Jerry Hall in Batman

Started by Edd Grayson, Sat, 22 Jun 2013, 20:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 25 Jun  2013, 02:54
Quote from: Catwoman on Tue, 25 Jun  2013, 02:16
did i miss that part?
Yes. Eckhart knows. His comment to himself after Jack walks away: "Where you been spending your nights?"
It's subtle but The Dark Knight is right.  Eckhart is Grissom's informant and his 'detective' work appears to confirm Grissom's suspicions about Jack and Alicia's affair (the look Jack gives Alicia when she enters Grissom's penthouse later on seals those suspicions).  I wouldn't be surprised if Grissom was initially getting Eckhart to tail Jack because he suspected Jack had ambitions of eventually usurping Grissom - he talks about Grissom being a tired old man and implies to Eckhart that he'll one day 'run the show', but Jack is a fairly louche figure at this stage and I guess it took a knock into a vat of acid for those incipient ambitions to finally be unleashed.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 25 Jun  2013, 01:58
Strangely, in a way her role in the film is often overlooked. But it's actually pretty significant, more so than most 'supporting females'.

Let's take a look at the role:

Carl Grissom's young kept, play-thing.
Uses his money to go shopping.
Is cheating with Jack Napier.
Carl finds out via Eckhart, thus sets him up at Axis Chemicals.
Jack lives, though is transformed, and kills Carl "over a WOMAN!"
She remains with Jack and becomes 'a living piece of art.'
She dies.

She is integral to Jack Joker coming into being.
Exactly.  Alicia inadvertently plays an integral role in the plot.  Her affair with Jack effectively puts the plot into motion.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

What did you think of they way Alicia was treated by the Joker? I love the scene where she faints after seeing the Joker for the first time.

The Joker turning her into a "living work of art" eventually led to her death and he didn't seem to care very much even though he called it a tragedy (can't make an omlette without breaking some eggs), which is true to his character. But I did feel sorry for Alicia.

Mon, 23 Jun 2014, 06:40 #13 Last Edit: Mon, 23 Jun 2014, 06:42 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sun, 22 Jun  2014, 15:54
What did you think of they way Alicia was treated by the Joker? I love the scene where she faints after seeing the Joker for the first time.

The Joker turning her into a "living work of art" eventually led to her death and he didn't seem to care very much even though he called it a tragedy (can't make an omlette without breaking some eggs), which is true to his character. But I did feel sorry for Alicia.
I doubt The Joker thought her death was a tragedy. This is a guy who kills Bob, his lifelong friend, without a care. I think the transformation changed his perspective of her dramatically. Alicia was vain (Jack was too) and had her portraits hanging everywhere. Her looks were vitally important to her fashion career, thus Jack, as the Joker, scarred her. Bringing her down to his level, pushing his 'death by beauty product' agenda. He would have moved on rather quickly.

He said to Vicki that he's had a tragedy in his lie, when Alicia threw herself out on the window and he didn't seem to care very much so I agree, it wasn't really a tragedy. You're right about Bob too.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Mon, 23 Jun  2014, 12:25
He said to Vicki that he's had a tragedy in his lie, when Alicia threw herself out on the window and he didn't seem to care very much so I agree, it wasn't really a tragedy. You're right about Bob too.
It's also possible Joker killed Alicia himself.

The thing about comedians is they like to tell stories. They are just speaking and not feeling what they say, because they don't really care about the subject matter per se. They laugh and move onto their next punchline.