Introducing the Bat

Started by Slash Man, Sun, 27 Jan 2013, 22:41

Previous topic - Next topic
Whenever a new Batman series is started, it was always an important factor to decide how to introduce Batman. Personally, I think Batman: The Movie did it perfectly. They waste no time in showing an example of Batman's heroics at night in Gotham. Sure enough, we're then introduced to the man behind the mask, Bruce Wayne, and much later, we're given a brief flashback of what inspired Batman's origin.

Sure enough, that's quite similar to Batman's origin in the comics (Detective Comics #27). Batman is on the scene of just another crime case in Gotham. Meanwhile, Bruce Wayne is introduced, and it's only by the end of that issue that we are told they're the same. A few issues later, Batman's origin is given through a brief flashback. Amazingly, it is very similar to how it's portrayed in the movie.

The Animated Series is also similar in that it doesn't waste time trying to explain the specifics of his backstory. In fact, even less is given here (only vague mentions).

In conclusion, I tend to prefer this method over the approach that Batman Begins took, which was just to show everything from the beginning. Batman is a character shrouded in shadows. Less is more when it comes to the Dark Knight.

It's more interesting than the linear way they write origin movies today. They need to break story conventions like this again. We're right into the action in the first Batman. What a entrance! (No kid falling down a well playing "finders keepers" here thank you very much  ;D).

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sun, 27 Jan  2013, 22:54It's more interesting than the linear way they write origin movies today. They need to break story conventions like this again. We're right into the action in the first Batman. What a entrance! (No kid falling down a well playing "finders keepers" here thank you very much  ;D).
I get your point and I agree but Nolan has always given the impression, esp with BB, that if Burton did it, he would try to avoid it. So he went out of his way to do things a little bit differently. As you say, that's not how it has to be done every time. My point is that Nolan had a purpose in breaking away from Burton's approach.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 28 Jan  2013, 00:57
Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sun, 27 Jan  2013, 22:54It's more interesting than the linear way they write origin movies today. They need to break story conventions like this again. We're right into the action in the first Batman. What a entrance! (No kid falling down a well playing "finders keepers" here thank you very much  ;D).
I get your point and I agree but Nolan has always given the impression, esp with BB, that if Burton did it, he would try to avoid it. So he went out of his way to do things a little bit differently. As you say, that's not how it has to be done every time. My point is that Nolan had a purpose in breaking away from Burton's approach.

That's one thing I can give Nolan props for. Of course, there were some recycled ideas, but I'd label those more as homages.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 28 Jan  2013, 01:23

True! One of many.

Agreed they felt more like deliberate homages than recycled ideas.

Another time it was obvious was the ballroom scene in Dark Knight Rises. That was a nice treat for Returns fans.

I had no issues too. They were nice homages. Sometimes I do wonder if they were merely accidental however. Wish I could ask Nolan. Even the scene in Batman Begins Batmobile chase, with Rachael and Batman, seemed like a homage to the Viki Vale and Batman Batmobile scene from the first film. Rachael even had a similar line to Viki on seeing the Batcave: "Why did you bring me here?" before Batman knocks her out too lol

In Rises ballroom scene I started expecting to here "Face to Face" to start playing.

The "I'm Batman" line uttered by Bale is my favourite of all. I remember it brought a massive smile to my face. If that wasn't a reference to Michael Keaton then somebody was lying. It was also Batman's first on screen appearance in eight years and I don't think a more perfect quote could have chosen to welcome him back.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 28 Jan  2013, 01:23
One sequence of vague similarity... meanwhile, Nolan mostly tends toward different story beats, different visual style, different design aethetics, different type of musical score, etc etc etc. Even if that's intended to be a wink to B89, it's one similarity in a sea of differences.