Batman just to see them go to war over how inferior that film was.

Quote from: riddler on Wed, 18 Jun  2014, 15:04
I don't think the pencil trick was that brilliant. Frankly i'm not a huge fan of the Joker using his bare hands, he's more of a trickster. But that mob scene was excellent, it did set up the remainder of the film and was actually funny (an otherwise foreign concept for Nolan). It did also set up how the Joker is the only one who truly knows Batman which is the essence of the character- he enjoys the anarchy of calling out the Bat. Lastly it did bridge the gap between Begins and the Dark Knight.

Agree to disagree there. I found nothing funny, or found anything interesting, about that scene at all. Of course a lot of it has to do with how the Joker took himself so seriously, and how the rest of the film literally spells the themes out to the audience (while not really matching what the characters actually do i.e. Joker's planning, Batman's killing of Two-Face etc).

Still I love watching the epicness of the Batwing scene in Batman 89 and I love how mad it makes Nolanites; Oh boo hoo prince is cheezy and the batwing had no reason to fly up to the moon to make the bat signal. I was too young to remember but anyone I've spoken to who saw that film in theatres agrees the theatre was cheering at that point. The only cheer I saw in a Nolan film was Gordon saving Batman in the dark knight.

Yeah well lots of people think Bale's Batman was just as cheesy as anything seen in Schumacher's movies. The difference is that many of them are smart and mature enough not to personally attack people who do like his performance. Perhaps the crazed fanboys, and this isn't exclusive to Nolan's obseessed fans, are just teenage kids who simply don't know better?

I remember someone online saying that The Dark Knight would've been complete if a younger Michael Keaton was still playing Batman, and then some crazed Nolan fanboy degenerate wished him and his family to die in a fire. Like you say, they don't understand the concept "to each their own". Although I don't know what's worse, some degenerate deadbeat who wishes death upon someone's family because they disagreed about something to do with a movie, or the fact that he defended Bale's voice acting.  :P ;)

As bad as the Nolan fan cult is, I'm afraid that The Avengers had a small contingent of crazy fans too. I remember when the movie came out two years ago, some lunatics sent death threats to a female critic who made a couple of critical points in an otherwise positive review.  ::) I think it has to do with how today's hype clouds people's judgement to the point it attracts the worst scum of society too.

But yeah, Avengers' fanatical fanboys do exist. Having said that, they are not as big as Nolan's most fanatical and volatile fanbase. They really are some of the worst kind of fans I've ever seen. It's one thing to simply enjoy a movie, but threatening to kill somebody else just because they didn't like it? I can't think of a more pathetic, cringe worthy reason to send a death threat than that. ??? :-[

Quote from: riddler on Thu, 19 Jun  2014, 02:04
They don't understand the concept of "to each their own". It's not just the fact that it's comic bookish although  you're right they are against anything ungrounded unless Nolan does it; it's that they view Nolan as a messiah and everything he says is gospel. After Begins they argued that Nolan was the closest to the comic books and cited things as Keaton not throwing enough batarangs and Burton being wrong for killing his villains; after the dark knight came out, they dropped all 3 of those arguments (it wasn't similar to the comics, Bale didn't throw a single batarang and two face died). I guarantee if Burton had Batman go to Hong Kong instead of Nolan, they'd argue it's stupid for Batman to leave Gotham city.

It still astounds me to this day that people made such statements, and believe it or not, a lot of people still keep saying the same things. I remember the day after I watched Begins, I read people's comments online from IMDB to internet forums and they were saying stuff like that. All I could think out loud was "Did any of these people actually pay attention to what was going on in the movie? Did they actually see it?". Batman barely even appeared onscreen, and broke his rule twice in that movie - the ninjas in the temple and Ra's al Ghul. And yet, even after Batman kills Two-Face in the second film which only confirms his moral dilemma in his fight with the Joker to be even more meaningless you can still find people arguing the same old things over and over again. I guess being a dedicated film fan nowadays is about believing what you want to see?

They've been attacking the Burton films since day 1 and after Man of Steel, they attacked the original superman films.

Maybe some of them do, but I've noticed that a lot of them have dropped Man of Steel like a hot potato because of its mixed critical reception. People who post in places like comicbookmovie.com complain about the movie's problems like the expository dialogue, collateral damage, Superman killing, and it takes itself so seriously, and yet they ironically praise Nolan's Batman even though they're quite guilty of doing the same things too. I've noticed that a lot of these people really do put a lot of emphasis on Rotten Tomatoes scores and critic reviews to justify why they think a movie is good, but they tend to fold when  when someone mentions about a movie's problems.

Not that I mind what DC is doing but part of me was hoping a different director would take on Batman just to see them go to war over how inferior that film was.

If the rumoured groundwork with these new movies are true, it's important that WB look for new directors and other talent to contribute to this film universe. If Marvel Studios stayed with the same directors for every movie they made, things would've looked stale and people might have been burnt out by fatigue. Whether you love or hate the Mandarin twist, Iron Man 3 at least did something that would never have been imagined in a comic book film, and we would never have gotten The Winter Soldier if they applied the same Tony Stark approach to Captain America. My point is, they need new directors who can take these movies and make them stand out from each other, but still convince the audience that they are part of the same universe. But if they are going to apply the same brooding tone to something like Shazam, then that is just idiotic. And I'll say it again, Goyer writing a Wonder Woman movie won't cut it.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The batwing vs Joker scene is better than the batpod-Joker equivalent, too. In TDK, Ledger Joker knows Batman has a no kill policy and thus will swerve out of the way. It's a calculated risk. In B89, Nicholson Joker knows Batman kills, yet still stands in full view, goading the guy to take his best shot. It's not a calculated risk but purely suicidal, thus gutsier by a mile.
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 19 Jun  2014, 06:07
Agree to disagree there. I found nothing funny, or found anything interesting, about that scene at all. Of course a lot of it has to do with how the Joker took himself so seriously, and how the rest of the film literally spells the themes out to the audience (while not really matching what the characters actually do i.e. Joker's planning, Batman's killing of Two-Face etc).
Nothing has topped Nicholson's conversation with the burnt corpse. The perfect blend of surreal, sick and twisted humour. His laugh at the end of the scene is perhaps the best ever by any Joker actor. Ledger did a fine job with the material and angle given, but was too one way for my liking. Nicholson remains king as far as I am concerned in live action.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 19 Jun  2014, 06:07

Yeah well lots of people think Bale's Batman was just as cheesy as anything seen in Schumacher's movies. The difference is that many of them are smart and mature enough not to personally attack people who do like his performance. Perhaps the crazed fanboys, and this isn't exclusive to Nolan's obseessed fans, are just teenage kids who simply don't know better?

I remember someone online saying that The Dark Knight would've been complete if a younger Michael Keaton was still playing Batman, and then some crazed Nolan fanboy degenerate wished him and his family to die in a fire. Like you say, they don't understand the concept "to each their own". Although I don't know what's worse, some degenerate deadbeat who wishes death upon someone's family because they disagreed about something to do with a movie, or the fact that he defended Bale's voice acting.  :P ;)

As bad as the Nolan fan cult is, I'm afraid that The Avengers had a small contingent of crazy fans too. I remember when the movie came out two years ago, some lunatics sent death threats to a female critic who made a couple of critical points in an otherwise positive review.  ::) I think it has to do with how today's hype clouds people's judgement to the point it attracts the worst scum of society too.

But yeah, Avengers' fanatical fanboys do exist. Having said that, they are not as big as Nolan's most fanatical and volatile fanbase. They really are some of the worst kind of fans I've ever seen. It's one thing to simply enjoy a movie, but threatening to kill somebody else just because they didn't like it? I can't think of a more pathetic, cringe worthy reason to send a death threat than that. ??? :-[

Quote from: riddler on Thu, 19 Jun  2014, 02:04

It still astounds me to this day that people made such statements, and believe it or not, a lot of people still keep saying the same things. I remember the day after I watched Begins, I read people's comments online from IMDB to internet forums and they were saying stuff like that. All I could think out loud was "Did any of these people actually pay attention to what was going on in the movie? Did they actually see it?". Batman barely even appeared onscreen, and broke his rule twice in that movie - the ninjas in the temple and Ra's al Ghul. And yet, even after Batman kills Two-Face in the second film which only confirms his moral dilemma in his fight with the Joker to be even more meaningless you can still find people arguing the same old things over and over again. I guess being a dedicated film fan nowadays is about believing what you want to see?

They've been attacking the Burton films since day 1 and after Man of Steel, they attacked the original superman films.

Maybe some of them do, but I've noticed that a lot of them have dropped Man of Steel like a hot potato because of its mixed critical reception. People who post in places like comicbookmovie.com complain about the movie's problems like the expository dialogue, collateral damage, Superman killing, and it takes itself so seriously, and yet they ironically praise Nolan's Batman even though they're quite guilty of doing the same things too. I've noticed that a lot of these people really do put a lot of emphasis on Rotten Tomatoes scores and critic reviews to justify why they think a movie is good, but they tend to fold when  when someone mentions about a movie's problems.

If the rumoured groundwork with these new movies are true, it's important that WB look for new directors and other talent to contribute to this film universe. If Marvel Studios stayed with the same directors for every movie they made, things would've looked stale and people might have been burnt out by fatigue. Whether you love or hate the Mandarin twist, Iron Man 3 at least did something that would never have been imagined in a comic book film, and we would never have gotten The Winter Soldier if they applied the same Tony Stark approach to Captain America. My point is, they need new directors who can take these movies and make them stand out from each other, but still convince the audience that they are part of the same universe. But if they are going to apply the same brooding tone to something like Shazam, then that is just idiotic. And I'll say it again, Goyer writing a Wonder Woman movie won't cut it.

I just liked how ledger was the only one who truly GETS batman,, even Alfred doesn't to an extent although with Bale contradicting himself so often, you can't blame it. He knew batman was getting to the mob and he knew Batman would find Lau and make him squeal. It would have been better if  they admitted the Joker is a planner than flip flop and pretend he is a dog chasing cars.

Some Nolanites are simply the 'newer is better' crowd. They clearly don't remember how Burton and even schumacher created Batmania in a matter Nolan only dreamed. Presumably some will jump ship the next take of Batman. It is laughable how they defend Bales voice and call anyone out for hating it despite the fact that pretty much only Nolanites themselves like it. They act like the only way for Bruce Wayne to mask his voice is to speak in an irritating chain smoker voice where nobody knows what he's saying. They also dodge the legit question of why Bale still uses the bat voice when he's talking to himself or someone who knows he's Bruce Wayne (Fox).

The only marvel films which had the same directors were the first 2 iron man movies and the 2 avengers films. That strategy could work better for DC, DC heroes all come from their own unique worlds so it is interesting in the comics when they bring it together for the JLA.

I did post a list here of Goyers comic credits; he misses far more than he hits.

Well, I guess this rumour turned out to be BS after all. Typical WB.  ::)
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 28 Jul  2014, 04:07
Well, I guess this rumour turned out to be BS after all. Typical WB.  ::)

Scratch that - looks like there is truth to it after all.

WARNER BROS ANNOUNCES RELEASE DATES FOR NINE UPCOMING DC COMICS FILMS
August 6th, 2014  Adrian Garza
Warner Bros
SDCC may have been weeks ago, but there still seems to be a steady stream of geek-centric news to keep us excited. In a move that not only catches up with, but actually surpasses the extent of Marvel Studios' announcement regarding the upcoming dates of their five forthcoming productions, Warner Bros have posted the dates for their nine planned productions through 2020.

However, things do still remain a little ambiguous for the future. The only announced film currently connected to a release date would be Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice, recently bumped up from May 6, 2016 to March 25, 2016. It's probably safe to assume that some previously discussed productions revolving around Shazam, Sandman and the Justice League will be seeing the light of day sooner than later.

These release dates can be seen following the jump. Be sure to keep up with UTG on Facebook and Twitter for more entertainment news as it becomes available.

Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice – 03/25/16
Untitled DC Film – 08/05/16
Untitled DC Film – 06/23/17
Untitled DC Film – 11/17/17
Untitled DC Film – 03/23/18
Untitled DC Film – 07/27/18
Untitled WB Event Film – 11/16/18
Untitled DC Film – 04/05/19
Untitled DC Film – 06/14/19
Untitled DC Film – 04/03/20
Untitled DC Film – 06/19/20
Untitled WB Event Film – 11/20/20

Source: http://www.underthegunreview.net/2014/08/06/warner-bros-announces-release-dates-for-nine-upcoming-dc-comics-films/

A solo Batman movie has got to be one of those, surely.

I need a Snyder/Affleck outing.

Not to sound pessimistic, but I'm highly sceptical about WB's ability to follow through with this. It's most likely a show of confidence intended to make the new BvS release date look like part of a larger strategy. Let's not forget they announced a stream of superhero films after The Dark Knight came out, but after Jonah Hex and Green Lantern flopped, they abandoned all of them. They only got to work on Man of Steel after a judge told them they had to if they wanted to keep the rights.

Remember the films Superman Lives, Justice League: Mortal and David Goyer's Green Arrow: Super Max? Remember the TV shows The Graysons and the Wonder Woman series Amazon? DC/WB love to announce things, but they seldom see them through to completion. They should wait and see how much money BvS makes before making premature commitments.

But I sincerely hope they do release this many DC movies, as long as they're not all Batman and Superman films.