Is There a Plausible Way to Tie 'Batman Returns' to 'Batman Forever'?

Started by Burtonite_08, Sat, 12 Jul 2008, 14:35

Previous topic - Next topic
The 1989-1997 Bat films never really had a strong sense of continuity with each other. Obviously, a lot of if had to due with the changing actors playing Batman and the vastly differences in directing styles of Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher. Even in "Batman Returns", Tim Burton didn't want it to be too much of a direct sequel to "Batman '89". They were basically, like the James Bond films, where all of the films although containing similar elements and standard formula, are at the end of the day, self-contained.

I've been thinking about this all day. The animated "Batman: Gotham Knight" anthology film is supposedly meant to take place in-between the events of "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight". "X-Men: The Official Game" was meant to serve as a bridge between "X2" and "X-Men: The Last Stand".

A proposed (rough) timeline of events during the gap of "Batman Returns" and "Batman Forever":
*Batman/Bruce Wayne comes to the conclusion that he know longer wants to kill out of vengeful rage (hence, him telling Dick Grayson not to follow down his path in wanting to kill Two-Face) as seen in "Batman '89" and "Batman Returns". Possibly, his experience with Catwoman (who wanted to kill her "creator", Max Shreck just like Batman wanted to kill his "creator", the Joker in "Batman '89") is the starting point to this change of tune. Also, maybe Shreck (in a rare selfless act) being willing to sacrifice himself in order to save his son (for whom the Penguin was planning to kill as well as all the other first born children of Gotham) had enough of an effect on Bruce to want "save" his surrogate son, Dick Grayson".

*Batman is fully cleared of the Ice Princess' murder that Penguin framed him for in "Batman Returns". Although, the Batsignal already popped up at the end of "Batman Returns".

*The new Batmobile is created (possibly because the Penguin found blueprints to the original one).

*The panther Batsuit is introduced. It could be explained that Bruce likes to modifiy the suits in order to improve mobility (as was the case with the "Batman '89" suit vs. the "Batman Returns" suit) and make him more imprevious to attacks (a la Catwoman using her claws to puncher his chest plate). Maybe Bruce took some time to travel (to places like Greece or Japan like he said in "Batman '89") to clear his head after the events of "Batman Returns" and became inspired by the statues of the Greek gods (like Joel Schumacher implied as the inspiration behind the Batsuits).

*With Carl Grissom and Joker dead, Sal Maroni becomes the new crime boss of Gotham (leading up to his trial and him throwing acid in Harvey Dent's face).

*Why does Gotham City look so different in "Batman Forever" when compared to the Burton films, well maybe there was an earthquake (a la the "Cataclysm" storyline in the comics).

I think the real answer is that Schumacher went out of his way to distance himself from Burton's work... whether that was his own choice or WB's insistence is, as ever, up for discussion.

As for thematically tying the films together, one could argue that Batman learned his lesson about killing in BR, and BF is the culmination of that.  He's ready to be a mentor because he'd made a lot of mistakes himself.

I don't completely buy a non-killing Batman but you could make this work if you were determined enough to try.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 12 Jul  2008, 21:46
tying the films together, one could argue that Batman learned his lesson about killing in BR, and BF is the culmination of that. 

He didn't kill anyone "important" to trigger such a change. Only henchmen, and we don't even see them die on-screen.

There was also the scene when Nicole Kidman's character tells Batman that she heard he had a thing for whips and leather, obviously referring to Catwoman so that relates to Returns. Myself, I don't like to connect these two films either and purely just of of interest as Returns is a far more dark and mature film whereas Forever went down the kids film route, which I thought ruined it. Plus I think Robin ruins the Batman franchise but thats just me.

I've always been for completely seperating these films. These films having connection to each other should be minimal.

Quote from: Batman on Mon, 14 Jul  2008, 14:37He didn't kill anyone "important" to trigger such a change. Only henchmen, and we don't even see them die on-screen.
Killing someone important isn't the only way to accomplish said change.  He saw the self-destructive choices Catwoman was making and how they mirrored his own and decided to make a change... and that was apparent even before credits rolled on BR.  Batman told Shreck that he was going to jail.  Had it been Batman from earlier on in BR, I have no doubt he would've let Selina kill him or else done the job himself.

I love that whole scene between Shrek and Catwoman. "A half pint. I'm talking gallons" LOL

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Mon, 14 Jul  2008, 17:30
I've always been for completely seperating these films. These films having connection to each other should be minimal.
I agree. I like that this website is primarily centred around the two Burton and Nolan films. They are the only decent Batman films, in my opinion. I'm sure many of you are with me on this.