What's Batman's worst mistake in BR?

Started by Catbat, Mon, 17 Feb 2014, 23:39

Previous topic - Next topic

What's Batman's worst mistake in Batman Returns?

Hi there,
Batman sometimes makes mistakes - not many, but there are times in which the consequences of those mistakes can be painful for him...
I've selected some circumstances where his judgment or readiness to intervene are not perfect - to be honest with him, this time also because he faces three enemies simultaneously...

Have fun and let me know your opinions!

Quote from: Catbat on Mon, 17 Feb  2014, 23:39
Hi there,
Batman sometimes makes mistakes - not many, but there are times in which the consequences of those mistakes can be painful for him...
I've selected some circumstances where his judgment or readiness to intervene are not perfect - to be honest with him, this time also because he faces three enemies simultaneously...

Have fun and let me know your opinions!
Hello Catbat.  Welcome to the forum.  I assume you're new here judging by your post count but please excuse me if I'm wrong.  :)

I picked Batman losing the Batarang because it's this mistake that leads to the Penguin being able to frame Batman for the Ice Princess's kidnap.  Without this false 'smoking gun' the Penguin might not have so easily been able to frame Batman and may even have had to forego kidnapping the Princess, whose death is one of the most regrettable elements in the film.

Batman probably could have reacted sooner to try to save the Princess later in the film but I honestly believe he was being stealthy because he didn't want to alarm her and make her even more likely to fall.  In retrospect he probably should have rushed out quickly to grab her.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Gobbs is right. The drama of the film rests with that stray batarang the poodle runs off with. With that, Batman is framed and forced into a very public trap. The Batmobile sabotage he couldn't possibly have foreseen in my view. Even if he saved the princess, that street rampage was going to cement public distrust.

"Hesitating to escape Catwoman's straddle position" is definitely not a mistake. Unless you mean it was a mistake for him not to let it last longer.  :P

But, in all seriousness, I chose "underestimating the Batmobile's defenses" because it's not only a powerful vehicle, it's a symbol of the Batman. If it falls into the wrong hands, it can do a lot of damage to not only civilians but also Batman's reputation, as we saw in BR.

interrupting selina when she was about to send max to the great beyond lol.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Tue, 18 Feb  2014, 02:25
Unless you mean it was a mistake for him not to let it last longer.  :P
Bats should have improved his armour and remained on the floor with her. She could've kept stabbing all night.

How could either Batman or Catwoman be thinking about sex after what had just happened, including the Ice Princess dying thanks to their joint incompetence?  >:(

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 18 Feb  2014, 09:23
How could either Batman or Catwoman be thinking about sex after what had just happened, including the Ice Princess dying thanks to their joint incompetence?  >:(

they knew how to prioritize.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 18 Feb  2014, 08:31
Quote from: phantom stranger on Tue, 18 Feb  2014, 02:25
Unless you mean it was a mistake for him not to let it last longer.  :P
Bats should have improved his armour and remained on the floor with her. She could've kept stabbing all night.

i bet he planned to work on that as soon as he got home. then pengy took him on the ride from hell and his plans and focus changed lol.

Quote from: Catwoman on Tue, 18 Feb  2014, 11:49
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 18 Feb  2014, 09:23

they knew how to prioritize.
Batman should have prioritised saving the princess and when that failed, apprehending Catwoman and taking her to the police to absolve him of wrongdoing and implicate herself and the Penguin.

I'm not sure how they could think about kinky stuff after what had just happened.  They must have thought the girl deserved what happened to her to be so blasé about it all.