Spawn the animated series

Started by HarryCanyon, Sun, 3 Mar 2013, 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Excellent, dark and unique animated adaptation of Todd Mcfarlane's 90s hit comic is also from the same producers of Batman TAS and Gargoyles with a few of the same designers, i loved this since i was 15 when it first aired on HBO and been a fan of the comics since issue 1. Keith David, Richard Dystart and many more were on this show and i like how Madhouse animation was involved with the style.

I only saw a few episodes - it was shown on Channel 4 here in the UK very late at night.

The first two seasons of Spawn on HBO were easily light years better than the 1997 live action movie.

Third season I didn't really care for as much, but yeah, Seasons 1-2 were pretty spectacular. If/when Spawn gets a film reboot, it should definately be less of a run of the mill Superhero CGI spectacle, and more of a gritty urban horror film that's much more in line with some of the graphic imagery that was presented in the HBO series, as well as the comic book themselves.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu,  7 Mar  2013, 20:30If/when Spawn gets a film reboot, it should definately be less of a run of the mill Superhero CGI spectacle, and more of a gritty urban horror film that's much more in line with some of the graphic imagery that was presented in the HBO series, as well as the comic book themselves.
Saw some interview with McFarlane on YouTube where he talks about the Spawn reboot. His description sounded like it would be up your alley.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu,  7 Mar  2013, 21:01
Saw some interview with McFarlane on YouTube where he talks about the Spawn reboot. His description sounded like it would be up your alley.

It's true, McFarlane has been talking about a more adult Spawn movie for a number of years now. But any news on the project moving forward has remained very minuscule. Though I have had the thought that if DREDD would have done better at the box office, Spawn might have reaped the benefits on that success and would be on the fast track on getting into production right now rather than just McFarlane pitching the notion of doing it. As, similar to Judge Dredd, Spawn is a non-DC/Marvel character that has notoriety with comic fans, and general audiences alike.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Maybe some properties are better suited as R-Rated mini-series by the likes of HBO and Showtime than as films.

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Thu,  7 Mar  2013, 23:44Maybe some properties are better suited as R-Rated mini-series by the likes of HBO and Showtime than as films.
Maybe this isn't the thread for it but I think a lot of fans are way too fixated on film as a format for adaptation when television is arguably better in a lot of cases as far as storytelling goes.

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Thu,  7 Mar  2013, 23:44
Maybe some properties are better suited as R-Rated mini-series by the likes of HBO and Showtime than as films.

Given how Hollywood has unevenly adapted the Punisher a couple of times, something along the lines of HBO/Showtime could indeed be the right way to go with that particular property. With Spawn, I think it could work either way to be perfectly honest. Much of it depends on what approach is being taken with it. The overall gist of Spawn is fairly simplistic, and with how one can typically expect changes from what has been established in the comics, to the transition of being adapted for film, there is definite room for improvement.