Anyone seen The Dark Knight yet?

Started by Sandman, Thu, 17 Jul 2008, 06:47

Previous topic - Next topic
I never said I wasn't impressed by TDK, I simply have issues with some of the characterizations.  On balance, I find the Burton films highly superior in every way that matters.  That doesn't mean I can't enjoy MOTP, TDK and other things as well.  Batman's a rich, dynamic character and there's room for individual taste.

TDK, your sweeping pro-Nolan (sort of) anti-Burton statements are wearing thin. I know you loved TDK. I did too. But saying that it's the first or the only Batman film with artistic merit is snobbish and absurd. You need to add a lot more "IMO"s and less definitive statements. We do NOT want this place turning into SuperHeroHype.

Colorsblend, you're just as guilty of at-times being staunchly anti-Nolan in your comments. You need to add a lot more IMOs and less definitives, as well.

Why can't there ever be peace in this fandom? I swear to God, I'm so sick of both sides being so f***ing sensitive as to take the other side's comments up the ass, and likewise, I'm tired of the snobs on BOTH sides.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Tue, 22 Jul  2008, 07:36
You need to add a lot more "IMO"s and less definitive statements.
Fair enough, will do. I'm not going to censor myself in any case. I'm not a Burton basher, I just favour Nolan's universe.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 22 Jul  2008, 07:42
Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Tue, 22 Jul  2008, 07:36
You need to add a lot more "IMO"s and less definitive statements.
Fair enough, will do. I'm not going to censor myself in any case. I'm not a Burton basher, I just favour Nolan's universe.

Exactly, and he isn't a Nolan basher either, as evidenced by his last post. It's amazing sometimes to realize that the person you were arguing with may not have been as crazy as you thought, all because you were too busy barking at each other to realize that if you were both being civil, there'd be no problem.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

IMO, TDK is the best Batman film ever and will probably gain recognition from the Academy for it, as will Heath's performance.  I'll copy my review from BOF as soon as spoilers are allowed, or a TDK review thread that allows spoilers is started here.  In short, If I had to pick a favorite between B89 and TDK I couldn't right now. 

I appreciate ALL dark, serious, and faithful Batman films.

I was skeptical of this for a long time, but this film definitely went above my expectations and blew Batman Begins out of the water!  In my opinion, if Nolan improved this much since Begins, I eagerly look forward to what he brings to the table in part three.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I have watched it only once. Very powerful film. As countless others have said, what Ledger did is beyond words.

Quote from: BurtonBatman on Tue, 22 Jul  2008, 19:38
IMO, TDK is the best Batman film ever and will probably gain recognition from the Academy for it, as will Heath's performance. 
Yeah, I completetly agree.