What is the Joker's motivation?

Started by Paul (ral), Thu, 26 Jun 2008, 09:50

Previous topic - Next topic
glad you guys are best friens now, it makes me feel even closer to the both of you!  :'(

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

I feel so so alone that Im not in the middle of the sandwich with you two!

Joker didn't really have a motivation, but I like the Penguin's motivation in Returns. Kill all of Gotham's first born infants. Now that is cold.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 30 Oct  2008, 04:36
Joker didn't really have a motivation, but I like the Penguin's motivation in Returns. Kill all of Gotham's first born infants. Now that is cold.
The Penguin wants to kill for revenge and thats about it, after that whats his motive supposed to be?

His death makes sense after his scheme falls through, because you are right, it was personal for him. He would have nothing much else to do except try again in a different film, and repeating themselves in another film that won't be made is pointless.

Look at the Joker before and after his transformation.  It's kind of interesting.

Jack killed people.
Joker killed people as a means of artistic and psychological expression.

Jack was vain.
Joker killed vain people with their own beauty products.

Jack idly wondered about taking over from Grissom at some point.
Joker blew Grissom (and, later, all of his buddies) away.

Jack was scared of Batman.
Joker was captivated by Batman and nearly killed him.

Jack placed strong importance on loyalty.
Joker killed his #1 guy.

Jack was mildly amused by the TV news.
Joker shot the TV.

It seems that the Joker was basically who Jack always was deep down inside but which his plunge into the acid brought to the fore.  The Joker is Jack with all constraints lifted and with no pretense towards fitting in with the rest of society.  Every idle thought or fantasy Jack may have had become top priorities for the Joker.  There were no more restraints, the Joker simply did whatever he wanted.

Great post, colors.

I'd also like to add what he does to Alicia could very well have been a sick fantasy in Jack Napier's head that he brought to life when he became the Joker.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...