Predictions for best comic book/superhero movie of 2014?

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 15 Mar 2014, 18:03

Previous topic - Next topic
Re-adapting an existing work is a-ok in my book, just try to be different from the previous adaptations where you can. That's where the '98 Psycho remake was a waste.

X-Men is my favorite comic book of all time, but due to the existing X-film universe being so lacklustre (yeah, I'm one of those guys that dislikes the Bryan Singer-verse), DOFP is lowest on my list of '14 anticipated.

My only regret with Cap and ASM2 is the lack of the returning composers. You go from Alan Silvestri and James Horner (two of my most favorite composers), having composed two of the best comic film scores (Cap: TFA and ASM) to Henry Jackman and Hans Zimmer? I cringe at the thought.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 16 Mar  2014, 21:18
QuoteUmmm...I know you guys are all TMNT fans and all but may I remind you this film I being produced by Michael Bay.  :-X

If I had a penny every time I heard that, I would probably have a $1 bill right now.

Preferably with Jack's image on it.

Even though Bay is producing, rather than directing, I'm sure his influence will be felt in the final product. However, if the film turns out to be something highly entertaining, and fun, then I'll be atleast satisfied. I already know this won't be anything like the gritty, Mirage comics influenced 1990 film, they appear to be going for a decidedly more Fred Wolf toon approach with this one from what I can tell, but if it can achieve in atleast capturing that particular version of TMNT in a worthwhile fashion, which I don't think would be especially difficult, then that's alright by me.

Have to wait-and-see of course, but I can't say I am a big hater of Michael Bay, nor a big supporter either. Some of his films I can easily pass on, while others I'll watch occasionally if I am in that popcorn action movie kinda mood, which is what Bay excels in. Put it to you this way, I grew up more of a G.I. Joe fan (vs Transformers), but will take the Bayformers over the two extremely lackluster Joe films any day of the week. Especially the Stephen Sommers one. That was absolutely atrocious.

On remakes in general, it's getting to the point where nothing is surprising anymore. Sometimes they turn out alright, and sometimes not-so-much. In the era in which Psycho was remade (1998), it was surprising due to that particular film being one of the most celebrated in the Hitchcock filmography aaaannd Hollywood not fully going into full blown remake mode quite yet. Didn't turn out so well, but I remember hearing about The Texas Chainsaw Massacre being remade in 2002 (another Bay produced flick) and was REALLY not looking forward to that as the original is certainly a landmark film in horror, but was pleasantly surprised when I saw it in 2003. Doesn't hold a candle to the raw power of the 1974 classic, but atleast it was an adequate TCM movie. Something that was severely lacking from the previous two turkeys.

Course the list goes on and on, but it's probably just a matter of time before JAWS gets remade. Completely unnecessary of course, but it can be argued any remake to a GOOD movie is unnecessary, though, of course, these remakes do keep coming along don't they? And if Hitchcock and Spielberg aren't sacred, then you know Kubrick's next.....

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."