Favourite Batman theme tune? ELFMAN vs ZIMMER

Started by Batman999, Fri, 12 Apr 2013, 09:59

Previous topic - Next topic
which of the 2 iconic theme tunes do u prefer. if one why do u prefer that one.

for me i can't split them. both are fantastic and IMO very different reasons. I love how dark and eerie the elfman theme tune is- very in accord with the burton movies. but the zimmer theme tune is more epic sounding to me (for want of a better word).

both r 10/10 IMO but for different reasons. i'd sorta prefer the zimmer theme played if it was a car chase or major action set-piece type scene and the elfman one played at the beginning and other major parts of the movie.

what do u think?

Here's the thing: as far as Hans Zimmer is concerned, I only liked the soundtrack he made for The Dark Knight Rises. Even though there were quite a few themes here and there recycled from the last two soundtracks, I still liked the music he provided for this movie a lot. But as far as the rest of the music for the last two movies is concerned - I flat out HATED them! I thought they were far from epic and were mostly dull and forgettable, and that awful excuse for the Joker's theme in the second movie was especially an ear-piercing offense to the ears.  >:( But in TDKR, I felt the music improved a lot; it was more exciting and memorable. Having said that though I never cared for the theme that Zimmer created for Batman, in fact I'd say I find Bane's theme to be far more exciting and memorable. I'd even say there were parts of Bane's theme that reminded me of Elfman composing.

But I still say that Danny Elfman's theme is better. To me it had that adventurous, swashbuckling feeling and I thought his music was a better influence to other scores, particularly the ones heard in The Flash TV Series (which I think Elfman himself composed), BTAS and sometimes Raimi's Spider-Man.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The man with the Elves is my favourite Batman composer and Birth of a Penguin/Main Title is my favourite cue. Nothing is going to top that.

The MOTP opening is pretty freaking epic too.

No piece of (bat) music has ever captured the dark, tortured essence of Batman quite as well as this:

With fancy moves like that, it's no wonder the criminal fraternity is so scared of him.

The Batman franchise has been blessed with some great musical themes.  I also like the Batman Live music by James Brett and Christopher Drake's work in the DCAU movies (In Darkness Dwells for Gotham Knight, Under The Red Hood, The Dark Knight Returns Parts I and II).

To answer the topic question, I like both, but if I had to pick between the two composer's works, I'd pick Elfman, without question.  The fact that it was adopted by BTAS and, more recently, the LEGO Batman videogames says a lot.  It's, in my opinion, the equivalent to John Williams' Superman theme. 

But if I had to pick my favorite Batman theme out of the whole bunch- from the 1943 serial music to The Dark Knight Returns adaptation- it'd have to be Shirley Walker's Batman theme due to its versatility. 

The BTAS/MOTP theme is so simple, yet just as memorable to me as Elfman's and Goldenthal's.  It can be arranged in so many different contexts. 

It can convey heroism. 

It can be a driven action theme 

It can even be optimistic- listen to it at the end of Two-Face Part II.

On top of that, though, it's always made me feel a sense of tragedy, too.  When I listen to it, especially with the vocal arrangement from MOTP, I don't just picture Batman fighting crime.  I can also envision the traumatized child in Crime Alley, kneeling by the bodies of his parents.  The orphan boy making his unbreakable vow.  The grown man fighting a war he will never win.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

yeah i loved some of the music in gotham knight. particular in the final 3 parts towards the end.

and some of the visuals of gotham were great in that aswell

Also loved Drake's work for TDKR (no score released, yet)

Yeah there were a few parts of the dark knight returns which were musically great. the music in this scene is great.

i hope the next batman series has something like this- keep the joker in it until the very last film. sorta like this one .. and then kill him off. although the superman thing> BIG NO NO. (but thats a debate for another thread).