part II alternate 1985
2 (28.6%)
part II 1955
2 (28.6%)
part III 1885
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: Thu, 22 Oct 2015, 00:10

figured I'd move the discussion here rather than cloud Catwomans random thread with it.

Pleased to see so many people here fans of my favourite film series. Hard to believe we're approaching 30 years and the future from part II is about to become the present.

Anyone play the video game telltale released in 2011?

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 19 Jul  2013, 00:10
Anyone play the video game telltale released in 2011?

I played the demo of the game. I'm not really a fan of those types of games, so it didn't inspire me to buy the full game.

I have heard from others that enjoyed it though.

Part I 1955 has to be my favorite sequence. Mr Sandman playing as Marty is amazed by how different the town was... that's the stuff dreams are made of.

I picked 1955 too.  That whole section of BTTF is the heart of the franchise for me with Marty watching his parents fall in love, giving George the confidence he lacked in the original timeline and inspiring 'Young Doc' in goal in his goal to create a means of time-travel.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I went with Part II 1955 because we got to revisit 1955, see all the familiar sites but see them from a different angle. The performances between the two movies don't always completely match up but maybe that was unavoidable.

Not sure if this is good or bad but BTTF II sets up Biff as a colder, darker and more evil person. With some exceptions, he was mostly played as a bully in the first one but in Part II, he tried to kill Marty (both in the alternate 1985 and in 1955). And come to think of it, he actually did kill George. Anyway.

BTTF is the greatest trilogy ever (as Star Wars can't properly be considered a trilogy anymore).

I can't decide between BttF and The Godfather as the best trilogy.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sun, 21 Jul  2013, 06:52I can't decide between BttF and The Godfather as the best trilogy.
Um, hello? Anybody home? There are only two Godfather movies. Think, McGrayson, think!

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 21 Jul  2013, 06:39
I went with Part II 1955 because we got to revisit 1955, see all the familiar sites but see them from a different angle. The performances between the two movies don't always completely match up but maybe that was unavoidable.

Not sure if this is good or bad but BTTF II sets up Biff as a colder, darker and more evil person. With some exceptions, he was mostly played as a bully in the first one but in Part II, he tried to kill Marty (both in the alternate 1985 and in 1955). And come to think of it, he actually did kill George. Anyway.

BTTF is the greatest trilogy ever (as Star Wars can't properly be considered a trilogy anymore).
I might have gone for the Indiana Jones series if Lucas and Spielberg hadn't screwed it up with 'KOTCS'... ::)

I prefer the first 'BTTF' to any of the Indy films (BTTF is among my top ten all-time favourite films) but as good as the sequels are they're not of the same quality as the virtually flawless first movie (whereas by contrast I genuinely feel that 'Raiders', 'TOD' and 'TLC' are pretty consistent throughout, unlike most trilogies...*cough* Godfather *cough*).

I agree with colors that Biff is pretty much a comical buffoon for most of the first 'BTTF' but he's still shown to be a pretty nasty piece of work by the time he practically tries to sexually assault Lorraine in the parked car, and the expression on his face as he sets about trying to break George's arm is the look of pure twisted evil.

Biff tries to rape Lorraine and tries to run over Marty in the first film so I wouldn't say he got that much darker in the second film.

I liked how Biff (and even Buford in the 3rd film) is an accurate depiction of a bully; they are all smoke an mirrors, once stood up to, they show they are cowards at heart and they aren't so tough without their gangs.

Quote from: riddler on Sun, 21 Jul  2013, 13:42
Biff tries to rape Lorraine and tries to run over Marty in the first film so I wouldn't say he got that much darker in the second film.

I liked how Biff (and even Buford in the 3rd film) is an accurate depiction of a bully; they are all smoke an mirrors, once stood up to, they show they are cowards at heart and they aren't so tough without their gangs.
You're right about Biff being a potential-rapist in the first film, which is pretty close to being as nasty as you can get, but I think what makes Biff an even darker character in the second film is that he succeeds and is actually the winner for a large portion of the movie.  He kills George McFly, marries Lorraine (and although it's not explicit one can assume it's a pretty abusive relationship especially by the conflicted part-aggressive, part-submissive manner Lorraine acts around Biff) and is pretty much one of the most powerful men in America in the alternative 1985.  The alternative 1985 Biff also comes across as much smarter and shrewder than he does in 1955, even if he's still far from a genius, making him seem an even deadlier presence, one who effectively own the police.

In fact the alternative 1985 Hill Valley reminds me in some ways of the Gotham of Batman Returns.  Admittedly, on a superficial level the Gotham of Returns is a much cleaner, aesthetically pleasing and generally more prosperous environment than the low-rent Las Vegas and bikers' paradise of 'Hell Valley' but both fictional cities are effectively owned by vulgar, avaricious 'self-made' multi-millionaires who are practically 'above the law'.  Old Biff handing the Sports Almanac to his dumber, younger self kind of reminds me of Max Shreck plotting to build a power-plant (much like Biff's waste-disposal plant, an environmental disaster for the city it is based in) for his own dim-witted son and heir, in order to preserve his legacy and ensure he, or in Max's case, his son, is set up for life.