Slow-Moving Batman - I love it!

Started by LongLiveTheBatman, Sun, 3 Feb 2013, 01:38

Previous topic - Next topic
I love the way Keaton acts and moves in the suit.

I remember a clip of Tim Burton directing him briefly about not moving too much inside the suit. He just seems more statue-esque that way, like a looming shadow. There's just a lot of power oozing in the way he uses his body language in this. I can't imagine a hyper Batman.

The way it looks bulky and the fact he CANT turn his head (thick neck!) to me, makes him look more intimidating. (In boxing and martial art science they say it's not a big chin that prevents you from getting knocked out, it's the strong neck muscles that absorb the torque.)

I love how in the final scene Joker is rushing Vale up the steps, but Batman with unwavering confidence just slowly makes his way up the Cathederal, as if stalking his prey. Of course for every slow deliberate movement we get to see Batman fight in exciting fashion.

He seems more mysterious to me with little movement. He doesn't seem jittery, hyper, or anything like that. At the very beginning of the first draft, he's easily mistaken for one of the gargoyles atop the roof. 1989 Batman is like a moving statue, very deliberate in his movements, and very intimidating! 

You nailed it, LongLiveTheBatman.

The 'bat turns' when Gordon says 'hold it right there!' are my favourites. Animalistic and precise.

Mon, 4 Feb 2013, 08:13 #3 Last Edit: Mon, 4 Feb 2013, 08:22 by LongLiveTheBatman
Thanks guys!

Yeah whenever someone pointed out, "Haha Batman can't even turn his head in this movie." I would always think, "Um? Congratulations on your find?"

The neck section of the costume tends to go underappreciated. The wide neck dictates a larger, thicker, cowl/mask. It also makes the trap muscles or area between the neck and shoulders, look bigger, more intimidating. The whole upper-section of the torso makes Batman appear massive. After Batman 1989, the following cowls would go with a "sleeker" design. But this one made Batman look more "massive," "bulky," and "intimidating."

I remember rewatching this and noticing how slowly he moved. He just looks very sure of himself. The poses Keaton chooses are great too. He looks strong in every frame. I thought in my head (especially in some shots) "he looks like a damn moving statue!" lol He seems the most haunting in this movie for me.

No Coincidence
I tried looking for all the behind-the-scenes footage I could find. I found one of the more popular Making Of's. That's where I saw the small clip of Burton directing Keaton on "not too much movement." Burton was really on to something. The way Batman moves is so deliberate from a directorial point of view. Burton knew what he wanted.... and helped Keaton "refine" the mannerisms of Batman for the screen.

Early script
I started to look for more of the Batman 1989 scripts, just out of curiosity. Even from the very beginning of the script we get this:

"  On the rooftop far above us, STONE GARGOYLES gaze down from
     their shadowy, windswept perches, keeping monstrous watch
     over the distant streets below, sightless guardians of the
     Gotham night.

One of them is moving.
"

When I read that I thought "So Im not crazy. This moving statue feeling is intentional." Sam Hamm who wrote the screenplay, Burton, Keaton, the producers... are all responsible for the legendary performance of Batman in the movie. Sam Hamm may have had an idea of a slow, minimal, moving Batman from the beginning.

Now I'm not sure of how much of this is intentional, but we do know they were going for a very dark intimidating look for Batman. Each person (Keaton, Burton, Producers, Costume Makers) put in their best efforts to make it happen. The result was monumental. It changed minds everywhere. Batman became a symbol of power, not just in the comics but on screen. The movie inspired courage and strength in those who watched it. It would also influence the Action genre as a whole.

None of that could have been done if Batman looked distractingly weak or wimpy. The confident movement inside the suit helped further sell Batman's presence. Sometimes it's what you don't do that speaks volumes.

You can read in my interview with Keaton's stunt double Dave Lea that Burton would constantly tell him how to stand.

http://www.batman-online.com/features/2009/12/19/michael-keaton-stunt-double-dave-lea-interview/3

QuoteI kept being told "Dave straighten up." "Walk this way, walk that way." "Keep you posture up. Don't hunch your shoulders." Everything is the character, and I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about - in keeping your back straight and chin up you're the character. You're not a boxer or a street fighter.

Yep. That comment doesn't surprise me as Burton puts a lot of emphasis on the image. It's a large part of what film is all about.

He's a walking wall of justice. Capable of lifting you off your feet by the scruff of the neck and keeping you there without showing any exhaustion. Hell, he'll even throw in a little smile.

Exactly^

And Ral, thank you so much for that! Just saw the link now. I remember that David Lea spent so much time in that suit too and he also helped make Batman's movement and march look so bold too. Will definitely post back after reading it. :D

OMG.......

THANK........ YOU!

Very great interview and amazing work on the site. That interview is one of a kind.

Burton really had a strong idea of how Batman would move in the film.

I also found the craziest thing to learn that block and tackle was real. Had that thing hit him, who knows what would have happened! I know I'll keep thinking about that every time I watch the belfry scene.

Another interesting part was Catwoman vs. Dave Lea. Jack Nicholson visiting the set of BR was something I had no idea about. Tremendous interview.

Thanks!

My favourite part was when he told me the head butt in the Batman Returns scene was real and unplanned...I laughed my ass off.

Tue, 5 Feb 2013, 03:35 #9 Last Edit: Tue, 5 Feb 2013, 12:03 by LongLiveTheBatman
Haha yes!

Just a few moments ago, I realized I forgot to mention I liked that part. Burton's reaction the next day was priceless too.

Edit:

From one of @The Dark Knight's threads......

....It's beautiful. XD