Blue Batman

Started by GothamAlleys, Wed, 20 Mar 2013, 18:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Paul (ral) on Thu, 21 Mar  2013, 20:39
Wasn't a blue suit as a result of black not coming out well in the printing process back in the day?
I think this has something to do with it.

Good to see a new addition to your site, GothamAlleys. Always a joy to read.

Great article, GothamAlleys.  If I find any more references, I'll let you know but I'd say you have a good amount of evidence.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Fri, 22 Mar 2013, 20:23 #13 Last Edit: Fri, 22 Mar 2013, 20:31 by SilentEnigma
Quote from: Paul (ral) on Thu, 21 Mar  2013, 20:39
Wasn't a blue suit as a result of black not coming out well in the printing process back in the day?

Agreed

http://cdn1.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/batman-infographic.jpg

This picture was posted in the comments section of the article. If anything, it shows that there is not a constant suit (even if you exclude the live action versions), and in several occasions it appears to be very dark blue or black with blue highlights. Works better IMO.

Something completely unrelated, but I'll put it to GothamAlleys here anyway.

Is there an article you can do about Batman and The Joker's weight throughout their publication/filmic/animated history?

Well I did one on Batman's physique, althought his body was changing so often and so much that Im not sure of my article myself - http://www.gothamalleys.blogspot.com/2011/10/batmans-physical-appearance.html

I have a collection of Batman Dailies that started running in 1943 around the time the serial premiered. 

In the first story, Batman implies that he is 180 pounds when he comes across a possible trap (The line itself is "An ounce of precaution can be worth 180 pounds of Batman.").  If you want, I can try to scan the panel.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Mon, 25 Mar  2013, 03:33
I have a collection of Batman Dailies that started running in 1943 around the time the serial premiered. 

In the first story, Batman implies that he is 180 pounds when he comes across a possible trap (The line itself is "An ounce of precaution can be worth 180 pounds of Batman.").  If you want, I can try to scan the panel.
Interesting, thanks.

I'm interested in how The Joker has been presented more specifically. I like how he's shown as this impossibly thin guy who can move around well and hold his own, ala the Arkhamverse. 

I've been thinking about writing something on the history of Batman's size/strength level in the comics. I'll have to get on with that at some point.

QuoteIn the first story, Batman implies that he is 180 pounds when he comes across a possible trap (The line itself is "An ounce of precaution can be worth 180 pounds of Batman.").

The 180 lbs figure is correct. Nowadays many guides state the Golden Age Batman was 6'2 and 210 lbs, but those are the stats for the Modern Age Batman. The Golden Age Batman's height and weight were given in 'The Batman Encyclopaedia' (Detective Comics #214, December 1954), where he's said to be 6'1 and 180 lbs.

As for the Joker, he's meant to be 6'0 and 160 lbs. So he has to have a very slender build. This has been consistent throughout the character's history.