Top 10 Marvel comics films

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 24 Jul 2013, 16:44

Previous topic - Next topic
It's about time some people gave Captain America: The First Avenger respect that it deserves. A great film, possibly my favourite out of all the movies based on Marvel Comics. That film had a lot of heart, adventure, a protagonist who you could understand just by being shown, not told about what's so special about him, and did the '40s era justice. Only nitpick I have is that I wish the HYDRA villains spoke German. Then again, I guess you could argue that Asgardians should speak in their own Scandinavian language as well.

Nonetheless, I never rank anything that I like because my mood for certain films may change every now and then. So I'm just going to list down the Marvel-based films that I've enjoyed by alphabetical order.

Captain America: The First Avenger (personal fave)
Hulk
Iron Man
Iron Man 3
Spider-Man (2002)
Spider-Man 2
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Avengers
The Incredible Hulk
Thor
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I definitely concur with the Captain America love.  It's a great film full of beautiful period detail and directed with the emphasis on fun and good-old-fashioned adventure akin to The Rocketeer, also directed by the ever-dependable Joe Johnston.  I realise 'ever-dependable' sounds like a patronising back-handed comment but I mean it as an unequivocal fan of the guy who made the joyous 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids' and the underrated, and far superior to the 'The Lost World', third 'Jurassic Park' movie, and there's something to be said for a solid genre movie director who can pull off a coherent exciting action sequence with minimal fuss or bloat.

I also really enjoyed Chris Evans performance.  I wasn't sure he'd pull it off after the 'Fantastic Four' films but he effortlessly conveyed the decency and diligent honour that is fundamental to the character making him a far more sympathetic protagonist than an otherworldly god like Thor or a narcissistic self-absorbed playboy-genius like Iron Man.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I agree, Evans was excellent as the Cap and a very good movie all-around. Not flawless of course, but no movie is. I had a problem with the Red Skull, he seemed too bland for my taste.

Good to see I'm not the only one who likes Iron Man 2 and Daredevil.

As good Avengers is (and it is good; I was about ready to cry when credits rolled), Cap is the movie I keep coming back to. It's my fave of the bunch. Honor without being patronizing about it, loyal without a bunch of flowery speeches, tough without machismo; Cap is the best the CMU has to offer, if you ask me. All thrilla, no filla.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 25 Jul  2013, 11:53
As good Avengers is (and it is good; I was about ready to cry when credits rolled), Cap is the movie I keep coming back to. It's my fave of the bunch. Honor without being patronizing about it, loyal without a bunch of flowery speeches, tough without machismo; Cap is the best the CMU has to offer, if you ask me. All thrilla, no filla.

Damn right. I'm not even American, but even I can recognize the quality of this movie. :)

I've heard some lousy excuses from people who didn't like the film, such as the complaints that it didn't explore the Nazis and the horrors of World War II. Well, if The First Avenger did that then it would probably lose sight on HYDRA and even Captain America himself. ::) I guess one may claim that Red Skull wasn't given too much to do, which I won't argue. But then again some films can get away with having ordinary or subpar villains and still be a good film, like Dredd 2012.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 25 Jul  2013, 12:03
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 25 Jul  2013, 11:53

Damn right. I'm not even American, but even I can recognize the quality of this movie. :)

I've heard some lousy excuses from people who didn't like the film, such as the complaints that it didn't explore the Nazis and the horrors of World War II. Well, if The First Avenger did that then it would probably lose sight on HYDRA and even Captain America himself. ::) I guess one may claim that Red Skull wasn't given too much to do, which I won't argue. But then again some films can get away with having ordinary or subpar villains and still be a good film, like Dredd 2012.
I agree that arguing that Captain America didn't deal more explicitly with the horrors of World War II is a lousy reason to criticise this film.  Thank goodness the filmmakers of this movie had the decency to understand this is a comic-book movie and that references to the worst aspects of the war would have been in bad taste.

However, I do wish the film had been a little more explicit in tying Red Skull to the Nazis.  I realise that the film does touch on this and that HYDRA is a breakaway organisation but a few more references to the real Nazis and their agenda wouldn't have hurt.  I always love a bit of Nazi-bashing, real or fictional (which may partly explain my love of the Indiana Jones films).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

The Avengers is still a lot of fun and with so many heroes involved it could've easily been a huge mess. But it wasn't. I can't think of anything that I really disliked, maybe the fact that it was a bit too light-hearted, a little more tension and drama wouldn't have hurt to give it a more epic feel.

If I could criticize one thing about Avengers, I'd say that the music didn't do the film any justice. I loved Alan Silvestri's music for The First Avenger - it really fit the mood and period that movie was set. But his work for Avengers was rather bland.

I would say that the movie would feel even more energetic if you mix Zimmer's TDKR score, like someone did on YouTube.

I never cared much for Zimmer's music actually. I much prefer Danny Elfman, Alan Silvestri or even James Horner's.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Thu, 25 Jul  2013, 12:58
I never cared much for Zimmer's music actually. I much prefer Danny Elfman, Alan Silvestri or even James Horner's.

I think he has his moments but except for TDKR I have a low regard for his music for BB and TDK.