NECA's 89 Batman and 66 Batman Figures!

Started by DarkVengeance, Sun, 10 Feb 2013, 23:59

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 10 Feb 2013, 23:59 Last Edit: Mon, 11 Feb 2013, 00:03 by DarkVengeance
These look so amazing, I cannot wait for their release!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Wait, wait wait.... when did NECA pick up the rights for B89? Holy sh*t--are they going to do any more? A Joker? This may be my chance to get something like the Hot Toys figures I didn't dare spend so much money on!

Man, Adam West and Michael Keaton.... according to my earliest memories, those two aren't actors, they are Batman. Would be nice to get a Val and George to go with them, though. But not likely. Hell, throw in Lewis Wilson and I'll buy 'em all!
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Honestly I don't think the Keaton figure looks all that great.  It's like he's been sucking on a lemon or something... the eyes don't look right.  I can't put my finger on it.  It's not quite as bang-on at the Hot Toys version.  Then again, it'll probably be much more affordable.   ;)

Yeah, the eyeholes and eyes are too high. But hey, anything like that that's supposed to represent B89? I'm in.

These things from NECA usually go for $90. Way better that $250-300 for the Hot Toys.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

I was a little annoyed when I first saw this Keaton figure but is this going to be a larger size or are we talking Terminator style sized Neca figures? I hope it's the former. I bought the Hot Toys Keaton and Nicholson figures. In all due respect detail wise this Neca variant is a bit crap with the facial likeness. Plus I doubt it will have the amazing realistic clothing/suit materials on the far more expensive but more worth it Hot Toys.

Adam West looks fine but his facial expression is a bit strange. Always saw his Batman as having a friendly grin than a savage grimace.

These suckers are bigger than the Hot Toys, 18 inches. No clothing--it's all sculpted plastic. But given that I hear the rubber material on a Hot Toys Batman can eventually drgrade, I think that's better.

It probably won't come with more than maybe one accessory, and although very well articulated, it won't be as posable as the Hot Toys figure, but it's infinitely more affordable.

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Mon, 11 Feb  2013, 19:17
Man, Adam West and Michael Keaton.... according to my earliest memories, those two aren't actors, they are Batman.
The Doc is right. West, Keaton, Conroy...all legends. The big three.

The Neca figure will be about half the price if not  even less half than the Hot Toys, which I really cannot afford to buy just for a collectible. This is the middle ground and while I agree the Keaton does not look 100% accurate its one of the most accurate 89 figures aside from the Hot Toys.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Mon, 11 Feb  2013, 20:18
Yeah, the eyeholes and eyes are too high. But hey, anything like that that's supposed to represent B89? I'm in.

I think that's exactly it.  Looks like the head overall is too "long"... that's okay... I have the Hot Toys version so unless this one turns out looking way cooler than the prototype I won't need it.  Still... nice to see the Keaton Batman getting some more of his due.  ;)

What's awesome is that over on the Sideshow Collectibles Forum (not the official one, I don't think), there's a thread talking about the figure already, and someone did a photoshop of the head with the likeness tweaked and perfected... and the sculpter himself showed up, acknowledged that he rushed the job to have the proto ready for Toy Fair, and said he would use the photoshop as reference to tweak the sculpt.

So I think the final version will be flawless, fingers crossed!