Predictions for best comic book/superhero movie of 2014?

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 15 Mar 2014, 18:03

Previous topic - Next topic
With so many films in this genre scheduled for release in 2014, which do you think will be the best? And which do you think will be the most disappointing?

I suppose we should count The Lego Movie as the first comic book film of the year, since it features Batman and other DC heroes so prominently. I haven't seen it yet myself, but I'm looking forward to watching it eventually. It's got a 96% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, making it the highest rated theatrically released Batman movie of all time. It's nice to see that a lighter, funnier version of Batman still resonates with audiences.

We've also already seen the releases of RoboCop and 300: Rise of an Empire. Both movies have received mixed to negative reviews but are doing ok at the box office.

There's another belated Frank Miller sequel coming out this year in the form of Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. It's scheduled for an August release.

Sony is releasing The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in April, just in time for the Easter holidays.

Disney is releasing three Marvel movies this year. Captain America: The Winter Soldier comes out later this month. So far it's receiving positive word of mouth from people who attended the preview screenings.

Guardians of the Galaxy is scheduled for release in August.

They're also releasing a computer animated movie based on the Big Hero 6 comic series, though it's only coming out in America and a few other places towards the end of the year. We won't get it in the UK until early 2015.

Fox are continuing their own Marvel universe with X-Men: Days of Future Past, which should come out in May.

Then of course there's Michael Bay's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot, which is slated for an autumn release, just in time for Halloween.

DC Comics, as usual, have no live action movies scheduled for release this year. They are however releasing two animated Batman movies in 2014: Son of Batman and Batman: Assault on Arkham. This latter film will take place in the same universe as the Arkham game series.

So unless I've forgotten anything, that gives us the following comic book/superhero movies for 2014.

•   The Lego Movie
•   RoboCop
•   300: Rise of an Empire
•   Captain America: The Winter Solider
•   The Amazing Spider-Man 2
•   Son of Batman
•   X-Men: Days of Future Past
•   Guardians of the Galaxy
•   Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
•   Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
•   Batman: Assault on Arkham
•   Big Hero 6

I'm most looking forward to The Lego Movie, Captain America 2, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Son of Batman. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is probably the film I'm most apprehensive about. That one could go either way.

What does everyone else think?

After the hilarious trailer, 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is the one I have the highest expectations for.  The next 'Captain America' film could be good too.  I have some reservations about 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' however.  I liked the first one a lot but I'm concerned that there will be an overload of villains and that Harry Osborne is being set-up as the villain too early in the proceedings.

I'm not a fan of Frank Miller so I can take or leave the '300' and 'Sin City' sequels, and the 'Lego Movie' trailer looked stupid to me, although I appreciate everyone else has raved about it, critics and audience members alike.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

It's such a close call between the Marvel Studios pictures (and ASM2) that I honestly can't choose. It's like choosing a favorite child. It helps that they're all comics/characters I have a deep affinity for.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

I think TASM2 will be good, better than the first Webb outing. Though I wish they eased up on the promotion. This is the film I have the most interest in due to the character.

There will be key deviations from the comics and also Raimi, but this is hardly unique or something to hate. I quite like this approach. This will be the film that truly differentiates the two series' (Raimi and Webb).

The Winter Solider is my second most anticipated. It just looks fun. Thirdly, X-Men. The trailers haven't truly captured my imagination - but I think it will work out just fine come release day.

I don't have any interest in the others, except for Assault on Arkham, which I am really anticipating.

If you put a gun to my head and make me choose now I'll pick ASM2. I do worry that it may have spider-man 3's fate of too many characters but I felt Marc Webb did an outstanding job in the first one developing all the characters he put in so I have hope.

Guardians of the galaxy is the most unpredictable. Could be a hit or miss but Bradley Cooper should make it watchable.

I am excited about Winter soldier, IMO it is my favourite Captain america comic story.

"Cap: Winter Soldier" would be my pick for most likely being the best Superhero/comic based movie of 2014, but it's not quite my most anticipated. Right now, I have a bit more interest in seeing "X-Men: Days of Future Past". As I'm really looking forward in seeing the casts from each timeline interact in this particular storyline. ASM2 looks alright, though this obvious focus on bringing in the Sinister Six as quickly as possible just comes across as incredibly gimmicky to me.

Being a guy who grew up loving "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", I am anxiously awaiting a trailer for that. Not at all getting my hopes up, but if they actually surprise us and succeed in putting out a great trailer, it would easily bump ASM2 from the third slot in my Superhero/Comic-Movie anticipation list.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

In all honesty i'm just looking forward to "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" mainly cause it's been years since the turtles had a live action movie & after seeing their new costumes along with shredder i have a feeling the movie will rise up to the first films greatness plus krang is gonna be in it so i bet ya anything we're have a awesome TMNT movie that has a balance of the comics & tv show all roll into 1 combination pizza  :D....man now i want pizza darn you mikey!!!
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

Quote from: BatmanFanatic93 on Sun, 16 Mar  2014, 19:34
In all honesty i'm just looking forward to "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" mainly cause it's been years since the turtles had a live action movie & after seeing their new costumes along with shredder i have a feeling the movie will rise up to the first films greatness plus krang is gonna be in it so i bet ya anything we're have a awesome TMNT movie that has a balance of the comics & tv show all roll into 1 combination pizza  :D....man now i want pizza darn you mikey!!!
Ummm...I know you guys are all TMNT fans and all but may I remind you this film I being produced by Michael Bay.  :-X
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

QuoteUmmm...I know you guys are all TMNT fans and all but may I remind you this film I being produced by Michael Bay.  :-X
Meh as long he isn't directing i'm fine  :P
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 16 Mar  2014, 21:18
Ummm...I know you guys are all TMNT fans and all but may I remind you this film I being produced by Michael Bay.  :-X

Hence my apprehension. :(

Have you heard Bay's producing a remake of The Birds (1963) now? Is nothing sacred anymore? Didn't they learn anything from Gus Van Sant's pointless retread of Psycho (1960)? Certain filmmakers' work should be off limits, and Hitchcock has been my favourite director since I was a child. Remaking one of his films is tantamount to rewriting Dickens. It shouldn't be done.