Batman Returns at 21

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 10 Jun 2013, 05:20

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: GBglide on Tue, 11 Jun  2013, 07:47
Quote from: OutRiddled on Tue, 11 Jun  2013, 03:42
Lucky enough to see both Burton Batman movies on original release.

You're lucky, I've never seen a Batman movie in the theater.  :(

Really?

I've seen every Batman movie in the theatres.  EXCEPT for Batman and Robin.  I won't count Mask of the Phantasm or anything released before I was born!

Batman '89 must have been a blast.. I only have vague memories, though.  My parents must have been Batman fans because at 8 years old, I doubt I knew anything about Batman (maybe the 60s show, I don't remember).

Quote from: OutRiddled on Thu, 13 Jun  2013, 14:22

Really?

I made the awful choice of seeing Ghostbusters 2 instead.  :-[

Quote from: GBglide on Thu, 13 Jun  2013, 14:30
Quote from: OutRiddled on Thu, 13 Jun  2013, 14:22

Really?

I made the awful choice of seeing Ghostbusters 2 instead.  :-[

I saw Ghostbusters 2 as well.   8)

Ghostbusters 2 wasn't released until the Christmas holidays in the UK back in the days when films were released a good few months in the UK after their US release.  I was lucky enough to see both Ghostbusters 2 and Back to the Future 2 on the big screen in December 1989.

I didn't get to see Batman at the cinema though. [sad]  It was a choice between that and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in the Summer of 1989.  I wasn't old enough to see Batman since it had a '12' certificate in the UK so I ended up seeing Indiana Jones instead, which I don't regret because it is also an excellent film in its own right.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

My 12 year old self wasn't really ready for BR but I saw it in the theaters anyway. Didn't start liking it until I was 17 thanks to Mr. Schumacher!
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: gordonblu on Sun, 16 Jun  2013, 04:47
My 12 year old self wasn't really ready for BR but I saw it in the theaters anyway. Didn't start liking it until I was 17 thanks to Mr. Schumacher!
The first Batman film I saw in the cinema was 'Batman & Robin'.  :(

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 16 Jun  2013, 04:56
Batman Forever was mine.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 16 Jun  2013, 05:20
Batman Forever was mine.
Same with me, and I saw Batman & Robin two years later. Those were the only Batman movies I saw at the cinema unfortunately.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 16 Jun  2013, 05:25
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 16 Jun  2013, 05:20
Batman Forever was mine.
Same with me, and I saw Batman & Robin two years later. Those were the only Batman movies I saw at the cinema unfortunately.
I've seen all of the films in cinema from BF onwards. And in an era of grit and gloom, I'm rediscovering and appreciating those Schumacher flicks more than ever. They are from a different time. I loved them as a kid - and now as a loosened up adult. The future isn't providing this material it seems, so I have to look back.

I made an effort to catch 'Batman Returns' on the big screen at the BFI during a Tim Burton retrospective a few years back and hope to one day catch 'Batman (1989)', still my favourite live-action Batman movie, on the big-screen too but it's not really the same as seeing a film for the first time at the cinema during its initial release. 

Unfortunately, I was a bit too young for the Burton Batman films when they were released in the UK due to the '12' certificate and for some reason I bypassed 'Batman Forever' (probably due to lack of funds) so 'Batman & Robin' was my first big-screen Batman experience.  In fact, I managed to get tickets to a preview screening which was being shown simultaneously with its London premiere and therefore included a short 'On the Red Carpet' item presented by Bradley Walsh (who UK posters might know and love from TV's 'The Chase').  As it happens, the red-carpet item turned out to be the highlight of the evening; Walsh was fun in his interviews with the stars and took Schumacher's condescending remark that he would be good for a 'spoof Batman' (surely this was the 'spoof Batman film') with good-humour, and the various ladies from the film including Uma Thurman and Vendela looked damn hot at the premiere.  Pity the subsequent film was so bad.  Still, I've seen all the Nolan films at the cinema (and the latter two at on an IMAX screen) and will endeavour to see all future Batman movies on the big-screen.