Comic Book Influences on Tim Burton's Batman (1989)

Started by BatmAngelus, Fri, 18 Jul 2008, 01:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Here's a nice video comparing the differences between Batman 1989 the film, and Batman 1989 the comic book adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9rc2aIa4ro&list=FL2E_KOhE1_wJT8fltjHkXsA&index=26&t=460s

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Good find! Nice video there. I always assumed that the comic book was based on earlier script that O'Neil and Ordway tweaked in order to make it more comic-friendly. So the comic book probably evolved under different conditions with different requirements beginning from a slightly different starting point. Differences are inevitable. And, really, desirable since some of the stuff in B89 wouldn't work as effectively in a comic.

One of the more serious surgical operations I've ever seen performed on a comic adaptation of a movie is Superman IV. The differences between the comic and the movie are absolutely staggering since the comic creators took it upon themselves to fix a lot of the movie's problems. I daresay the Superman IV comic book is a far more enjoyable experience than the movie upon which it is based.

The video neglected to mention the comic included the deleted scene where the Joker was tricking people with fake money, which was meant to be a callback to the "My face on the one dollar bill" line earlier on in the film.

It was planned in the script and props do exist.

Source: https://www.batman-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=2873.0

Out of all the scrapped scenes, I wish this was included in the film. My only guess why it wasn't included was because the production was tight with meeting the 2 hour running time. But I still reckon the scene could've lasted five seconds at best and I'm sure it could've squeezed into that parade scene.

It's a nice video, but I do have some gripes the commentary. I'm not sure where the narrator gets the idea Keaton's Batman is dangerous and reckless with his use of his vehicles. Keaton's Batman and Vicki were trying to escape from the Joker's goons, and they were forced to abandon the Batmobile when the road is blocked, and taking the chase away from the public. Batman used the Batwing to remove the toxic balloons away from the crowd and only shot at Joker at his goons. I don't see how any of his conduct here is any more dangerous than other future portrayals of the character.

I don't buy that Bruce's relationship with Vicki makes him less dedicated either. Bruce has had romantic relationships in the comics, but that alone doesn't necessarily make him any less focused on his mission. Actually, Bruce appeared to be at peace when it was revealed it didn't work out with Vicki in BR, unlike say, in Detective Comics #478 - where he is distraught and angry over the fact that being Batman is what drove him and Silver St Cloud apart and even considered quitting in one moment.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I wanted that scene in the movie because it pays off Joker's earlier remark to Vicki that he wanted his face on the $1 bill.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 17 Nov  2018, 15:24
I daresay the Superman IV comic book is a far more enjoyable experience than the movie upon which it is based.

I really need to get ahold of that book one day.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 18 Nov  2018, 04:00
The video neglected to mention the comic included the deleted scene where the Joker was tricking people with fake money, which was meant to be a callback to the "My face on the one dollar bill" line earlier on in the film.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 18 Nov  2018, 06:36
I wanted that scene in the movie because it pays off Joker's earlier remark to Vicki that he wanted his face on the $1 bill.

Yes. I think in the Joker's mind, luring the 'little people' of Gotham to their demise with what is the equivalent to monopoly money, provides the gag, or punchline to the balloon parade itself. Essentially, a preliminary set up to have scores of victims dead on the streets prior to the Joker's battle with Batman.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 18 Nov  2018, 04:00

It was planned in the script and props do exist.

Source: https://www.batman-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=2873.0

Out of all the scrapped scenes, I wish this was included in the film. My only guess why it wasn't included was because the production was tight with meeting the 2 hour running time. But I still reckon the scene could've lasted five seconds at best and I'm sure it could've squeezed into that parade scene.

I'm actually a bigger fan of the idea that he handed out real money. Only because it highlights that the Joker could care less about materialistic things to the point that he'd hand out $20 million just to kill as many people as possible.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sun,  9 Dec  2018, 03:27
I'm actually a bigger fan of the idea that he handed out real money. Only because it highlights that the Joker could care less about materialistic things to the point that he'd hand out $20 million just to kill as many people as possible.

Yeah, that's a valid point to make. But I personally like the idea that he could have given away fake money as a rude wake-up call to the mindless masses before he tries to gas them to death. Nonetheless, he still tricked them in any case.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The fake money would've had the message that people weren't paying attention to what was really going on, and the joke was truly on them. Greed blinded them. But I guess even in the film version the intent of the public is still the same. They attended the parade for free money because they were greedy and opportunistic. They didn't care that the Joker was a poisoning murderer - free money was to be had. The fake money would've just been a nice added flourish.

This panel below from Detective Comics #484 reminds me of the scene where Batman rises above the wreckage after the Joker destroyed the Batwing. In this comic, the Batmobile was destroyed by Maxie Zeus's lightning.

Good example there. I remember feeling sad for Batman as a young kid every time I watched this scene, knowing he was hurt, and the fact such an awesome vehicle had just been destroyed. It really did make the film better though, especially for the finale. Throwing those cathedral doors open and climbing the stairs with that bloodied face conjures a lot of emotion and power in me even today.